The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Well said. I think it is a good summary.

2. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

If anyone disagrees with those, he needs his head checked.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I think people are trying to justify the fact that this defense won't miss a beat without Revis in the lineup.

I'm certainly not in favor of Tanny crippling the future of this team for one player.....but make no mistake....Revis is still the most important player in Rex's defensive scheme. If Cromartie didn't tackle like a fairy, we didn't have a rookie starting opposite him and the CB depth on this team wasn't lacking...I may be a little less adamant in my opinion.

All I know is....this holdout better be resolved before the week 1 kickoff.......that's really the bottom line.

I'm tired of this shit.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Fair enough, and before it goes way off topic. You have to admit, the Redskins defense was horrendous that day. That is where I was headed.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Then I think you have not read all the posts on this thread. Because that is only part of it, the other being if the team can do without Revis and still be a reasonable SB contender.

I would like to think so. BUt no, I really don't. Others here disagree with that assessment. THAT is the real discussion.

Having said that, I think the discussion should take a new course. Assuming Revis is not in camp in the next ten days, that leaves two remaining pre-season games and prep for Opening Day. Time running out, in other words, to get real help at Cb. I have no idea who's out there, and what can be reasonably done, but I hope they make some significant move, since I think it more likely than not that no deal will be reached.

6. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

Was Ty Law incidental when he had an Interception for a Touchdown in a 20-17 win???

What a stupid comment. Ty Law was easilly as important as Tom Brady in that Superbowl. I can't believe you are making me defend New England right now.

7. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

You're generalizing and oversimplifying. The team doesn't NEED anyone. Everyone here would LOVE to have Revis back. I'm not sure how saying he deserves $12 million doesn't show that. The question is, if he insists on his current demands, is it worth sacrificing the other players in need of new contracts to meet those demands? I say no. It's a big drop off without Revis here, and certainly hurts our chances. It's not, however, as big of a dropped as it would be to lose Mangold and Harris, where the talent level is much more shallow IMMEDIATELY behind them.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I mentioned in a previous post....that I'm against Tanny crippling the team in lieu of lining Revis' pockets with too much money...thus killing our cap.

The point I was making was.....I'm not going to sugarcoat the alternative and say that our defense is FINE without Revis.....because it's not. If Cromartie (who has an injury history with SD) or Wilson go down....our Pass D will get slaughtered.

Again...my bottom line is....I just want this situation resolved.....preferably before week 1.

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I don't remember great corners in Baltimore. He ran the same D there as well. He had a much better front 7 there too, but still he relied on sending more than you can block. Its not like having a great front 7 kept him from blitzing all the time.

Revis is essential to greater success with this D, but maybe not essential to be called a team that relies on their D. In other words, Revis pushes this D from a top 10 to possibly the best D, again.

10. Big Blocker

The Giants looked out of synch on O. That wasn't all the Jets, like Jacobs running into Manning. Unforced error. They had squat at TE out there. That didn't affect their passing game? The Giants had a good passing attack last year, but that is not what the Jets played against last night.

And yeah, we know Cro is not much of a tackler, putting it nicely. Wilson is going to make his mistakes as a rookie, no doubt, no matter how talented he is. It's the nature of hte pro game and learning the position. Wilson was also supposed to be part of that depth, and with him starting, there really is none.

I don't see the optimism here about the pass D from last night. It's way too homeristic.

I am also tired, but I am not so hopeful, either.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

So I guess what you're saying is the Jets defense can't be good without Revis. Do you forget Rex is a defensive guru? I'd bet he could field a top 10 defense with the current roster with no Revis. It has nothing to do with being a homer, so take your bs and shove it.

Is the defense better with Revis? Of course it is. Of course it is. I think you're talking about the difference between a very good defense and a great defense. You don't need a great defense to win a superbowl so long as you have a good offense to compliment a very good defense.

12. ........

........ Trolls

Which part told you that I haven't read all the posts on this thread? That I said that no one disputed that we weren't as good without Revis? Where's the post that said we were just as good or better WITHOUT Revis as we would be with Revis and the rest of our current defense?

I said nothing about whether we're a SB contender without him because that wasn't a part of the post I was referring to.

#3992 ........, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  13. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Good grief, who has?

14. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

A valid argument can be made for whether or not the Jets "need" Revis -- if you're speaking about long-term, then obviously, Revis is not worth the potential loss of other core players like Harris and Mangold.

But I think it's just as accurate to say this particular Defense hinges on Revis and outstanding CB play, mainly because we don't have a premier pass-rusher that terrorizes QBs and makes the CBs' jobs easier.

I'm fairly certain that Rex banked on Revis being here this year, which is why the only pass-rusher we added was Jason Taylor, who may or may not produce like he has throughout his career or even last year.

Don't you think that, say, if in Feb/March, Rex knew for sure that Revis wouldn't be a part of the D, the Jets would have placed a heavy emphasis on finding a demon pass-rusher either via trade or the Draft? But since that didn't happen and since we didn't target one, that clearly indicates Revis' importance to this specific D. No?

15. ........

........ Trolls

Our pass defense absolutely is FINE without Revis. It's nowhere near what it is with Revis, which is OUTSTANDING, but it's FINE.

As far as "if someone goes down we're in bad shape", well...obviously. If Revis doesn't come back, of course we're going to bring in another CB for depth. As of right now, they're seemingly operating under the assumption that he'll return this season.

Who doesn't want the situation resolved?

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We can agree on them if you are talking three years from now when his contract is up..otherwise all you are doing is trying to make yourself his agent. Until then he should get nothing more than what he already had.

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

If Rex knew for sure Revis was not going to be here, I am guessing he would have drafted a corner in that situation too, more likely than the reverse.

18. Big Blocker

I have high hopes for the O, particularly if LG is shored up. But I am not counting on it being top five in the league, either.

Meanwhile the Jets have to prepare as if not only the Colts but NE will stand in their way to an SB, and if both their rosters are healthy, barring real decline on NE's OL, they will both likely have top offenses.

Unless the Jets have one of the two or three top D's in the league, they will probably not make the SB, I am afraid to say. Without Revis, they probably won't. It's really that simple.

19. ........

........ Trolls

Exactly. It seems to be a no win situation in this thread. Either you feel that we're doomed without Revis or you feel that we're just as good without Revis. There's no in the middle? I consider myself firmly in the middle. We're not nearly as good without him, but I certainly don't think we're doomed to mediocrity.

I don't think anyone here DOESN'T want Revis back. Bradway seems to lean a bit that way given his perception of the other factors, but that's it. I don't think even he would suggest that we're better off without him, other factors notwithstanding.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Victor Cruz says Hi.

our starters are fine (at the moment), Ig.....our depth is lacking. I'm not sold on Lowery....and Coleman is a turd.

Now...Lowery/Coleman could come back in the 2nd preseason game and play like champions......but as of right now, they're questionable.

If this team has Super Bowl aspirations....they're going to need Revis in the fold. Some of you may not agree...but that's my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.