18 Months Ago

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Aug 19, 2010.

1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I dont think many teams have gone through quite the transformation as we have over the last 18 months. Some of the highlights:

Before last April, we were debating Clemens v. Ratliff. There was some serious Ratliff love out there (probably more Clemens hate) going into April, even by the papers. Here we are months later with our Franchise QB Sanchez. POSITIVE

We went into 2009 with Cotchery and Stuckey as our starting WR combo, Brad Smith /Clowney as # 3. Again, lots of love for Mr. Preseason Clowney from many, thinking he should have started over Stuckey. Not exactly scaring anyone with this group (except Jets Fans) especially with a rookie QB. Now we have arguably one of the best trios in football at WR with Cotchery going from #1 to post week 6 #3. Add Keller to it and it could be lethal depending on the QB......Not bad. POSITIVE

New coach, lots of people thinking Cowher, Billick, Spags, Mooch.......we get Rex. Lots of good feelings about him initially, but did anyone know what to expect? We had Schotty who everyone wanted (and still may want) outta here, but what was Rex going to deliver? New system? Year 1 - Number 1 defense. POSITIVE, POSITIVE, POSITIVE.

In addition, a lot of us KNEW that Kerry Rhodes was going to FINALLY be known as one of the top 3 safeties in the league, being put in the Ed Reed role able to make plays. We all know how that ended up. Wet and pink. NEGATIVE

Gholston was going to make the jump in year 2 in Rex's system and become the next Suggs. He was going to be that edge rusher we drafted him to be with 10+ sacks and be a presence. Now he is a backup on the d-line who doesnt think its make or break. NEGATIVE

Would Thomas Jones be able to keep Leon from getting half the carries? We all wanted Leon more involved and Rex said he would be. He was labeled (rightfully so) our most expolisive player on offense going into 2009. Contract thing got messy, but he reports then Oakland happens. Oh, and there was some young RB names Greene who showed a lot in college but didnt impress in camp. The 2 top RBs are gone and we are better now. What teams can say that? POSITIVE.

At corner, we had a great Revis who we thought to be a Pro Bowler, but Nnamdi was known in league circles as the best. Sheppard looked great on paper but what would we get from him in 2009? We also had a young Lowery who certainly showed promise. Well Revis ends up becoming the best defensive player in football (fuck you Woodson) and our secondary cant hold up against Peyton. We get Cro and draft Wilson and we are looking like (if we get Revis back) we could have an all time great secondary. POSITIVE

Harris coming off injury, would he be effective? How woud Pace come back? Feely back again after a solid campaign.

Could go on, but damn, what a difference 18 months can make. Going into last year I think sneaking into the playoffs and making a nice showing would have been ok with a lot of Jets fans. We go to the AFC Championship.........and now a legit SB contender.

I will take it all day.

2. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Nice post. Fully agree.

3. Heavy Metal Thunder

Lot of changes indeed, and you didn't even mention moving into a new stadium, moving camp from Hofstra to Cortland, and Jason Taylor going from hated enemy to being a Jet.

4. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

we went from being one of the most under the radar teams with not many people caring about us or wanting to watch us to cowboy like status in that time as well. everyone is either gonna hate us or love us.

5. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

18 months ago, camp was still going to be in Cortland.

Edit: I think.

6. 2010LookinUP

2010LookinUP New Member

But still, the same old Jets. You'll find some way to screw it up. You guys always do! ;)

7. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

What are you going to change your name to when the Phags go 8-8?

8. 2010LookinUP

2010LookinUP New Member

"The NY Jets of 2009".

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

that doesn't even make sense

10. 2010LookinUP

2010LookinUP New Member

Yes it does.

You were clearly a better team then Cincy last year, so you would have won that game no matter what IMO.

Indy on the other hand...... 480+yards of total offense later that one was proven.

11. julani

julani New Member

Please, my friend change that avatar. Every time I'm eating and see you post I get sick. It reminds of when I saw the video.

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Can you please stick to the "Vontae Davis is better than Revis" thread. Your schtick is tiresome boring and not even interesting. You suck as both a post and you are a fucking awful troll.

I really wish the mods would give this board an enema and ban your tiresome act. Seriously, fuck off you are not even remotely funny.

Just go back to eating your own feces in your cage and leave us all alone........... kthanxbai

#12 Miamipuck, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

On topic:

Good post. It is amazing how far the organization has come in just this short time.

It has gone from vast uncertainty to a shit ton more optimistic tone.

It starts from the top. Tannenbaum and Rex are doing a great job. I hope they can keep it up.

14. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

FYP

Filler.

15. 2010LookinUP

2010LookinUP New Member

You want to give me a link to where you see myself posting in such a thread? Cause it never happened. I wouldn't defend such jargon.

You much be mistaken me for someone else.

16. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

its funny that you guys shit on kerry rhodes yet make excuses for cromartie when they are basically the same player...good at coverage but afraid to tackle

17. Heavy Metal Thunder

Who cares, I was simply agreeing with the original poster's overall sentiment, but for the record the move to Cortland was announced June 22nd, 2009; 14 months ago.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-training-camp-moving-upstate-1.1219678

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

You do know the difference between a cover corner and a safety? You do know that their roles are completely different?

They play two totally different positions in a Rex Ryan defense. One can be covered up and the other can not.

Also Cromartie gets plenty of shit........

19. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

i do

however it seems like you still wouldn't want that type of player on the team...Revis is a great tackler which is half the reason he is so adored

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Wow, the fin fans made this thread gay. Then again, that's what that franchise is, their owners, fanbase, logo, etc. They don't know football.

anyway, I wanted Rex here. He has my mentality and I got the culture change I wanted.