The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, the 30% increase in base over the prior year is still there in an uncapped year. What isn't is the fact you can give him a zillion dollars in signing bonus (what they keep calling guaranteed money) and it doesn't even have to be prorated over the life of the deal.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the fuck?

who's brainfart is that?

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Yeah I thought there were two other corners making around $12mil or more besides Aso.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

What I was saying was not so much in terms of ability, but in being the only guy on the roster that actually knows the playbook...

5. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

Not on average. Nate Clements is 2nd with 10.

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Thats a new one. I thought the standoff was total compensation. Signing bonus itself can be split up, just like in Willis' case. And no, Revis will not do this shit "as soon as they pay him". This is it for Revis. A 10 year contract means he will not get another chance at a premier contract again. If Revis pulls this shit again in lets say 6-7 years, u can bet he'd be traded and not get paid by the Jets again.

7. Don

Total compensation is the Jets take on the standoff...Revis camp has ALWAYS said it is guaranteed money. Jets say they will discuss guarantees after they have a concensus on total compensation. Revis keeps screaming there isn't a single penny of guarantees...there you have it.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I have a hard time believing that Revis would not hold out again as soon as he saw a reason to do so. His pattern is established at this point: if he thinks he can increase his compensation by holding out he does so. Twice in three years is pretty damning evidence.

I don't think the Jets can afford to give him a lot of guaranteed money up front unless they have a clear provision to recapture it from him in the event that he holds out again down the road.

Think about it: even if Revis were to accept a large amount of guaranteed money from the Jets and be happy at the moment, then something else happens three years down the road, like a very rich owner (Paul Allen for example) deciding he was getting old and giving a free agent defensive player a huge deal for a couple of seasons. So now Revis is unhappy again, because somebody just got a lot more than him for a short period of time (like Aso) and he holds out to match that amount, because he's supposed to be the highest paid defensive player in football. He happily gives back the prorated bonus money from this deal because his next deal is going to be HUGE. He knows the Jets will back down because they did so in 2010 and if they don't well he has enough money in the bank to call their bluff and force them to trade him.

Yes, it's a contrived scenario but based on what we know of Revis and his agents to date I think it's a realistic one.

The Jets need to find a way to profit from moving on at this point. Some players will never be satisfied with the status quo and Revis appears to be one of those. This preseason should be all about the Jets and their chance to improve on last year and instead it's all about Revis.

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Yeah, I didn't mean on average though. Even if the avg was $10 mil for the second highest paid corner behind Aso, and Revis averages $13-14 mil the first three years, its not as terrible as it may sound initially. We have to consider the length of the contract as well. 10 years is a long long time and contract values keep going up every year. Elite QBs are already rumored to be asking for $20+ mil a yr contract.

10. Don

You voiced my opinion perfectly. I would only add that he gave up 20 million in guarantees for 2011-2012 by sitting out. I think it will take a signing bonus of at least 30 million to get him back and the Jets won't do it. I really think the Jets are perfectly willing to move on and let him sit out forever..or at least until they see if there is football, a rookie slotting scheme, etc. next year. If first round picks don't cost you 50 million upfront anymore they might be able to trade him for equal compensation.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yup.

Think Ty Law.

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Revis camp demanded $160 mil. Jets camp offered $120 mil. The difference is the total compensation. Its not like Revis has demanded $60mil in guarantees. We haven't heard anything about that, besides Revis saying there is no "fully guaranteed" money offered.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

this thread has turned into this:

[​IMG]

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

15. thedoc53

thedoc53 New Member

is there a max signing bonus or guarentees based on total compensation? like are you allowed to sign a player for $13.64 a year but give him $5M bonus? I was under the impression there was a percentage type situation

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I doubt if he starts to bitch again three years from now. Thats just way too early, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again in 5-6 years time. That is why you split up the singing bonus in to possibly three payments and take some of the leverage away from him. Along with that, reserve high base salaries and roster bonuses for him towards the end of the contract to avoid such instances from happening again and to have some leverage to cut him if he starts to fade away. Year 10, he'd be 35 years old.

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

In Madden there is. But in reality, Sam Bradford got about 67% guaranteed contract. Not sure what the signing bonus was though.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I see where you are getting this, because of his council - Law, Gilbert, and his agents who obviously have an awful relationship with Tannenbaum - not saying that's Tannys fault. These two are extremely annoying to deal with.

19. Don

The only fully guaranteed money in an uncapped year is a signing bonus.

20. thedoc53

thedoc53 New Member

I never really looked at the deals in madden since theres no more holding out. just sign rookies to 7 year deals and rock shit there 4-7th years.

Thanks for clearing that up for me on guarentees to total

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.