The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Does anyone know the answer to this question: what is the minimum number of games he has to play this season to go through his $1 million contract year? For example, could he play one game this year for 1/16th of $1 million and then move on to $5 million next year? (I know he wouldn't get closer to free agency).

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I don't see how Revis DOESN'T play this year. He'll only hurt himself by sitting out.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't either. The 2011 lockout really hurts his holdout threat IMO.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

true, and missing two years in this league for a player that talented is way too long.

5. perfectpackage99

revis

if the Jets pay Revis the big bucks, I guarantee you he will have 1-2 good seasons and then you will see a drop off in his productivity.

We should not jeapordize the future of this team for 1 player, Revis will cave in and they will come to an agreement in 2-3 weeks. For now, it's all politics.

6. smelly_joe

smelly_joe New Member

Agree completely, but i cant help thinking my judgements clouded by how much happier id be seeing him lining up against the ravens

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The big question will be why the Jets are losing if they have a bad start. They're playing Baltimore, New England, Miami and Buffalo in the first quarter of the season and all of those teams are going to try to establish the run against the Jets before they go to the pass. If the Jets start poorly the odds are very good that it will be because they can't stop the run well enough. That, or the offense is just not ready for primetime with a new starter at left guard and Sanchez having some second year issues or Greene getting hurt.

If they start 4-0 then Revis either caves and comes in to play or he doesn't. All of his leverage will be exhausted at that point, given that Boldin, Moss and Marshall will all have failed to beat the Jets minus Revis at that point. If he caves and comes in at that point who knows what the Jets will do? I doubt they'll sit Wilson if he's playing well and there's no way Revis will take Cromartie's slot. The Jets will be very unlikely to shake things up off of a 4-0 start. My guess is the only reason Revis comes in at that point is to try to force a trade by creating a roster slot conundrum for the Jets. He certainly won't be happy sitting behind Wilson.

My guess is the only way this gets resolved after the season starts is if the Jets get off to a 2-2 start or thereabouts and lose a game because Cromartie can't handle one of the elites or Wilson turns out to be rookie toast. A fast start by the Jets is just going to delay things until game 11 and a slow start is likely going to be caused by something other than the pass defense.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

I highly doubt Rex would think twice about moving Wilson to nickel if Revis came back after a 4-0 start.

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I dont think we'll get revis signed before the season starts. The jets wont fold cause his demands are ridiculous and in result cripple our team for the future. He seems very stubborn and caught up in the amount he wants and his ego as being the best corner back in the game. Leon and sean gilbert have instilled a negative mindset and thats why Revis won't budge. I think if we dont have him signed a few weeks into the season then we should look to trade him because he has good value and we could definentley pick up some talent.

10. Br4d

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That's a rule all managers learn or ignore at their peril. I suspect Ryan would say that Revis needs a week or two to get in playing shape before he returns to the starting lineup. The week or two would either provide Ryan with incentive to put Revis in or to not make the change.

4-0 would be a hard thing to break up, especially if Wilson was playing well. After all the Jets have Wilson under contract for a number of years at this point and he provides some cost certainty for them.

If the Jets were seriously considering a Cromartie extension at that point I think Revis might wind up being viewed as an expensive luxury.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

You guarantee we will see a big dropoff in his productivity at the ripe old age of 27? Revis has never been the kind of guy who slacks and is a slouch until his contract year. The guy busted his ass and played great from day 1, getting better each season.

Make no mistake.. he is not Albert Haynesworth who slacked off and didn't work hard until he was in his 2 contract years with Tennessee (1 being a franchise year) and then gave up totally. None of us can guarantee anything about Revis or the jets but I am fairly certain that if we get him signed we will see an elite corner for at least 5 more years.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

It's not like Wilson would be moved to the bench. It's not like it's a quarterback where only 1 can play at a time. If we are 4-0 and that's when Revis comes back, that is an excellent problem to have. Wilson will absolutely be moved back to nickel in that hypothetical situation and Revis will take his spot shadowing the other team's #1 WR the day he walks into the building. He is that good. We aren't talking about a "good" or "very good" player. We are talking about the best of the best here.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm sorry but Revis makes the secondary better. The luxury of moving Wilson - who in your scenario is playing well to the nickel position is one that Rex would never pass up. I'd bet a lot of money on it.

Revis will be starting when he returns.

14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

???

Why would Rex leave in a rookie CB instead of playing a starting lineup of Cromartie and the "best corner in football"(his words)? To stay married to a cliche?

15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Starting someone who hasnt been at training camp or with the team for awhile can be a big gamble. Sometimes players take it in a bad way and it messes up the chemistry. If Revis started it would possibly mess with wilsons confidence and thats something that is essential for a rookie. It would be a whole lot easier if Revis just reported to camp. That way this would never be an issue.

16. Br4d

I think it's game 11, although it's not clear how the changes in the CBA opt-out rules effect things. I also think the Jets could at any point say that Revis has fulfilled the year and move on to the next one. So he could hold out the entire season and if the Jets decided to move on to the year where he can opt out that's where they'd go.

The minute the Jets do something punitive Revis will gain in public opinion so I don't expect them to hold him to this year in the contract regardless of what happens.

The Chargers are being really stupid in their stance towards McNeill and Jackson. They really need McNeill long-term and they're alienating him to an extent that will likely result in them forced to trade him at some point. The Charger's locker room has to be pretty unhappy about the situation also at this point.

Belichik is being a lot smarter in not trying to hammer Mankins. It gives the team a chance to reconcile with him at some point and they need Mankins as much as the Chargers need McNeill.

One interesting thing: the Chargers sent their two restricted free agents the formal letter that they had to give 3 games notice before they'd be allowed back on the roster, effectively docking them a minimum of 3 game checks, preventing them from playing before game 4, and forcing them to report by game 7 if they wanted to get credit for the contract year. Belichik said on Sunday that since Mankins was an RFA and not under contract that the Patriots COULD NOT send such a letter to him since those letters could only be sent to holdouts under contract. Big difference of opinion between AJ Smith and Belichik and if Belichik is right then AJ Smith will be out a job before this is all over and done with.

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I highly doubt Wilson will take to heart being benched in favor of the best cornerback in the game.

18. Br4d

because the Jets would have no reason to believe they could sign Revis long-term and they'd be better off seeing Wilson develop into a great corner. The best way to do that off of a strong start by him would be to keep playing him.

I'll almost guarantee that if Cromartie and Wilson are playing well and the Jets are 4-0 that Revis is the nickel if he returns. If Wilson or Cromartie is not playing well then the Jets probably won't be 4-0 so the scenario is pretty airtight.

The only way Revis steps back in over somebody who is playing very well when he returns is if he is signed to a contract.

19. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

Revis is the type of player that can step in without missing a beat. you know it and Rex knows it. you think he hasn't been training every day during this holdout? that his cover skills somehow diminished over the offseason?

20. Br4d

Yes, but why would you mess with the development of a young corner who is doing very well, who you selected with your first round pick, who is signed for 5 seasons, and who is contributing to a very hot start?

It just wouldn't make sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.