Joe McKnight not impressing so far ... Woodhead looks much better

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Mulligan hit a lot of people the other night. He also blocked well and caught a nice pass. He is a more complete TE then Hartsock. He is also a lot faster.

2. IATA

IATA Trolls

We don't need a "complete" TE who can block "well". We need a big ass TE who can block great, and we have one of the best.

3. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

His value would be on offense and maybe on returns, not ST coverage.. however, only one of those was his fault; he was supposed to contain on the outside but he was out of position. Yeah, he fucked up but that wasn't his normal role and Ginn is a fast mfer that made an ass of everyone on our coverage team that day.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And what is McKnight...right now?

5. MeanGreene23

MeanGreene23 New Member

Let me know when McKnight gets cut cuz it aint happening

6. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Right now? McKnight's a rookie struggling in his first NFL camp. And he's still higher on the depth chart than Danny Woodhead.

I think you have my position on Woodhead twisted--I really have nothing against the guy. I just think that he needs to show us more before he gets praised as the second coming. To me, this isn't a "Woodhead vs. McKnight" issue. The question is, "Is Woodhead good enough to justify giving him regular touches in the NFL?" So far throughout his NFL career, he hasn't been.

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

No, the question is which player makes the Jets a better team. No one ever said Woodhead is "the second coming". He is a minor role player. Right now, he looks to be better than McKnight in such a role. So, given how many roster spots there are, it is indeed a Woodhead vs. McKnight battle. They are fighting for the same role on the roster. The same roster spot.

8. ........

........ Trolls

I don't know that it necessarily comes down to one or the other, but I don't think there's any question of which one makes the roster this season if it does.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Leon, I mean Joe, is doing just fine. He'll come along.

10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I'll be the first to admit I didn't know a whole bunch about this kid. His attitude seems piss poor, at least the way HBO is portraying him.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think he comes off as frustrated with himself more than anything, but is a 4th round rookie getting down on himself and making difficult for the coaches to work with him.

Right now he's using too many moves before he hits the hole. Once he gets comfortable, he'll use that speed and pull off runs. For now, give him time and patience.

If Leon's rookie camp was on Hard Knocks, everyone would be killing him.

12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Right now Mcknight is adjusting to the speed of the NFL vs college, some guys make that transition faster than others. In college you can take a couple extra blinks and jukes before you make for the hole, in the NFL if you do that the hole is gone. Whether McKnight is successful in the NFL mainly depends on if he can make that speed adjustment.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And it might take him half a season.

4th round rookie behind an up and comer and a HOFer? I'll sit back and wait.

14. Evilla83

Evilla83 Banned

McKnight will be a stud...he's faster than greene and again...it was his first ever professional game!

15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Yep, I think it's also part of Ghoulston's problems, one of the coaches during hard knocks referred to Gholston as pausing to take a picture and then react rather than it being more instinctual. Gholston has never, to this point, adjusted to the speed of the NFL.

McKnight, if he adjusts, can be a very good change of pace running back. he's got the moves and he's got the physical speed but he's still playing at a college speed of game. Repitition until it becomes instinct and the game slows down for him. Will he get it? We hope so.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

McKnight did play in a pro system at USC..he shouldn't be coming across at this point as somebody that played for a junior college somewhere.

17. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I've been seeing this here and there (and not targeting you so much as the statement), but does someone have some first-hard knowledge of Leon's first camp that leads people to make this comparison?

Not that I ever played professional football (and played a year of college at the III(c) level- hangs head in shame), but he's a RB, which is probably the easiest position to transition to from college to pro (ouside of learning your pass blocking and route running), so his struggles to run the ball are concerning to me. And of course, his attitude.

I will openly admit my disdain for McKnight. I did not like him even a little bit at USC, and thought he largely lived off high school hype and the desire/need for people to see the "second coming of Reggie Bush."

I'd love to see the kid succeed (as a Jet), but since we made the pick I've never been confident. Time will tell of course.

18. ........

........ Trolls

I've always hated the Reggie comparisons. He's not Reggie Bush. He was a better RB at USC, but as an overall playmaker, he can't touch him.

McKnight is a great one cut guy with excellent open field moves. That's why I want to see him with the first team, and why I think he can be successful in our system.

Now, as far as his attitude, I hated re whole 'pay me' business at USC. I'm not going to have disdain for him because of 5 minutes of edited TV. There is, however, one thing that DOES concern me more than a little. Forget Hard Knocks, I haven't seen one mention of McKnight and Sanchez since right after the draft. These guys were college teammates in the same backfield. If we should hear about anyone mentoring him or having his back on attitude troubles, it's Sanchez. The fact that we haven't worries me, and not about Sanchez.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

no one ran more Mangini penalty laps than Leon in his 1st TC. Mangini said in a press conference he probably said Leon's name the most.

He had a slow start. And look what Leon did for this team.

That's why I don't go crazy about Joe's inconsistency.

20. ........

........ Trolls

Also, as far as Leon is concerned, I do remember he was averaging about a yard per carry in his first couple of preseason games, then came alive a bit. He had to play with the first team to do anything too.

It was enough of a concern for this team that we tried to trade for Lee Suggs.