Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

How are Chances a #3 RB will be inactive all Season?

There´s a ton of examples at RB, where determination beats skill in this league. If it comes down to it, I´ll always take the guy who wants it more.

2. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I think he has a big upside as a returner, and as a receiver out of the backfield. While I'm on the subject of passes out of the backfield, why can't the Jets get the screen pass down? It's been like 40 years since they have been able to do the screen with any success. To me, with the talent of some of our backs, including Mcknight, the screen could be a huge weapon for the Jets, if they could figure out how to run it.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I do notice the same ones that have a hardon for McNot, are also the most strident pro-Mevi$ types.

Including people that post shit like this

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?p=1790519#post1790519

And this

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=1790552&postcount=139

and this

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=1790581&postcount=144

Apparently The coaching staff disagrees with you, and agrees with me.

#163 Hobbes3259, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  4. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Amazing the knee jerk reaction group is out in full force! The talent is there, he is just a mental midget right now. Leon Washington had a slew of problems during his rookie pre-season and he turned into a pro bowler. Patience is required which few posters on here seem to have.

5. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

McKnight has one season to get up to speed. If he doesn't resemble a 3rd running back by April, we need to draft someone else or re-evaluate Woodhead and Washington, decide if they can be long-term Jets.

I jumped on board the "redshirt McKnight" bandwagon. I'm still on board, because McKnight's ceiling is sky-high. But his floor is also pretty fucking low, and I've seen more floor than ceiling so far.

But here's the bottom line: you can spend a couple years developing a lineman. You can spend multiple years developing a linebacker or a quarterback or a wide receiver. But if you spend more than one year developing a running back, you're a foolish franchise.

So we'll see. If this man is taking punt returns to the house in January, then that's that. If this man is inactive in January, then that's that, as well.

6. ........

........ Trolls

What's wrong with what I wrote after the 2nd preseason game?

I agree with all of that. Notice how clearly I said "aside from the fumbles". The fumbles are McKnight's biggest problem, and they're pretty fucking huge. That's why the CS doesn't trust him right now. He can't hold on to the ball. That's why Woodhead will make the roster. Like I said, I like his effort and his shiftiness, but he hasn't done anything to make me think he's even a better running back right now than McKnight aside from the fumbles.

I asked you an honest question in that thread, and you threw it back in my face as "shit"? Hell, even last night, McKnight had a higher average YPC than Woodhead by the tiniest of margins (3.77 to 3.75). And that was against the better defenders for the Eagles. I even said I wanted to see more targets for Woodhead in Game 4. We still didn't get that.

And nobody is "pro-Mevidollarsign". You shouldn't have to make things up, but that's consistently what you do.

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

The fumbles are the biggest issue, but he needs work as a punt returner too. He let 2 punts get downed inside the 5 twice against Philly. Can't have that either. Truth is, he needs to work on all aspects of his game, some more than others. He will get that time. The question is, will he respond? I have my doubts, but he's on the team, so I truely hope he does.

That doesn't mean I think he will. He has the tools, I'm not sure he has the head for it.

8. Hobbes3259

That's not what a fair reading of the Mevi$ thread implies.

I will say, you are far less strident than the others.

And looking back...at what I posted...you're right...my implication was unfair in your regard..

My apologies.

9. ........

........ Trolls

It's all good. You're fun to argue with.

I don't want anyone to think I like what Revis is doing. I just don't see the implications of his hold out as black and white. He's doing some damage to the team right now, but not much until he misses game time. As far as his persona off the field, if half of what we're hearing is true, he's not someone I'd care to associate with personally, but I'll still be glad as hell to have him on the field helping this team.

10. Hobbes3259

No, it's not good...I enjoy debating with you as well, but it wasn't fair to lump you in with Cato and Mr.E...

As I said..I apologize..

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Oh look, Hobbes posted two gay nicknames in one post!
    Bwahahahahahahahaha!

12. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

[​IMG]

If we can keep Coleman around we can keep someone who actually has potential, and being pro-Revis is a good thing. The best possible situation for us is to have him signed before the season. People screaming trade him before the season starts are really dumb... fo real.

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Not that I disagree with anything here, but I think that first paragraph is a little premature.

Even if he turns out to be nothing more than a decent punt returner, he's still worth it for a 4th round pick. All he needs to do is justify his draft position is to lear how to hold onto the ball. If he turns out to be productive as a HB, great. If not, oh well.

And I'll just go ahead and say this now: I really don't care about any comparison to Leon with McKnight. Leon's career with the Jets ended with his leg injury and his contract dispute during the offseason.

14. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Just based on what we've seen there's no way you get rid of Woodhead now, no matter what we do with McKnight, who I wouldn't be shocked if he's flat-out cut. You have to do A LOT wrong for Rex to shit on you in public. The last guy he was this willing to punk at the podium was Sherry, and we all know how that turned out.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Was there this much uproar when Greene was laying the ball on the carpet left and right early on last year in GAMES THAT ACTUALLY COUNTED? Just wondering.

For the poster that was questioning is 2009 stats and the competition he faced. Ironically his worst statistical game was argueably his most impressive. Where he had failed to meet all the Bush comparisons up to the Ohio St game, in that game he surpassed Bush IMO in the department of being a true RB that can get the tough yards between the tackles. IMO he was the best player on a field loaded with potential NFL players. He got every tough yard against that very good Buckeye defense. W/o McKnight, USC loses that game easy. In the words of Rex Ryan, his nuts dropped right before our eyes.

At McKnight's worst, which would be right now, one can still make a reasonable arguement to keep him over CW and DW. At his best or even an average McKnight is no contest. Isn't that worth a "gamble"? What do we have to lose? Chauncey Washington? Danny Woodhead? Just have patience. It took him a while at SC too. Once the light comes, this arguement will seem silly in hindsight.

#175 legler82, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yeah there was. Put the ball on the ground and people notice. I mentioned it in a thread the other day, sure I'm not the only one.

17. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Leon Washington. Danny Woodhead. Chauncey Washington.
    Is Joe McNight better than any of these guys?
    And if Rex/Tanny know something about him that we don't, does that mean they also know future lottery numbers?

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

We picked up Woodhead as a UDFA and Chauncey midseason. It sucks losing both of him, but who's to say we can't pick up either of them or even someone else later in the season in case we need an RB.

Even if McKnight is a major bust who can't play in the NFL, we still have 2 good backs. If an injury were to come down, it would suck though. Not happy about Chauncey to the Rams. Good for him, but not happy about it from a team perspective though. Hopefully we can sign a promising runningback elsewhere to our PS or something.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Well the problem is we not only wasted a 4th rd pick on McKnight(assuming he turns out to be a bust) but we also gave away leon for nothing once we got him.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Actually, we got John Conner who's already made a huge impact on special teams.

I honestly don't know how you can label a developmental, fourth round pick a bust.

The organization didn't have enough money to spend it on a return man.