Martin on LT

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boshhemi487, Aug 18, 2010.

1. boshhemi487

boshhemi487 New Member

Curtis Martin: L.T. better at 31 than I was
    By Tim Graham
    ESPN.com

LaDainian Tomlinson is 31 years old. Plenty believe he's running on fumes toward the goal line of his career.

Curtis Martin doesn't see it that way because he knows what a running back can do at 31. Martin led the NFL with 1,697 yards and 12 touchdowns six years ago.

Martin remains the franchise's rushing leader and was celebrated as a charter member of the Jets' Ring of Honor at halftime of Monday night's preseason game against the New York Giants.

"I think LaDainian has a lot left and I'm not just saying that because it's the right thing to say," Martin said before the first game at the new Meadowlands stadium. "I won the rushing title at 31, and I think LaDainian has much more ability than I had."

There is, however, a difference. Martin showed no signs of fading at that stage. He had rushed for 1,094 yards when he was 29 and improved to 1,308 yards when he was 30.

Tomlinson's total has dropped each of the past three seasons, from a career-high of 1,815 yards in 2006. He has dipped to 1,474 yards and to 1,110 yards and to 730 yards with the San Diego Chargers.

"He has the right mindset," Martin said. "You can kick him, kick him and kick him, and eventually he's going to break your foot off. I respect players with that type of fight."

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I remember when Sunday Morning Countdown showed Curtis Martin and LT training in the offseason together a few years back.....They were "running the hill" together.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Curtis Martin speaks the truth.

CM is the Classiest player to ever wear a Jet's uniform.

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

OK, so LT was roughly equivalent to CM at age 29. Interesting.

5. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Yeah, Curtis is just being modest...

6. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I believe that LT's impact on this team will be more coming out of the backfield as a receiver, than actually running the ball. Shonn Greene is going to have a monster, breakout season.

7. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

i see LT playing a more effective version of the leon washington role, minus the kick returns. he will be a very good change of pace for shonn greene. greene can wear down LB's and we send in LT late to blow past them when they are exhausted.

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

I don't know about more effective. Leon brought so much to the table with plenty more youth. Not just HOF'r stats. He gave screen pass a whole new meaning.

9. lamont_jordan_rules

... rather than just a flat yards rushing per season, it definitely is more informative to have the rest of his rushing/receiving stats as well...

... yards per carry back up tim graham's assertion that he's lost a step or two ... but ...

the chargers had shifted from a running team to a passing team in that time, as well as relegate lt to the bench for sproles ... our OL should certainly help improve his stats this year ...

... also ...

... 64 td's rushing + 7 receiving = 71 Total TD's and only 3 fumble's in 4 years is beyond impressive!!! ...

rushing

Year G Att Yards TD Fum Avg
    2006 16 348 1,815 28 2 5.2
    2007 16 315 1,474 15 - 4.7
    2008 16 292 1,110 11 - 3.8
    2009 14 223 0,730 12 1 3.3

receiving

Year Rec Yds Avg TD
    2006 56 508 9.1 3
    2007 60 475 7.9 3
    2008 52 426 8.2 1
    2009 20 154 7.7 0

l_j_r

10. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

one of the most overlooked aspects about LT2 is the winning attitude and veteran presence he brings to the team. TJ was huge for us in that area.

11. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Why are people forgetting how god awful the Chargers Offensive line became under Norv Turner?

12. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Agreed. LTs hasn't had a line with anything near our talent for a couple of years now. Behind our line, which made TJ look great, his numbers will rebound.

He is older, though, and has been dinged up a bit, and is part of an O with many options, so I don't think he'd be able to exceed the numbers Leon put up.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'm excited for LT being here. Its awesome. But I'm more excited about how Sanchez has T-Rich, LT, and Brunell all helping him mature and grow. That's how you help a young QB in this league. Its a beautiful thing.

LT will be a major factor in this offense this season.

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

But they mentioned in the game two nights ago how ineffective the the Jets RBs were catching the ball out of the backfield last year. It was some incredibly low number of receptions. Now I understand that Leon got injured about midway through the season but he was fairly unproductive up to that point.

15. bdsarine

bdsarine New Member

LT is gonna turns some heads catching passes out of the backfield this year

16. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Maybe but,

I don't trust Cmarts ability to evaluate talent 1 bit.... A few things I heard him say lead me to feel this way - the biggest being that he would have bet his house that Lendalle White would be a GREAT GREAT back in this league - I remember that draft and he stated White should be a top pick in that draft - He had no clue. I was like WHAAAAAAAAT??????

Guy might be a great person and had a great career but, I'll have to hear a lot smarter FOOTBALL talk come out of his mouth to be convinced he knows more about talent than any shmuck on a jets board.

17. Denny

Denny Active Member

Stats-wise absolutely but I think that had more to do with the game planning as he had almost matched his amount of carries at the halfway point. Grant it he never found the end zone and his receiving went down but I think the Modus Apparatus was quite clear from the get- go...4.6 yds a carry is nothing to shake a stick at...I guess my statement is more attributable to his performances up to before last year.

18. robryan

robryan New Member

Well if Greene went down and LT took over I would have to say the season would be in jeopardy (if your measuring stick is a Super Bowl victory). Say what you will about Martin, but the stats of older RBs shows decline for most all of them. Better offensive line or not, it would be absolutely shocking if LT came out and rushed for near 5 yd/carry. That said, Greene has stone hands, so LT will have his uses, especially since McKnight has not gotten rave reviews thus far.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, the problem is McKnight not Tomlinson. Tomlinson was brought in to be a third down back and mainly to catch drop off passes. They were expecting McKnight to be able to add something. He was a 4th round pick, one round below Greene. He needs to pick it up.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Yeah, so far he is dissapointing but it's still very early. Remember, Leon Washington was having a tough time in his first training camp and by the end of his rookie season, it was already obvious that he was going to be a very good player.