The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't know I figure he's probably keeping in shape knowing he will be playing week 1. We brought in 40 year old Ty Law during the '08 season and he came in that week to cover Randy Moss pretty well.

Maybe he won't be able to play as many snaps, but I doubt he's too far off.

2. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Your right. I still will have a hard time wearing his jersey...shame

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Well, not on the touchdown to tie the game late. That was pathetic coverage by Law. But maybe Law was coached to not press Moss on the play.
    Either way that was absolutely absurd. How was he not in press coverage on that play?!!?

4. WhiteShoeWillis

That HAD to be the defensive call.

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Close to 4200 posts in this thread, and this is only my first. I hope Wilson works out great, and Revis can rot. Of course, I won't feel that way if he shows up tomorrow, but its what I feel today. There, my opinion. FWIW.

6. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Everyday I read a few new pages of this thread hoping for some positive news, and everyday get nothing. I have nothing to add to this thread, I just really hope this is resolved soon!

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Rob, it's finally time to be optomistic, but alas, even you have fallen victim to the glass half empty Jets fan syndrome. Chin up dude!

8. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen Member

If he misses one damn regular season game by choice all respect for him should be gone. This is a truly special and promising season, and he is holding us back with his absence. Revis earn your damn ridiculous contract demands, you coulda showed up to camp to help young Kyle Wilson out. Now he will be thrown into the fire if you dont show up.

Stop behaving like a spoiled brat man, you got a very generous contract before you even played a down in the nfl, and you embarrassed the coach by making a mockery of practice with your 'lightheaded' act.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

One has to wonder if Revis misses any regular season games in his holdout if he'll start to lose his sponserships as his popularity begins to wane. On another front, and this would be rather ironic, if Revis and his agents aren't careful with their image and popularity with fans he may wind up moving from Revis Island to Gilligan's Isle....
    After all for sports sponserships if your not on the field sponsers tend to put a lower value on you.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If there is ever positive news there will probably be a new thread as that means there will have been an announcement. Until then there is a news blackout on both sides.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

Imagine if he held out a year to get the $16 mil instead of the $12 mil?

Let's assume he would get the same bonus money on either contract (for the sake of simplicity).

- minus fine money
    - minus endorsement money
    - minus $12 million for 2010 season

2011 lockout
    2012 - 27 years old
    - Hope for trade
    - Hope for new $16 mil/year contract after not having played for 2 years.

Assuming he got the $16 mil/year I would imagine it would be a MAX 5 year deal. It would take him 3+ of those years just to recoup the $12 million plus the fine money + the endorsement money he missed out on by sitting out 2010. At that point he'd be over 30 and there would likely be a chance he'd get cut to avoid paying a 30+ cornerback with declining skills $16 million a year.

And that's assuming he'd actually get $16 mil/year after 2 years of not playing. It seems to me he just doesn't have much to gain at all.

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Revis doesnt have a leg to stand on in this contract battle with the jets. He's under contract and next year there mite not even be any football. He should just get back on the field and quit it with the spoiled childish nonsense hes pulling off. Regardless of what he does I think his image is tarnished because he wants money not a ring.

13. Don

That also assumes there is a cap as high as 2009. I really don't see anyway in the world he will get 16 mil if he doesn't get it this year. I suppose it's possible if he got traded to a team that had no other good players under contract and money to burn.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

as a rook out of college revis held out from training camp to get every penny possible from the jets. he didn't leave one penny on the table.

now half way through THAT contract he's doing it AGAIN.

if he'd been a 7th rounder playing for peanuts and blew the nfl out of the water (Brady) then fine, but revis was a 1st rounder that held out day 1 and got a huge day 1 contract.

fucker.

15. Don

I am sure those are the exact thoughts going through Tannenbaum's and Johnson's heads right now. They are also thinking that if we give him a big signing bonus as he wants will he be doing the same thing again two years from now.

The longer this goes on the more I think we may have seen the last of Revis in a Jets uniform. Since they can never get true value for him we may not see him in anybody else's uniform either for a long time.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

I don't see anyone paying him $16 mil a year this year or in 2 years. I'm sure team Revis knows the probability of that happening too. Again, they are just trying to squeeze as much money from the Jets as possible with this holdout.

He'll be on the field week one.

17. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

I totaly agree.

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I can't believe some people around here. First of all, Revis doesn't need much time to be ready to play. When did he finally sign his rookie deal? Wasn't it like 8 days before he covered Randy Moss? He needs about as much time to get ready for playing in a game as I need to get ready for work in the morning.

Secondly, whenever he comes back he's going to be a freaking HERO to every single one of us. He immediately renders Marshall, Moss, Ochocinco and every other #1 wide receiver in the NFL ineffectual. He also leaves Cromartie to cover the #2. Our shut down defense becomes an impassible wall.

Yeah, I'm still pissed off that he's still holding out too. Yeah, I think he's asking for too much. I'm not going to pretend that I'm not going to be ecstatic when he shows up though. And it'll be before game 1.

19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Can Revis sign already? I'm ready to see his triumphant return on Hard Knocks next week.

20. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I find it amusing that Revis' public persona went from a quiet great hard working cb to money grubbing predator. Fuck him. He's a great player but I hate when they hold out for every last penny. It just shows a lack of character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.