The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

right but i was talking about what the agent says, not specifically Revis' situation.

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I am aware of how contracts are structured in the NFL. I was talking generalities, if you really want to get into the minutia of a contract this would be one boring ass board.

The uncapped year actually works against both the Jets and Revis. The Jets have hardly any fully guaranteed money to give. It is a convuluted measure against last years cap. Also, no team wants to give huge signing bonus's before an impending lockout.

So there are a lot of forces that would make this a difficult contract, not the least of which F&S will not accept a contract guaranteed for either skill or injury. They want both and will not be Brick and Mangold.

BTW you posted like Coles and TJ Housh somehow got screwed over on their deals........ TJ is going to get 15 mil on his deal and Coles got 9 mil for one year on his. In fact if TJ gets signed by another team Seattle has to make up the difference between what TJ gets paid and 6.50 million.

So yeah Revis got handed a 120 mil contract and it is true that he most likely will not sniff year 10, he is still getting a shit pot full of money. The agents get the guarantee to guard against reality the player never sees the back end of a contract.

#11242 Miamipuck, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

The pay Revis article? Yep I read that abortion. It is really unprofessional to put garbage like that on their site......... Lol they don't ask for my advice.

4. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

If we were to trade him, hypothetically speaking of course, and we could somehow trade him to any team we wanted to. where would you ship him off to?

5. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

whatever team plays in Siberia

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Green Bay is too good and they already have a QB. Of course that means they couldn't afford Revis anyway.

I'd probably send him to Seattle if they made a good offer. We kind of owe them for driving up the market for JAbe and helping us get Mangold.

7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

GM: Jets will 'move forward' without CB Revis

After selecting his final roster Saturday, Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum declared that the team is will "move forward" without holdout CB Darrelle Revis.

"Darrelle is not here, and we’ve planned accordingly," the GM said. "We feel good about our depth at corner. We have six guys that can help us." The Jets did keep six cornerbacks on the roster: Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Dwight Lowery, Drew Coleman, Marquice Cole, and CB/S Brian Jackson.

“We have to move forward,” Tannenbaum said. “We’re playing ball in a little over a week, and that’s what we’re prepared to do. We feel good about the roster we have; we feel good about our coaching staff. Over the course of a 16-game season, there are going to be a number of players that are unavailable. Traditionally it’s for injuries; one happens to be a contract issue.”

Sep. 4 - 7:50 pm et, Source: Newark Star-Ledger
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/09/jets_prepare_to_open_their_sea.html

It looks like for MEvi$ to play for the Jets this year or in any other year he will be the one to bend not the team. Yet that could quickly change if the secondary falls on their face. The better Cromartie and Wilson play the greater the teams leverage will grow. If he isn't on the field in our first game, then f*ck him. I don't ever want to see in him the Jets uniform again.

I didn't see it posted anywhere else and a lot of people have given up on reading the endless Revis thread. Merge it in if you want...

8. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

If you're a GM of another team you have to figure giving up a 1st round pick is a no brainer especially in Sept when you doubt you have a top 3 pick, especially with Revis on your team.

Paying a pick that high is what you pay Revis anyway. So that's a plus with the known talent of Revis.

How about offer your next 2 1st round draft picks and your best current CB.....

If I'm a GM, I'm calling the Jets just to see what's up and I do it so I can be on Hard Knocks.

And Mike should call Al Davis.

9. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

I was thinking Seattle too. Cold and rainy. On the opposite side of continent. Plus i dont see them gettin too much better in the next few years, so their draft picks should be decently high

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Come on that is not the context of the article. Jesus, post the entire thing, not just bits and pieces that make it look like the Jets are telling Revis to fuck off.

#11250 Miamipuck, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  11. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Thanks Tanny, make Mevis crack. He comes back on our terms or he doesn't come back at all. If you don't come back I only hope the worst for you Mevis.

12. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Just pay the guy...

13. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Agents

Isn't there a contradiction between a player's interests and the agent's? Sure a player wants max money but whatever he gets is his minus their cut. They on the other hand have to show how good they are in getting players paid so more clients come aboard or they are out of business.
    DR can go anywhere for representation but they have to make a rep. to attract business. They are really in a bind. If he comes in now they look foolish.
    As I remember they played this same game with Kendall and Baker. Mr. T must have been expecting this all along. He has decided to make a stand here. I get the impression he does not think very highly of them.

14. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Nice pic. The dolfags are going to get it up the ass this year.

15. JetsFan

----------------
    Jets prepare to open their season without cornerback Darrelle Revis
    Published: Saturday, September 04, 2010, 6:54 PM

As the Jets pared down their roster today to the requisite 53 players, they had to consider one factor they hoped would not be relevant at this point: the absence of All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis.

“Darrelle is not here, and we’ve planned accordingly,” general manager Mike Tannenbaum said on a conference call with reporters. “We feel good about our depth at corner. We have six guys that can help us, and that’s the group we’re going to be moving forward with.”

Revis, of course, has been holding out since Aug. 1 for a new contract. The Jets and Revis’ agents have not found common ground during more than seven months of negotiations, and while there has been a media blackout since mid-August, there have been no indications that a resolution is near.

Tannenbaum cited the confidentiality agreement when asked if he was shocked Revis was still not here, or if he still had hope the top cornerback would return by the Sept. 13 opener.

