The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Assuming all of PFT's details are correct it's pretty much a two-year deal with Revis getting $16mm per.

Enjoy the next two years because Revis is either getting a new deal going into 2012 or will holdout again. At least he's on the field this season.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

So this is really a 2 year bandaid. After next season, Tanny will likely work on that 10 year deal.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

4. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

The only good thing about it is if he decides to hold out again in 2 years, we'll have all the leverage again. But hopefully this time we have a SB win already.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I am frankly still ticked that he missed pretty much all of training camp by holding out for this because in so doing he acted selfishly, created an avoidable distraction and hurt the team's chances for success. Now we are told that he is going to be ready and our D is going to be ready to play the season and the Ravens on 1 week of practice. I hope that is true, but I really question it.

There is no reason to think that he had to hold out and create a big scene and a distraction in order to get this deal done. I hope the team doesn't suffer for this hold out.

6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

So basically he is the highest paid CB, these two years will take him though the Aso's contract.

I'm sure that's exactly how Tanny worded it too.

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Nnamdi Asomugha's contract was for 3 years $45.3 million.

With $28.5 million guaranteed. Darrelle got $46 million with $32 million guaranteed.

He earns more during the duration of Aso's final 2 years and has more total compensation.

Tanny is a genius.

8. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

You really think the Tanny and co. would actually negotiate as much if he was still playing? His contract has 3 years left on it, if there were any difficulties in negotiating (where there obviously were), they would just move on. This is much different than the Mangold and Brick situations. Holding out was the only was to maximize the chances that he gets a new deal this year.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

heh.

What did the leverage do for the Jets this time? He got better than Nnamdi money for 2 years and he can simply hold out until the Jets cave again in 2012. It looks to me like Tannenbaum was fleeced. I'm glad it was a short term deal though.

10. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I agree. I'd rather them pay Revis massive money over 2 years than 10 years which could have been the case.

11. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Let's not guarantee a hold out just yet.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm not guaranteeing anything but all signs point to that being the case IMO. I can see the player XYZ is making more than Revis this year articles already.

What is the deal with Tanny/Revis and these voidable years anyway? I can't remember hearing about them anywhere else.

13. ........

........ Trolls

^ You kept your mouth shut about the deal for 5 hours until you could find something to start complaining about Revis again. This is just sad.

Option bonuses, like roster bonuses, can be prorated regardless of when they're paid. They can also be paid out across multiple seasons, just like signing bonuses, provided the money is placed in escrow. The ONLY thing the option bonus does is provide a mechanism to guarantee that money against BOTH injury and skill.

If Revis holds out again after receiving an $18 million option bonus (which will likely be paid out over the following two seasons), he can kiss $12 million of that money goodbye. The Jets can do what the Falcons did with Vick and recoup that option bonus. For contract purposes, it "looks" like Revis will make $32.5 million over the next two years. The reality of receiving that money is very different, and this is an ENTIRELY different situation than the one he faced this year, in which (with the opt out), he only had two years of a much smaller bonus, and one that was likely all paid out up front.

#12273 ........, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  14. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

No point in worrying about this shit now, we can do that later.

Dumb question, if there is a holdout all next year, do players get paid/not paid if they are under contract, or does that differ for each player?

15. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm sorry, are you internet stalking me now? That is the sad thing here, if anything. I knew you were up to no good with your comment earlier about me being quiet. For the record, I made my first comment (trying to find out details) about Revis about 2 hours after I got home for the weekend. Maybe I should fill you in on the details as to what took so long? I'll get you a complete TPS report tomorrow.

If you have a problem with my opinion feel free to tell me why. Don't act like a ragged out girlfriend who I gave the wrong look to.

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

None get paid.

17. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Change the thread title to "Revis not holding out right now, update pending."

18. ........

........ Trolls

Not internet stalking. Just saw your posts and found it amusing that this is the first you've chosen to comment.

I made a comment about you being quiet because you flew off the handle completely over the last few weeks on the Revis issue, and then were silent. No "Oops", no nothing.

And I edited my post so you can see that this is hardly a harbinger of doom.

19. 624

624 Banned

NYPost_Hubbuch

Revis' agents indicated there is language in the new deal that would prevent another holdout between now and 2014. #Jets

20. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Wow! We got him under 12M a year and got language that prevents him from pulling this shit in the future. Amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.