The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

See Albert Haynesworth and I don't think he even has a cousin.

2. Don

We won't win the super bowl because of him at all. If he is here or if he is not he will not make the difference. If he was what you try to make him out to be then we would have won last year and Peyton Manning wouldn't have thrown for 400 yards in the championship game. He is a corner..big whoop..he can cover one receiver, not four. Pay him that way and keep some money for those that have to cover the others.

3. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

Oh, are we going to switch to a Cover 2 sometime soon? That would be the comparable situation, nevermind the fact you somehow feel they're comparable in attitude. I forgot about the time Revis stomped someone's helmetless head. Clearly, we never saw problems coming with Haynesworth.

4. Don

Well yeah, I do think they are somewhat the same in attitude. Exactly the same. He sat out as a rookie until he could get every penny he wanted but I don't really hold that against him because lots of rookies hold out. Now, however, after getting everything he wanted he is pulling the same shit again. If the Jets give him a lot of upfront money and that is the only way he gets what he wants what is to stop him from doing it again? Everybody whines that he is only making 1 mil this year but nobody mentions that he has already cashed 15 up till now. He could have had 20 million more guaranteed after this year too. He got paid much better than most #14 picks and still does this. I really can't believe anybody won't wonder when he will do it again.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You don't particularly deserve this anymore than anyone else who spouts the same stupid line, but unfortuantely, you're the one I'm going to let have it.

Yes, Revis can cover only one receiver. One would assume against the Colts it would probably be Reggie Wayne. Fine. Who covered the other side of the field in the AFC Championship? Who would cover it now?

People keep harping on this bullshit "We lost the AFC Championship with Revis" as though just bringing back Revis would field the same team that lost last year.

No. It would then make Cromartie, a legitimate #1 corner, our #2 corner (not unlike Santonio Holmes making Braylon Edwards a #2, who in turn makes Cotchery a #3.) That in turn makes Wilson a nickle, which means we don't ever have to see Coleman on the field again nor watch Lowery get burned downfield.

I try not to say people's opinions are stupid, but the idea that the Jets don't immediately become a hugely better defense when Revis rejoins the team is a stupid opinion.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I guess you missed the idea that Kellen Clemens is more important to the jets than Revis?

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

lol @ ppl marginalizing Revis' importance to the team...are you kidding?

8. Don

It was Reggie Wayne and he did nothing all day. That was great. There were three other guys who had over 100 yards each. That probably had to do with our other corners sucking and why they brought on Cromartie and Wilson this year.

You are missing the point though. Everybody knows we are better with Revis then without him. The problem is if we overpay him then we will be back in the same boat next year as we usually are. Cromartie will be gone. Maybe Mangold and Harris too. I am sure there are other back ended deals nobody is even thinking about, other people who may have to be cut.

I think it is ridiculous to pay Revis what he wants and fortunately Tannenbaum and Johnson do too.

9. skeleton_frames

Exactly right. People trying to marginalize Revis' importance to this D are like people who get dumped by a girl and then say, 'well that's fine! I was going to do that anyways!'

With Cromartie and Revis covering and then Wilson as the nickel the pass defence is just silly. Might be good enough coverage for Gholston to one day get a sack.

I still have a hard time believing he'd actually sit out an entire year. It just defies logic.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

$$$ never defies logic.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Ummm, yeah. That's what I was saying. If we don't have Revis though, Cromartie covers Wayne, and the rookie Wilson gets the other side of the field. Of course, Lowery and Coleman would back him up.

Do you even see the misguided logic you're using? With Revis in the lineup we're better than last year. With Revis out, we're worse. There is no possible way for the secondary to be the "same" as last year. It's either vastly improved, or significantly degraded.

Yes, we all understand that based on the next cap situation a crazy Revis contract would handicap us bringing back everyone we want to. Two things:

1) He's not going to get as much as he wants. This will go down to the wire, but he'll get a huge contract he can live with that isn't as much as he wants.

2) I don't give a shit what he gets and what it ruins in the future right now. This team is built to win right now. Win the Super Bowl at the end of this season and I don't give a damn who comes back. Just let me stand in Manhattan this February freezing my ass off, cheering for my returning champions.

12. Don

I agree that this team is built to win now..maybe we have no argument at all...but i believe Tannenbaum is looking down the road and will act with the long term interest of the team in mind. If that is the case and Revis continues to be the snot he has been he will not be back. Not this year, probably not ever. Do you know what it would take for him to come crawling into camp now? He has Unkle Asshole screaming at him, his agents screaming at him and who know who else is screaming at him. I can't see it happening unless he wins flat out.

#4212 Don, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  13. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

He is clearly better than those making $12mil, but if his value was $12 mil a yr, then we would be paying him $4 mil extra per year IF the contract was divided evenly. My guess is, Revis will be making around $20 mil towards the end of his career and around $12 mils in the beginning, gradually increasing the cap charge. It would be dumb of Tanny to do it evenly cuz 7 years from now, Revis would bitch again about not being the highest paid corner at $16 mil when some one gets an $18 mil a yr contract. So really, $40 mils in the first three years aren't a whole lot for Revis. Of course, its not going to be as simple as I write it. There would be roster bonuses and all that too which would affect his compensation.

However, keeping Revis for a huge amount may result in us losing another starter, Woody will be looking at writing hefty paychecks every time a contract is up partially due to the Revis contract. People will judge their importance to the team, scale it against Revis' importance and talent, and demand accordingly. Mangold might say I wanna be the highest paid center. Same for Harris. Cro might say I want atleast 80% of Revis money. The domino affect keeps on going.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

There are no NFL CB's averaging more than $10 mil/yr not named Asomugah.

15. Don

All that is nice but impossible. You can't guarantee future bonuses in an uncapped year. That means his only guarantee is what he gets as a signing bonus this year. He wants 40 or 50 million and the Jets say no way. They know as soon as they pay it he could do this all over again. That is the standoff.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

Where did you come up with this?

The standoff is total compensation right now. Until they agree on that, they won't negotiate the guaranteed part. Team Revis wants $16 mil/year, Jets will give $12 mil/year. Those are the facts we have available so far as I know.

17. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

ummm. not that that I think we are better off without Revis, but you are taking it a little far. you mentioned logic so here goes (My High School math is a little rusty so bear with me)
    a = Revis
    b = Cro
    c = Wilson
    d = Lito
    e = Lowery
    a>b
    b>c
    c>d
    d>e
    e=shit
    by transitive propert of something, I think the only thing you can prove is Revis is better than shit

You wanted to prove that
    a+d+e > b+c+e
    Which I don't think is true. If anything a+d+e < b+c+e. It cant be logically proved however without knowing how much better revis is than cro and wilson is than lito

You can however say that logically a+b+c > b+c+e. But is it worth mortgaging our future? I think most here are saying it is not.

#4217 kinggofg, Aug 19, 2010
  18. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Champ Baily will make 13 mil this year

19. Don

Yeah, the Jets say that. Revis agents say there isn't a single penny of guaranteed money. There are different standoffs depending on which side you are speaking from.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

nvm misread ur post before..

#4220 ace_o_spades, Aug 19, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.