The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I was thinking about the same thing.

I don't know if you caught it, but in an interview about a week ago, Kyle Wilson said he has talked to Revis. The quote was something like, "Yeah, I've talked to him. Not about his contract or anything, but regarding questions about the position"

2. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

TheJetsStream

Full story on #Jets Darrelle Revis' 4-year, $46M ($32M guaranteed) deal. http://tinyurl.com/25svgqa #nfl #nyj @Revis24

Jets agree to 4-year, $46 million deal ($32 million guaranteed) with Darrelle Revis »

By Manish Mehta

NOTE: Updated several times throughout Sunday night/Monday morning.

The man with his own island is officially back.

The Jets agreed to a deal in principle with All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis around 11:45 pm on Sunday night. It's a 4-year, $46 million deal -- with $32 million guaranteed -- according to sources. (It's technically a 7-year deal that will easily be voided to four years).

A few hours after The Daily News first reported on Twitter Sunday night that Rex Ryan flew down to South Florida on Saturday to meet with Darrelle Revis to discuss the contract impasse, the deal was done.

After midnight, Revis wrote this message on his official Twitter account: "To my family, neil, & john I love u guys I'm comin home baby!!! Revis Island LET'S GO."

Minutes later, Revis tweeted again: "it not has only been hard on u guys but it has for me too. I just want to tell yall that I'm sorry for this process and I can't wait to get back on the field."

Revis will fly up to New Jersey Monday to sign the contract.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum later confirmed that Ryan flew down to Florida along with owner Woody Johnson to meet with Revis, his mother Diana Gilbert and his uncle Sean Gilbert.

“That happened pretty quick,” general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. “We had countless meetings, countless meals, countless Roscoe Diners… We just felt like it was not going to get done in the traditional dynamic. It happened real quick. It was a really important step to get Sean, Diana, Darrelle, Rex and Woody together. Again we talked all day (Sunday). Finally we were able to nudge it across the line. There’s no question that without that step, I doubt we’d be sitting where we are right now."

Tannenbaum said it’d be up to Ryan whether Revis will play in the Sept. 13 season opener, but sources told the Daily News that Revis will definitely be ready to go for the Jets Monday night season opener against the Baltimore Ravens.

Revis, who was scheduled to earn $1 million in the fourth-year of his six-year rookie deal, came to an agreement on a new deal on the 36th day of his holdout.

According to sources, Revis spent part of his holdout in South Florida, where he owns a home, training with former NFL cornerback and mentor Ty Law, who grew up in the same hometown of Aliquippa, Pa.

After a public war of words in the first week of the holdout, both sides agreed to a media blackout last month.

Ryan was scheduled to be on a conference call with reporters Saturday at 6:15 pm, but the team abruptly announced that general manager Mike Tannenbaum would be taking his place on the call.

At 1 a.m. Sunday, Tannenbaum said on a conference call that there was “a significant breakthrough” in negotiations just past 11 p.m. on Saturday.

“I really wasn’t optimistic,” Tannenbaum said. “I really wasn’t. It was really collectively a hard set of dynamics. I’m an optimist by nature. This was really hard. There was a lot of heavy lifting, a lot of work put into it…. I’m just happy with the result. …. Until it was done, I really did not think he’d be here.”

Now, Revis is back.

“I think this is a great deal for Darrelle and I think it’s responsible for the club. From that standpoint, I think it’s a win-win,” Tannenbaum said. “I’m happy. I’m relieved. Obviously, Darrelle’s a great player. He’s our guy. He’s an important piece to what we’re trying to accomplish here. You always want to take care of your own guys when you can. We were working at this for a long, long time. So to finally get a landing spot, I think it’s a testament to both sides. …. I don’t think anybody wanted it to take as long as it did, but it did. Now we can put it behind us and move on to Baltimore.”

“There wasn’t a lot of activity for a while,” Tannenbaum added. “We talked. Weeks would go by, nothing would happen. Then things heated up again.… The whole time, I wasn’t optimistic until the last few hours.”

When it was over, Ryan’s reaction was as entertaining as it was predictable.

“I think I had to medicate the head coach,” Tannenbaum said with a laugh. “We were really happy.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/09/rex-ryan-meets-with-darrelle-r.html#ixzz0yjqY3BPY

#12022 desert swordz, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am also enjoying those people that are now trying to claim that they "knew this was going to happen all along"

Still its good news and its been an entertaining distraction from an otherwise painful off-season.

4. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

So that was mama Revis who called me a "lintlicker" :rofl2:

Now that's f'in hilarious!

Welcome back, ya greedy bastard, I hope you don't leave T-Rich off your Christmas list.

5. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Was that in a PM on here?

6. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

This is great news. I really thought he was gonna hold out the entire season. Sucks about T-Rich, but Connor is a fucking monster.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I so totally called this.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Looks like a complete win in every way for the Jets.

9. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Facebook, it was a response to a comment I left on Revis' page, and I didn't even say anything insulting so I don't know what set her off.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

wtf even is a lintlicker? I am scared to google it in case its something horrendous.

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

holy shit! hell of a present to wake up to this morning! I went to bed excited but feeling anything wouldn't be fully worked out until at least mid-morning today. I missed the excitement by about an hour. Damn, but you know what, I don't care this is by far the best news we could have had.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

What a change of emotions, I was incredibly pissed when we let Richardson go but now I'm feeling great that revis is finally back.

13. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

That's crazy. NOBODY JUST KEEP RUNNING THE BIG OLD MOUTH U LINTLICKER.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I only hope they allowed the hard knocks crew to go down there once they knew a deal would be made.

15. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

finally. I don't even hve the energy to rehash anything, I'm just relieved.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I doubt they would as nothing was certain at that point and they wouldn't want to be filmed looking like douches going all the way down there seemingly cap in hand only to be sent packing - it would look too much like the Vikings going begging to favre to come back.

they will probably have some stuff from the signing today though - and I would have thought revis would want that as he has work to do to repair his image following this holdout.

17. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Can't wait to see the negative spin Cimini tries to put on this. I hope Revis tells him to go fuck himself for the stunt he pulled last week.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Thank God Camp Revis finally came to its senses. That's not bad money he signed for and it won't cripple the franchise. Do you get the feeling that somewhere along the line, they made Revis realize that he wasn't gonna be traded nor was he gonna get paid outrageous money and that it was a real possibility that he could be sitting out the rest of his contract instead of just this season..

19. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Man what a great labor day!!! I had given up hope on this. Based on the early reports seems like a fair deal that should have been reached much earlier. Makes me. Think someone folded big time. Did revis come down or were the jets not offering a very fair 12 mill a yr? Who cares though we have our revis island back and quarterbacks better be scared. If you don't have a good 4th option your going to have trouble throwing on us.

Can't wait for hard knocks

20. ultrajet

ultrajet Active Member

Sorry...don't know much about player holdouts and conditioning ...but how long will it take for Revis to get into "Game Shape". Does he play these first few games as a preseason game or will he just play normally (assuming that he kept working out)...Also who gets cut now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.