With the Jets’ Monday Night Football debut just nine days away, the Jets have six cornerbacks not named Revis on their 53-man roster: Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Dwight Lowery, Drew Coleman, Marquice Cole and Brian Jackson. Revis is on the reserve/did not report list and does not count toward the 53 -- nor does Santonio Holmes, who is suspended for the first four games of the season.

“We have to move forward,” Tannenbaum said. “We’re playing ball in a little over a week, and that’s what we’re prepared to do. We feel good about the roster we have; we feel good about our coaching staff. Over the course of a 16-game season, there are going to be a number of players that are unavailable. Traditionally it’s for injuries; one happens to be a contract issue.”

The Jets and the Ravens will each be without injured players when they meet in Week 1, outside linebacker Calvin Pace (broken bone in foot) and Ravens safety Ed Reed (hip). Tannenbaum cited these absences as an example of how teams are never “whole” during a 16-game season, when asked if the Jets feel whole without Revis.

The Jets would start Cromartie, acquired via trade, and Wilson, their first-round pick, if Revis has not returned. Jackson, an undrafted rookie out of Oklahoma, slid into the final cornerback roster spot.

“Rex (Ryan) wants to play man-to-man on the back end,” Tannenbaum said. “Depth at that position was a necessity. Obviously without Darrelle here, that necessity gets exacerbated.”

The roster as it stands now is likely not how it will look on opening day. Waiver claims are due tomorrow at noon, and Tannenbaum said he expected the Jets would make some.

They could be looking for defensive or offensive linemen, linebackers or a special-teams ace. Tannenbaum added that the roster is about 2,000 to 3,000 calories from being finalized, referring to the snacking that would go on as they met late into the night.

Notes:

++ Five running backs -- Shonn Greene, LaDainian Tomlinson, Joe McKnight, Danny Woodhead and Chauncey Washington -- are currently on the roster, though Woodhead also plays receiver. Despite the struggles of McKnight, a fourth-round pick, in the preseason, Tannenbaum said they "feel good about the research we've done" on McKnight, and said it's up to him to prove in practice that he's worthy of a spot on the active roster. Tannenbaum cited Washington's physical running style and special teams production as reasons why they kept him, and also said QB Mark Sanchez praised his pass protection dating back to their days at USC.

++ The Jets kept four tight ends: Dustin Keller, Ben Hartsock, Matt Mulligan and Jeff Cumberland. Tannenbaum reasoned that good tight ends are hard to find, and the Jets "feel dramatically better" about the position than they did a year ago. They are excited about undrafted rookie Jeff Cumberland's future.

++ WR David Clowney hung onto his roster spot. Tannenbaum mentioned his explosive ability and said his roster security would be "enhanced" if he can be more consistent on kick coverage, particularly replacing former gunner Wallace Wright.

++ QB Erik Ainge is still on the reserve/did not report list, not counting toward the 53-man roster. Tannenbaum said the team has his rights as of right now, but there is not much to discuss at this time.

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com.
    --------------------

That was the full article for anyone who wanted it posted.....

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The impression I get, based purely on the one comment he made on Hard Knocks, is that they aren't nice to deal with. Who knows what that means? He made the comment that he had never had a good conversation with them until the one he had just hung up on, which was to negotiate the news blackout I think.

If Schwartz and Feinsod are very aggressive in the way they speak to management they're probably going to have a very short shelf life as sports agents. Typically agents like that survive as long as they have the absolute top clients in their roster and then fade very quickly when the client quality goes down. Nobody likes to deal with aggressive personalities if they don't have too and when it's a question of average players you don't have too.

17. JetsFan

Why?

What has he done to show he is a team player or to prove he won't hold the team for ransom again in three years? He tries to say he is only getting $1 million this season, but his bonus he already received is spread out over the length of his original contract, so even if the Jets only give him $14 million a year in a new contract he is actually already getting more than Aso in Oakland over the next two seasons.

F*CK MEvi$!

18. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

They are playing a high stakes poker game and they are about to get their clock cleaned. It's like they are about to be terminated by a John Conner hit. I'm really starting to hate Mevis and his agents. Mevis is ultimately responsible since he selected them as his agents and he ultimately makes the final decision. Hopefully he realizes it's in his best long term interest to come back sooner rather than later. His poker hand is a pair of twos and Tanny is holding 4 aces.

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Agents are glorified salesmen with a law degree. Their shelf life is for as long as they can continue to sell their clients. Look at Rosenhous, that dude can sell ice to an eskimo.

The bigger more successful agents, the ones that deal with the top end players are more like the Ari Golds. They work for top tier sports agencies with in house enterainment and media divisions, so their clients can crossover into other forms of media for endorsement purposes. It really is a machine.

Of course the smarter players go with the larger firms. Very rarely do you hear of holdouts from players attached to the large agencies. I think those agents just operate from a higher plane with the GM's. It would be interesting to see which method does right by the player.

Edit: You are correct F&S are most likely very difficult to deal with.

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I felt icky enough just clicking onto their site...but I took a look at their 'inactive' players list (basically retired guys) out of morbid curiosity, mostly filler other than Terrell Davis, Kendall and a couple of other linemen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.