The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Care to share any metrics on that claim?

2. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I agree. The serious threat of a lockout makes me believe that, no matter how angry Revis is, he won't sit out the entire season. Unless you have serious emotional problems a la Ricky Williams, you just don't take two years out of your prime. Even if he sits for a few regular season games, I strongly believe that he'll eventually return.

That said, now that Revis has come this far there really is no incentive for him to come to camp. The Jets will welcome him with open arms whenever he does come back, and it's not like he needs to be here to learn the playbook or anything.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

30 years of observation.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

Who was the last holdout to get injured?

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Give him some time to look it up using Google.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Some of this is going to depend on the advice he's getting. It's really easy to get backed into a corner when other people are supporting you in doing this. If it was just his agents or just his uncle I'd be a lot more sanguine about him coming in at some point before he absolutely has to at game 11. With those guys all telling him to hold out he may well wind up in a frame of mind where he can't come in until his hand is forced and at that point he's likely to be really angry.

After missing the August 10th date Revis has no absolute incentive to report until the moment he will lose credit for fulfilling a year of his contract. If he's really worried about the injury possibility he will take the minimum snaps necessary to do that.

7. Hobbes3259

Cedric Benson was a very notable one when he was drafted.

Look, players and coaches (especially in this era of 12 month workouts) don't have Camp because they enjoy missing time away from home.

They do it to be in playing shape.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

That was 5 years ago. There have been plenty of holdouts since then, including Revis the first time.

9. ........

........ Trolls

I think Andre Smith was hurt pretty quickly in camp. It was on Hard Knocks. I'm not sure how long he was out, though.

EDIT: He was injured 2 days after he ended his holdout, only played in 6 games, and had one start.

10. Hobbes3259

Look..part of it may be perception..All NFL players carry substantial risk of injury...but at the end of the day you're taking guys who haven't put that finish coat on their bodies and throwing them on the field with those that have.

11. ........

........ Trolls

I should mention, though, that I don't consider Revis to have an increased risk of injury by holding out given his time in the league, his position, and the assumption that he's training. Benson's a running back, Smith a tackle. Both were rookies at the time.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to see some data to back up what you said. My memory isn't the same as yours.

13. Hobbes3259

Hamstrings.....

That's the one I worry about when Receivers or DB's miss time.

14. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson both got dinged in their hold out years.

Javon Walker blew out his knee in the first game, but I don't remember if he just bitched or held out.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Ok, now I'm going to need to see numbers :up:

16. ........

........ Trolls

I don't think Walker ever actually held out. Otherwise, he'd be a good example. I'm not going to put a corner in the same grouping as a RB when it comes to the holdout/injury argument. Those are, however, better arguments since neither one was a rookie at the time.

17. Hobbes3259

You can go to MLB for that one.

(Though...as you point out above, hopefully Mevi$ isn't couch bound)

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The problem with that is the Jets would be absolute idiots to give him one more dime for this year if he isn't here week 1...in fact I would collect ever penny of fines he has incurred and every game check he will miss before letting him back..since all he cares about is money there is little chance he comes back in the middle of the season..that said I think he has to be here by next week to get into "football shape" to be ready for week 1. Even Favre is back now because he realizes just that.

#4118 Don, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  19. Hobbes3259

That was the point I made 40 odd pages ago.

Once you get past the Second preseason game, he's now placing himself ahead of the team....

I've got no issue with the man trying to earn more money, but in light of all the facts he has an obligation to the Organization, and his Teammates at that point...

But...I don't see it happening before September.

20. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

There are a few differences between Favre and Revis. First of all, Favre is 40 years old and coming off a major surgery, while Revis is 25 and in excellent physical condition (as far as we know)--it will take Favre a longer time to get into game shape than it will take Revis.

Second, Favre is a QB--he needs to learn every single new wrinkle in the playbook, and the entire offense needs to get used to him running the show. That takes a lot of time and detail. In Revis' case, you can pretty much just plug him in across from the other team's best receiver and go from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.