The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

True.

I've largely been ignoring it because I'd probably emo rage and write some very pointed internet message board posts that leave me feeling unsatisfied and likely get me ripped by the resident correctness patrol.

It speaks volumes about the Jets that they can still be exciting even without their best player available at present.

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Throw a giant beetle in there and I think we have a project the SyFy channel will be very interested in green lighting.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If you guys want to attack the idea, feel free. Br4dw4y5ux has the same opinion, so why not argue with him too?

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Klecko pointed it out on the radio this morning.

What we're really talking about here is the difference between the best defense in the league, and the possibility of an All Time great... change the record books defense.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

bradway isn't playing the woe is me card when people disagree with him and his posts are easy to understand even when i disagree with him.

6. CatoTheElder

Probably because he hasn't given us anything new to argue over for 28 posts.

Also, this.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm really pissed off at Revis at this point. It's a corollary of life as a Jet's fan that nothing really good can happen without something terrible happening right after it.

The Jets look really good in 1981 and then the strike happens and their best player Joe Klecko gets hurt and after a good short 1982 they're run of the mill again until 1985. They go 10-1 in 1986 and then the wheels fall off as everybody important gets hurt. Their best player for the decade, Klecko, is hurt several times and that just cripples their super bowl window.

Parcells comes in and revives the franchise in 1997 and takes them to the AFC championship in 1998 and then Vinny gets hurt and the wheels fall off again.

Chad looks great in 2002 and then he turns out to be an egg and free agency strips the team of a lot of its talent and the wheels basically fall off again. Chad is hurt repeatedly and the super bowl window if they ever had one, is slammed on our fingers.

Mangini comes in at the end of that sorry run and revives the team but they collapse again right afterwards. Favre gets brought in and the Jets look great but they collapse at the end, mainly because Favre gets hurt.

Ryan comes in and the Jets do something special at the end of the 2009 season and now we have Revis holding out for a contract he will never get and raising the specter that 2010 will once again fail to live up to the promise that 2009 made.

The difference between all of the things above? Untimely injuries caused most of the collapses that have afflicted us over the years. Darrelle Revis is choosing to put us on the spot this year, and he's doing it in the most aggravating way - making demands that are nearly impossible to meet.

Honestly, I'd rather the Jets traded him at this point for something that really helped us for the year. If we're going to lose out on this window I'd rather it was to an injury or something than because of the demands of some guy who has already made more money than I ever will, and won't accept a fortune to play for the team but has to have the biggest fortune of all.

I'll never like Revis again. He may play for us but I know his heart is in his wallet.

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

You don't replace a Revis, you merely try to put a band-aid on it the best you can. That band-aid in this case is Wilson, Cromartie, Lowery and whoever else is in the the Jets secondary.

For all who are making the argument that we can get on just fine without him don't get it.

It's not about getitng on just fine, it's about dominating and that won't happen with our D if he's not out there.

9. CatoTheElder

Pretty much this. I do think that this defense can be as good as it was last season without Revis. The problem is that "as good as it was last season" gets us a loss in the AFCC.

10. xxedge72x

I agree with most of what you said except for the part about his head being in his wallet. Think of it from the players perspective... the opportunity to make this kind of money is fleeting... for a lot of players its an opportunity to take care of their family and not have to worry again for the rest of their lives.

Revis is holding out right now because he knows that if the Jets don't pay him some other team will. Very rarely does it happen that a team will simply stash a player for a year and flip them the bird without receiving any compensation. As long as he feels he's going to get what he thinks he can get he'll continue along this path.

I don't like or agree with what he's doing... but it is entirely understandable that he's seizing on both the hype and his performance to date in order not to miss out on an opportunity that he may never have again... and the painful reminder of Leon Washington doesn't help this any.

As to the Jets always getting the short end of the stick... I totally agree... this franchise is cursed no doubt about it... still, I'm glad that this time around its Rex at the head of the ship... somehow I think he'll find a way to navigate around this crisis.

No one thought the defense would hope up after Jenkins went down... especially after the first couple of games he had last season. Rex is a defensive mind through and through... he'll figure this out.

11. ........

........ Trolls

I had a feeling something like this was going on, which is why I chose to ignore it. I have a lot of respect for you, even though I wholeheartedly disagree with your position on this one. We all allow emotion to cloud our judgment when it comes to our favorite teams, and it's pretty clear that's what's going on at this point.

The point itself is rather illogical. Revis has stated he's not coming back without a long-term contract, so the idea that he'd be returning to play out his contract and thus represent a potential loss at the end of the season carries no weight. If he returns, it will be under long term contract and he'll immediately start again. Cromartie would be the odd man out at the end of the season, but I still think Wilson would be relegated to the nickel for the time being. I'm not sure how you can argue that point.

I will say this, however. If it DID come to a trade, it wouldn't be all bad. We'd immediately have the ability to sign at least two players whom we'd otherwise have to let go at the end of the season. We'd have a starting pair of Wilson and Cromartie, retain Mangold and Harris, and would at least be able to retain one, if not both, of our big receivers. It wouldn't be the end of the world, and that's something we can agree on.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I thought he predicted this last October?

13. xxedge72x

What would be fair trade value though? At what point can you acceptably risk losing a player who is as valuable as Revis is?

Multiple 1st round picks? Doesn't help this year.

More players? Likely more contracts to deal with. How many players could really make a significant impact on the team right now outside of the CB position?

14. WhiteShoeWillis

What do you mean?

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

So how do you know D'Brick wouldn't have held out if he wasn't given a huge contract that he eventually got? This is all hypothetical but it belies a larger point.

Same goes for any other player on any other team that didn't get what they were entitled to getting.

The bottom line is this...Revis deserves to be the highest paid corner (and probably defensive player) in the game today.

The owners have all of the leverage with NFL contracts and that's why the sport is facing a lockout

That company line from Tannenbaum and Woody is complete and utter BS.

They say he should honor the last year of his contract because it's a rookie contract.

Well at the same time if he's underperforming they can void his contract at any point that they feel like it. So they want him to honor something that they can make null and void at any point in time? Sounds like the owners have no honor whatsoever. That's talking out both sides of their mouth.

The NFL is the most performance driven of any pro sport. The reason being your lifespan is so much shorter than other sport.

You need to make your money when you're in your prime because your prime won't be here long at all.

Revis is entitled to much more money. You pay the guy what he's worth, plain and simple. The other guys who want contracts are good but they're not the best player in the game good.

16. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

To be able to trade him and sign our other core players would be a shimmer of light. Also to be able to keep Edwards and Holmes would be nice.

I would prefer; Revis, Mangold, Holmes and Cromatie though.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not accurate..He's not a FA. He's under contract, one way or another, for 3 more years.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

Except that's not what the Jets are saying. They're saying we want to extend your contract and are willing to pay you $120,000,000 over the next 10 years and we're flexible on the guaranteed money, but we're NOT going to pay you $160,000,000 over the next 10 years. If you want that contract, finish out your rookie deal and become a UFA.

19. CatoTheElder

I really don't see this as being a possibility. They're both deep threat, #1 WRs and they are both going to want to start. Unless Schottenheimer plans on switching our offense to the Cardinals' O from the past few seasons, having Edwards and Holmes on the field as the #1 and 2 WRs doesn't really fit our offense.

20. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Holy shit. You just walked into this thread without reading hardly any of it and spewed strawman arguments that have been debunked again and again.

Almost no one is against giving Revis 'top' dollar or something resembling it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.