The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

The beauty of Rex's D is that when teams go 3-4 wide and put a back into the route the quarterback has about 2 seconds to pass the ball. Even the guys that everyone is worried about can play decent coverage for two seconds.

Everyone seems to be thinking way ahead to a rematch with the Colts. With the current CB corps Manning will probably put up some points which is why it's a good thing the offense is a lot better this year. If the Jets are gonna beat the colts it won't be by holding Peyton to 14 points without Revis. It will by scoring more points than him.

2. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Teams like NE and Indy are very good at picking up the blitz, even Rex's crazy s***. They won't pick up most of them in such sets, but all guys like Brady or Manning need are one or two plays to make it happen. That means for those few plays where the blitz is picked up, we'll need stout CB play, and possibly even more important, good tackling (which Cro is weak at).

NE (x2), Min, GB, and Hou will be rough spots without Revis.

3. ukilledkenny

Like I said, good thing the offense is better this year. I still think Revis will be playing by week one so I'm not very concerned at all but without him I would still be comfortable with the current defense going into the season.

4. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Last year the Pats killed the jets in the second game by spreading it out. So did the Colts in the playoffs. Both the Pats and the Colts have the bodies to have four or five good receivers in and even have empty backfields at will.

5. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

If last night is any indicator, then I think we'll be fine. Sanchez surprised the hell out of me. That first pick made me sick, drawing nightmare flashbacks of the Buffalo game last season. Then he game back strong. If he keeps it up, it'll open up the run for Shonn and really balance the offense out. Exciting stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't harbor as much confidence as you in regards to Revis. I just get the sense his agents will not budge, and will force a trade or have him sit out. Damn shame.

6. ukilledkenny

And last year the Jets had no way of keeping up with those offenses. this year they do. Your not gonna shut down Manning, Brady or Rogers all game every game no matter how good the defense is. At a certain point you need to be able to outgun the other team. The offense has the weapons to keep pace with the highest powered offenses now.

7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Get it done!

8. thedoc53

thedoc53 New Member

an hour and a half of no comment??!?!?! noooo way

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We won't trade him..not this year..not next year as there probably won't be a year..maybe the year after that..his agents won't force a thing.

10. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Exactly, there's no incentive for the Jets to trade Revis. Why fold when you won't get equal value for him in a trade, and you have all the leverage?

At the end of the day, Revis isn't going to sit out the entire season. Not with the high probability of no football next year--I don't care how badly he feels the team has wronged him, I just can't see him taking 2 full seasons out of his prime.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes and that's the problem..trade him for what? There is nobody to trade him for..give me the second best defensive player in the NFL with three years left on his rookie deal and a number 1 pick and we can at least talk about it. I don't want multiple #1s where I have to pay them a shitload of guaranteed money (more than Revis wants now) and they could end up like Gholston...maybe if a rookie slotting system comes about with a new deal we can talk...until then I'm keeping him.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I agree, and I think that's what the Jets are banking on. (Of course, they were probably hoping for a better showing of depth at corner last night, but there isn't much you can do about that.) Revis won't sit out the year with the real risk of no football next year. He also won't return without a new contract. In the end, he's going to have to come closer to the Jets' offers than his own demands just for the good of his own career. Less than he wants is still more than he needs.

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

In recent news there is reportedly nothing new to report on.

Please discuss for at least 10 more pages.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think they are too far apart.

And there's something else, one of my truisms about Life -

You can't count on someone else doing the right thing by themselves.

Just because we all here might say, if I were Revis I would do X

Doesn't mean he's going to do it.

All indications are he and his agents are dug in like ticks on a hound. Absent some movement from the Jets, which is ANOTHER thing we don't know about or can count on, I see it more likely than not that Revis does not cave.

On the Jets side you just know a factor is them thinking they're standing up for the interests of all owners. Even if Woody is not getting calls like that. Which he may well be.

If the Jets aren't prepared to raise their offer significantly, I would spend all my time trying to bring in significant help at cb, the sooner the better. Don't wait until opening day.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/nflbl..._clx7ZJHafNse4BWDZaGmRO?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

16. Big Blocker

Lol but actually there is news, from last night's game, the news being the Jets secondary did not look world class.

17. ........

........ Trolls

Only in the 2nd half, which says a lot about our depth at the position, but not about our starters. Obviously, Revis helps with the depth issue, but our starters were fine.

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The first squad was fine. There will never be a point in the season when we have all backups starting in the secondary.

After the first half I felt confident.

Minus that 1 fluke play the D basically gave up about 60 yards.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a great post. We beat the Colts last year if Strickland doesn't get hurt, forcing the defense to stop blitzing as much and applying pressure and if Greene doesn't go down crippling the offense.

Having Darrelle Revis on the field in that game minus pressure and an offense didn't do anything for us that having a good cornerback in his place wouldn't also have done.

A great QB is going to pick anybody apart if you give him 6 seconds to do it in. That includes 3x Darrelle Revis on the field. An offense that can't score points is going to lose to that great QB every time. That includes if Darrelle Revis is on the field on the defensive side.

The reason cornerbacks aren't worth 16 million dollars a year is because all they do is take one guy out of the play, and that guy they take out of the play is about as far from the center of the action as you can get.

20. Big Blocker

The every bit as good as last year part leaves out that once Strickland went down, the cb's other than Revis were mediocre. It was Revis and the Heedless. Revis could play single coverage on the other team's best receiver, and that allowed Rex to move the other guys around to cover as best they could. And last year was not good enough to play with passing attacks like the Colts and NE.

Adding Cro and Wilson were moves to upgrade the secondary to make the Jets SB caliber. "As good as last year" doesn't meet that standard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.