The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

@GeigerGeiger I guess @myfabolouslife brings em ALL out, lol, its good 2 see @revis24 here in MIAMI @cameomiami #Gangsta

no way hes playin week 1

2. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

I think revis is done as a jet. I think either he holds out the year and gets traded, or he comes back at week 7 or whatever week it is that gets him credit for the year. I can't imagine the jets will exercisethat 2 year extension after this.

I think he has at most 8-10 games left as a jet.

I thought he might be back this weekend, but at this point it looks like he wont, and he game plan for week 1 is going to be in, with no practice time, I just don't see him being effective, and if this was not his plan all along, I think he will do whatever it takes to get himself out of here.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

It's labor day weekend, if there's gonna be any progress on this it won't be til tuesday i bet

but shit isn't yom kippur coming up soon?

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

so you think the Jets are gonna let him hit free agency?

5. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

No, I think they franchise him and take the best offer.

6. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

We all understand NFL contracts - the problem is we also all understand what the word CONTRACT means. The NFL doesn't. Hopefully this will lead to the NFL and the PA fixing some things.

Rookie contract - 2 years base salary + reasonable signing bonus based on draft selection + incentives based on playing time and positional performance.

Third year the team has the option of signing them to a regular contract, putting the franchise tag on them, or letting them find employment elsewhere.

Teams are then able to pay the players who perform, and not be stuck with ridiculous rookie contracts on players who don't live up to their draft selection.

Now the fun part comes with that second contract a team could choose to lock a player up for their career with a 10 year contract, with guaranteed money. Eventually that player will NOT be the highest paid at his position but he's guaranteed a career's worth of pay. Or a player could say, let's just do a 3 year deal, it's a risk that if he doesn't play well or gets injured that he's out money, but he could get a bigger payday on his 3rd deal if he does excel.

I'm no NFL contract expert but anyone can see that these billion dollar rookie contracts keep the best players (very often from deeper in the draft) from ever being able to be paid what they are worth.

I hate it. But we should at this point just sign MEVIS to a one year contract at the salary he wants with the option that if he plays at the same level as 2009 we'll give him a 9 year contract at that rate. If not, we renegotiate at the end of the year.

Face facts JETS fans as soon as the shit starts hitting the fan and we start losing games, the blame starts going to "we don't have Revis"

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I may be wrong but I thought that if they decline to exercise that option they can't franchise him?

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

this is an emotional response...the Jets can't run a business with emotions.

At some point, if they can't agree, they will need to get something in return for a valuable asset.

9. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

he would never do that because if he does have a down year he wont get as much money because people will think last year was a fluke... thats why he wants to get paid now... he shouldnt be asking for 1 mil but he is smart to want to try and get paid after on of the best seasons by a cb ever.

10. IATA

IATA Trolls

Hopefully he fucking signs already. Jesus.

This forum is now mineeeeee

11. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

You may be right. If so, I think they exercise and trade him

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I told you guys, I wasn't lying!

13. IATA

IATA Trolls

Well shit. That means those JI faggots were tho. WHAT A SHOCK!!

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I wonder how much of the money Uncle Sean held out for is still around. Does he have a nest egg or is he just a moocher?

15. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

He already loses a year wether he plays or not

16. steelzeppelin

steelzeppelin Member

this whole situation is sad

17. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Its funny how most of the NFL commentators I've heard this week have changed their tune from "pay the man" to "quit being irrational and sign the deal". The dumb ones (mostly former players that have no business talking on TV) still keep regurgitating the "pay the man" comment.

Admittedly, I understand him trying to use what leverage he has and get the most money he can, but its pretty obvious that at this point in the season there is no more leverage. I'm pretty sure the Jets won't offer more even if they stink it up on defense to start the season.

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I wonder how many of the "pay the man" assholes were the same people who said Revis had no business being close to winning DPOY.

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Lmao where did they say they saw Revis?

20. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

I agree that raising this years salary is the way to go. Give him 17M this way he can say he was the highest paid CB. We get a better shot at the Super Bowl and then we do this all over whenever the labor dispute is settled.

Personally I'd like for the Jets to fuck with Mevis but I want to win the Super Bowl more, but fucking with Mevis is a close second.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.