The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

yes, that language was already posted in this thread and seems basically meaningless.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Thanks for ruining any talk of a new Revis holdout in 2 years!

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Wait, what? How is that meaningless?

4. WhiteShoeWillis

There's no reason for me to "oops". I was pissed that he held out to the point where he hurt the team. He did, that hasn't changed. My other bitching was based on the hypothetical scenario of him holding out into the regular season. That didn't happen, but I see no reason to say "oops" based on my speculation of a hypothetical scenario.

Hopefully Revis isn't winded in the 4th quarter of a close game next Monday.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

Because why would they give a shit if they had years voided or not? If they feel they want more money they can just hold out again. What makes you think that would stop them? I was hoping to see a pay back clause, or something more tangible.

6. ........

........ Trolls

So, the opinion of 35 years of collective NFL experience isn't good enough to at least partly allay that fear? To at least somewhat ease your opinion that his holdout hurt the team?

7. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

8. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not following this post.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Revis looks like he got LOST on his own island and finally someone came to rescue him...Time to get a shave and haircut buddy

[​IMG]

10. bojanglesman

He couldn't afford a razor until he signed the new deal. :rofl:

11. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Good thing they didn't show Geiger

[​IMG]

12. ........

........ Trolls

If he holds out, he'll only see $20.5 million of that money. The other amounts on the option bonus cover play in the final 2 years. It gets escrowed or paid up front, but it most definitely prevents him from holding out unless he wants to lose the other $12 million.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

If this is the case than the deal is much better. It doesn't really fit with "At the end of the 2011 season, Revis will have $32.5 million.", but this is Florio.

14. ........

........ Trolls

He will have $32.5 million. It's 'paid' just like a signing bonus is paid even if the payments are spread out. It has to be put in escrow. However, if he holds out, the Jets will sure as hell go to court in that situation, and they'll most certainly be able to show that the option bonus covered future play. In fact, since a holdout takes the void off the table, they'd probably be able to kill the $12 million AND take out the prorated portion of years 5 - 7, too. I'm assuming that's what the agents were talking about when they said a holdout was prohibited until 2014. His signing bonus this year only had $1.6 million of coverage left, and it was probably paid up front as it was a lesser amount. That situation would be VERY different.

15. bojanglesman

Where did you see this? You mean Florio is........wrong???? Has that ever happened?:rofl:

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Florio just loves to throw gasoline on the fire. I would wait and see the exact wording of the deal.

17. ........

........ Trolls

I didn't see it anywhere, but it's exactly what happened in the Vick situation. Even if Woody opts to pay his entire option bonus at once (which would be foolish IMO), the mechanism is there to recoup all of the money that hinged on future performance of his contract. That money is HUGE in this situation, which will keep him from holding out.

I wouldn't even be surprised if the Jets were able to recoup more than $12 million of it if Revis killed his void by holding out.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

Well I'm much more comfortable with the deal if you're correct. I did not see where the agents said a holdout was prohibited.

19. ........

........ Trolls

That was the tweet from Hubbuch. He said that Revis' agents indicated that the contract would prohibit a holdout before 2014.

20. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Well theoretically, the Jets would have paid Reevis $32M over the next two years. If he wants to, he can sit out again after two years. I'm not waying he will, but he could argue that the next two years (2012 and 2013 - asuming there is no holdout) he will be grossly underpaid. The fact that three more years would kick into the contract could be seen (depending on your viewpoint) as immaterial if you think that Revis would be willing to hold out again. The situation would be similar (although the numbers would be different) than what just happened.

No matter how you look at it, Reevis (or any other player) can always hold out when it's in his best interest. If he does, and the team is desperate enough they will eventually up their ante until they hit some limit (which theoretically whould be higher than the $13M he is scheduled to make in years 3 and 4 of the contract). Personnally, If the Jets could have pulled it off, I would much rather have seen a $32M signing bonus that would have been payed out evenly over the next four years. In my mind that would have been much more of a deterrent against future hold-outs.

I don't care how good a player is. You simply can't have a player that is so valuable hold out every 2-3 years (not saying that it's a foregone conclusion that he will in 2012). With a salary cap in football you can't guarantee players that they will be the highest paid player at their position over an extended amount of time or you are asking for cap trouble at some point. You have to have some of your star players willing be paid less than "best in the league" during certain years or you will be in cap hell. If you front-load contracts you actually increase the possibility of holdouts in later years happening if the player is willing to suffer the negative issues.

And yes I know that everyone is happy that Revis is back. However, I see no problem with commenting on the likelihood of the future actions considering that the Jets haven't played a real game yet and there's plently of time until next Monday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.