The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Summary:

Revis can help us if he's on the field.

Revis can't hurt us if he's sitting on his sofa for the next 3 years (versus playing for Detroit).

No NFL team with a player named Revis has ever won the superbowl.

Without Revis Christ, we are the same as the other 31 teams.

PLUS we have Head Coach Mr Rex Fucking Ryan (most brilliant defensive mind in football), Santonio Holmes (Superbowl MVP receiver), Nick Mangold (best center in football), The Davis Harris and Bart Scott backing up Mr Big Jenks, GreeneMachine, no-neck Terminator, QB killer Pace, oh yea some kid named Cromartie and Wilson.

I'll take my chances.

Revis can rot on Revis Island.

Without a ring.

2. ........

........ Trolls

He's thinking (rightfully) that he deserves more money than he's slated to make this season.

He's also thinking (like a fucking hopped up lunatic) that he deserves more money than Crazy Al is willing to fling around on a coke binge.

In other words, he's right in principle and WAAAAAAAY off in execution.

As far as his agents are concerned, I put a lot of blame on them at first given how little most players know about the money side of the league, but I've also said that at some point, he has to step up and take responsibility. At this point, no one should put the blame for his continued holdout on anyone but him.

The nice part? I don't think this looks like a positive negotiation tactic to anyone on the team any more. I was a bit concerned it would rub off, but at this point, I think everyone on the team has to realize what a horrible distraction it is.

3. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

+1million. case closed.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Like I said, if he holds out into the season I think it would be unforgivable. At least to me. If he signs tomorrow or before the season starts, I would easily welcome him back with opens arms. Into the season however, I just could not understand that.

5. ........

........ Trolls

Batman would forgive him.

6. gross100

gross100 Banned

We could always bribe him...

I cant believe no one has tried this yet! When the owners, politics and the agents cant pull this off - its up to the fans guys. Let's come together and Bribe our Main Man Revis - 24 can be bought and bribed! For real: www.ILikeSpam.com - what would you give him to play?

7. ........

........ Trolls

^I genuinely hope you don't get banned for spam, because that is some funny shit.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

The straight Batman or the gay one?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Revis's position at this point can be summed up in one word: mememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememe... ad nauseum.

By now it must have dawned on people like Nick Mangold and David Harris and Antonio Cromartie and Santonio Holmes that there's only so much of Woody's cash to spread around on player contracts moving forward. As much as those guys would love to be solidly behind Revis in his demands none of them can ignore the fact that every dollar that goes to Revis is one less available in the pool for them. If he gets a great deal it doesn't do anything positive for them, far from it in fact.

The combination of the two things above probably ensures that the Jets can go into the season with the Revis situation unresolved without too much grief in the locker room. I'm sure everybody would love to have Revis back on the team and I'm also sure that nobody but Revis wants him back as a gigantic money hole in the team's balance sheet moving forward.

Everything is going to be fine. It'll all work itself out. What we all need now is Robert Duval in the scene from Deep Impact as he calms down the other astronauts as their buddy goes flying off at escape velocity and other factors mean they can't go get him even though they really want to.

If Revis flies off at escape velocity there's really nothing anybody but him can do about it. The Jets and his team mates can't go rescue him on the only terms he's willing to be rescued on. He has to change the terms or he's gone. That's just the way it is.

#4329 Br4d, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  10. ........

........ Trolls

I agree with you, but why did you have to go and cite Deep Impact as a legitimate movie?

I also love that we have Hard Knocks during this. All of the players watch it, and all of them saw Tanny's frustration. No way can he approach them to discuss the situation like that without coming across as disingenuous. They see him on TV, on the other hand...

I

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I actually like Deep Impact a lot. It has a good storyline and is fairly well acted compared to some of the other stuff we've seen. And on the bright side the fact that the President is black does not automatically make it science fiction any more.

Seriously, there's nothing anybody but Darrelle Revis can do to fix the situation at this point. Whether you believe the Jets moves thus far have been in good faith or not none of them have come close to bridging the gap between the two camps. In that situation, given that Revis is under contract and has no way out he is going to have to begin making serious bridging moves or we're all going to be watching this unfold into November, and whether or not his teammates are behind him at the moment they're gonna be really pissed at him when they've answered the 100th Revis question along about week 8 or so.

12. The Dark Knight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has to be the first Deep Impact Thread Hijack in forum history right? :lol:

13. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

Again, I agree that it's on Revis at this point. I sure as hell don't want the Jets budging on an offer of 12 million per. IMO, that's too high for a corner intrinsically, but it seems like a proper market value.

As far as Deep Impact, if I'm choosing a leader as portrayed by Morgan Freeman to lead me, I'm going with Mr. Clark over Obama '98. I'm just sayin'... Mr. Clark would've bullhorned that asteroid into oblivion with no damage done and still helped a pregnant teen.

14. The Dark Knight

Revis seems like a great competitor and someone who wants a championship. So all this greed reall snuck up on me as a fan.

15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Films with white wide receivers are still science fiction though.

16. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

It's gotten to a point where I think if a team offered a solid #2 CB and a 1st round pick, I may say yes...

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Don't talk nonsense. There is no deal that offers value for Revis. If he won't sign we need to let him vegitate at home for 3 years without pay, see how he gets on.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I see a lot of people talking about trading him..you can't trade him, he is untradeable. He wouldn't report without getting exactly what he is asking for from the Jets. Even Al Davis wouldn't give him that, not even close. Certainly no one else will either. He will play for the Jets or he won't play at all. Like somebody else said, let him rot.

#4338 Don, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  19. lamont_jordan_rules

... while deep impact was a very fine piece of cinematography ... it doesn't hold a candle to this masterpiece!!! ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9ola4qkJ78

l_j_r

20. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen Member

You know the sad thing is the Jets came to Revis immediately after the end of the season with a offer of a new contract. The Jets didn't have in mind that Revis wants to be paid like an elite QB just for Ego's sake. Or to feed his family caviar and steaks for breakfast lunch and dinner.

The sad thing is that this had to be the year he holds out, one of the most promising seasons the team has ever seen.

Maybe he should ask Asomugha himself what it feels like to be the richest player on the team with no wins every year.

Uncle Gilbert, Ty Law, Freeloader Geiger, yo revis get a new entourage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.