The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Favre is back before Revis? Where are we?

[​IMG]

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I just called Neil and did my best Geiger impression. "Hey, it's Geiger. I had to change my number. Give me a call at (347) xxx-xxxx ."

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

4. franzman9

franzman9 Member

We should all email these guys and tell them to get their heads out of their asses and get reasonable.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I didn't say you did. I'm just saying there are three pretty well known facts that people like to ignore.

1 - The Jets are about 6 or 7 million under the 2009 cap.

2 - The owners that made up the 3/4 needed majority to cancel the current CBA were mainly from small market teams. They wanted to cancel it because they didn't want any minimum cap and thought the high end was too high.

3 - Pretty much everybody agrees that when there is a new CBA there will be a new cap and that cap will be the same or marginally higher than what it was in 2009.

The rest is easy to figure out.

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

$30 mil guaranteed? I think that's a very low number. He gave up $20 mil guaranteed to get more. His guaranteed will be around $50 mil (including roster bonuses of course).

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We're definitely not better without him, we're better with him. However we're good enough without him unless the offense isn't going to hold up its end of the bargain and if that's true it doesn't matter whether the defense is Revis good or just less good.

We're definitely screwed moving forward if he gets the contract he's holding out for and that's the only thing I know for sure. You can't pay a CB like a franchise QB and be competitive in the NFL. That's because CB's just don't touch the ball enough to make them that valuable.

8. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

The $20 million was only guaranteed if he survived this season without a big injury. Revis wants upfront/guaranteed money now and not as a buyback option at the end of the year.

Maybe $30 million is low, but I don't think it will get much higher than that.

9. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]C6YfJZ9hxLQ[/YOUTUBE]

$300,000 under the 2009 cap

10. Br4d

To tell you the truth I'm thinking soft-cap enforced by a nasty luxury tax. I think the soft-cap before luxury penalties kick in is going to be WELL below the 2009 cap, maybe 15-20% lower. The cap got a huge boost when the last deal was signed and then another big boost the next year. The owners are going to take that back and then use the luxury tax to keep teams from blowing out the cap except for a year now and then.

The soft-cap + luxury tax + rookie salary slotting is what is eventually going to get this all done. Soft-cap for big market teams that want to splurge now and then, luxury tax for small market teams who want to make sure that money spent by big market teams at least comes back to the smaller markets in some form or another, rookie salary slotting for everybody concerned including the veteran players who will be the only ones voting on the NFLPA side.

11. ........

........ Trolls

So, adopt the NBA structure. Excellent idea, especially if they implement a few mid-level exemptions.

12. Br4d

Yeah, I think they might exempt a part of the cap price for 10 year vets making less than twice the minimum and another smaller piece for players who are playing for the team that drafted them if it's the only team they have played for. Make it cheaper on the cap for a team to resign its own players than a free agent, although not a lot cheaper, maybe 10% or something. The vested vet thing would be so that players who have never broken the bank aren't forced out because other people are.

13. Don

This is usually pretty accurate. I must have been thinking the wrong number. I thought it was 129 last year. Just looked it up, it was 128 so if that link below is accurate they would be about 5 mil under.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

#4033 Don, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  14. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

The revamped CBA absolutely needs to have a rookie wage scale. If they don't its going to screw up the financial of teams in the long term. Sam Bradford with what? $35 mil guaranteed and not even 1 snap in the NFL? Ridiculous.

15. Don

50 million guaranteed, isn't it?

16. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Of course, those contracts are beyond stupid. There are so many examples of high talent guys coming up from college that just can't cut it in the NFL, or guys that get injured every snap. Players need to prove themselves before they can get a penny of guaranteed money, IMO at least 2 years

17. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

You'd have to see the breakdown and qualifiers.

Stafford needed to play 35% of the offensive snaps in '09 to receive $9 million and IIRC the Lions have the call on $17 of the $42 million in 2013.

18. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Why does everyone want to throw him this fucked up contract? Well have the best CB in the league, but is the rest of the team going to give up their salary for him??? I can't believe how selfish Revis is and even more so I can't believe people are so desperate as to grant him this ridiculous contract.

19. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I just wish the fucking guy would sign a band-aid at this point, and then see what the cap is like next year.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I think in this case it would be a tampon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.