Sanchez's preseason performance vs Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Aug 17, 2010.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Sanchez seemed absolutely excellent tonight outside of that one unlucky first pass. And to think it was only his first time back in action coming off a big surgery.

If he can perform like this this year the jets EASILY have to be considered a top 2 contender in the AFC (with the only other team probably being more of a favorite as the Colts)

But I have to ask how much of his success can be contributed to the Giants absolutely sucking ? I mean their defense was absolutely god awful last year, especially their secondary.

I know now theyre healthy and have all their starters back but still, has Sanchez really improved that much ?

And also I found it interesting how well Sanchez was doing even while the #1s werent playing everydown. Seemed like Brad Smith had gotten more targets than anyone and hes gotta be at least #5 on the depth chart.

2. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

I couldn't agree more. Sanchez looked like he did in the postseason last year. Our offense is going to take a huge leap forward this season!

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Sanchez looked solid... part of me is questioning how much of this performance was poor defense by the NYG though, as a lot of the time the WR was wide fuckin open. Not to say Sanchez didn't make nice reads and throws, which he did. I also liked his utilization of the checkdown, something he should've done more last year.

All in all it was an encouraging game by Sanchez, he really piled on the yards at the end of the half.

4. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

Sanchez has a lot more weapons this year. LT looks rejuvenated, Edwards seems incredibly focused, and Holmes' athleticism is off the charts.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

There are so many weapons, they can't all be covered.

That's why it looked easy.

And the checkdowns were the best part of the offense tonight. Every checkdown I smiled and was just so happy to see Sanchez grow that much more.

6. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I thought Sanchez did a good job tonight. NDmick is right this offense is loaded with talent. If Sanchez can limit the bad throws that he made last year the Jets for sure have a chance to do great things this year. Conner looked fantastic blocking for Green tonight. Even the ghost could have had a sack if he didn't trip over his own two feet, at least it looked that way after a few gin and tonics. I cannot wait until opening night to see what our beloved Jets will do this season. J!-E!-T!-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Agreed, he's going through his progressions at lightning speed compared to last year.

That TD pass that bounced off Smith's hands was a good ball too, Smith seemed to have the timing a little off.

#7 MadBacker Prime, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

There was one to Smith and one to Keller that were almost there. Maybe the one to Edwards on the ground was a straight up bad throw.

But he isn't missing by much and could have gone 15/17. That's amazing.

I love that he's my QB, and that I wanted him drafted that year the whole way through.

9. BrooklynbornJet

BrooklynbornJet New Member

I agree, I think he looked really strong out there. The check downs are really encouraging to see and just wait till we get Holmes back after week 4, that should open up some room for him to spread the ball around.

10. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Yeah, its obvious he has gotten a good handle on this offense. You read all the articles about him studying his ass off during his rehab, but to see it on the field says it all. If he takes the next step this year, we are gonna have a great season. And having all those new toys is just icing on the cake......

11. Christian

Christian Active Member

I think we can all be very proud of the way Sanchez looked last night. It was a preseason game mind you but he still looked like he had a great command of the offense but his leadership skills looked to be off the chart at this point as well. That first pass to LT was set in stone no matter what the coverage was I think so I won't really fault him much for that.

Just being patient and surveying the field for the open guy just shows how much he improved over last year. He didn't seem to be staring down a receiver, then look at someone else, then go back to the previous receiver, something he did a lot of last season. Trusting his o-line to protect him and his receivers to get open really shows how hes matured between now and the end of last season.

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i was looking for the things that sanchez didnt do last year ...

his cadence at the line was awesome. he was able to change a few plays by using a hard count and identifying the blitzes pre snap

outside of the first play, i didnt see him lock on many receivers. he made a great play to edwards by looking a safety off

he checked down many times, which is exactly what i wanted to see from him. you could tell he was going through his progressions, and going with the low risk-low reward play instead of the bone head high risk-high reward plays

his accuracy was solid, but still not as sharp as hes capable of ... but overall, i loved what i saw from the young guy

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I think that was very important. Recognizing the defense and changing the play.

Good job, I am not going to go overboard as it is only preseason and the Giants were missing some guys on D, but a good start.

14. IATA

IATA Trolls

It was nice to see him not focus on 1 rcvr the whole play. That alone will help deflate his INT totals.

15. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

All that, yet physically he was obviously a little rusty. I liked the WC style slants to LT and Holmes. It reminded me of when Chad would just get the ball to Coles and Moss and let them do their YAC thing.

16. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

I said it during the offseason: completions. F*** the big play, just go for completions. Check-down all day if the defense is giving it to you. With the weapons on this team, there is no need to ever force anything. All of these guys are great after the catch, so let's just get them the ball.

There was one play especially, where Sanchez look at two receivers on his right, and then came back quick to his left on a check-down. You never saw that last season. Such huge stride in his first preseason game. Hopefully, more to come.

This.

From last season's stare-fest, to last nights look-offs, good reads, and check-downs, the kid's offseason work is looking to have payed off.

17. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I think he did pretty good. The Giants defense didn't get much pressure but they were covering our reciever pretty well imo. And overcoming those penalties repeatedly was well something VERY VERY Special.

18. milo

milo Well-Known Member

If it was Nacho throwing that ball to Holmes in the end-zone it would've been six. Wait til those two really get to heat up...

Outside of the first play he looked completely in control. I was actually glad to see him get the mulligan out of the way right off the bat.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Taking the check down instead of forcing it down field will be key...there's nothing wrong with dink and dunk if it works

20. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Holmes helped make Kellen Clemens look like a player in that game. So once Homes and Sanchez get on the same page, they will be incredible. Weapons everywhere. I want to see a 10 minute drive every 1st quarter just to wear the shit out of the opposing D. That should give the Jets a huge advantage.