The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I thought I heard in the last few days that his rookie deal gave him more guaranteed money than anybody else in the first round of that year's draft (had it played out). If he broke that deal then I don't think there is any deal that he would necessarily care about.

2. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I don't agree I feel like he should be playing for the contract he already has while working out a new deal because he signed it. If he had no contract I would agree with you but he is signed for 3 more years!

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Maybe but it is what it is and that's exactly how people will be thinking about it. They should absolutely care about his contract if it keeps the team from signing one or two other vets. If they sign him and Mangold and Harris and either Cromartie, Holmes or Edwards( preferabbly Holmes in my opinion) then I think people will forget.

#3403 Don, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I still think the big loser in all of this will ultimately be Harris, I felt that way before the hold out and I feel stronger about it now being as the Jets absolutely will have to pay Mangold as the highest paid Center in the league as he's clearly the best. I think Harris is replacable but Mangold is not and I think that's what it will come down to. The real key will be what happens with Braylon, Santonio and Cro- Mart.

5. ........

........ Trolls

His money wasn't guaranteed until after this season. If he had been injured this season, kiss that $20 million goodbye. That was his problem, and the Jets knew it. That's why Tanny approached him about a new contract. I don't see the point of complaining about his view of that contract when it was shared by the FO.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I've already had this argument in this thread, but wth.

The Jets opened up negotiations, holding out is a negotiation tool that he is using. Players have 1, maybe 2 chances to get their big deals and so they have to fight to get the best deal they can in negotiations.

I don't agree with what they're demanding but I can't complain about them negotiating.

7. kbgreen

I agree this guy has no sense of obligation to the team! or any feeling that he is signed so he should do the right thing and show for his job.

He will hold out every year if he is still considered the best CB or if he thinks the money to other CB has come anywhere close to his. Mevis is out for just Mevis and that is the only person he plays for on the field.

8. ........

........ Trolls

We'll see, but I certainly agree that Mangold will be locked up before Harris. I have no idea what's even possible until we get a new CBA. I'd imagine, though, that the FO might even keep one of the receivers before keeping Harris. Cromartie may be expendable if Wilson plays well quickly.

9. ........

........ Trolls

I hate to rehash the agents argument, but it's entirely unfair to place all the blame on his shoulders. His agents have a history of encouraging holdouts, and in my experience, most players simply follow the advice of their agents in contract issues. However, like I've said, once it drags on for a while, the player has to step up and take control of his own situation. I fault his whole team for the demands. I fault Revis for not being more proactive in settling the issue. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if he's perfectly satisfied with a new deal and ignores his agents if they start to grumble about getting more.

10. ........

........ Trolls

As I said on page 2 or 3 of this thread, when he comes back he'll need to be demonstrably committed to win back fans. I disagree with the notion that people will continue to harp on it and that the bad feelings won't go away any time soon. I presumed you were speaking about your own feelings, because I'm pretty convinced that people will be all over his nuts again as soon as he's back on the field.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

Harris isn't going anywhere. Part of the reason Tanny isn't caving is to make sure he can keep him.

12. kbgreen

Bullshit! The point about the jets opening up negociations is a good will gesture meant to show they value him. It is not saying please hold out and hurt this team.

Him holding out while under contract is a "fuck you". Yes it is a negociating tool but not one that a decent person should employ while under contract. He took the gesture of good faith and rubbed it into everyones face. Screw him and his contract.

I am starting to think the jets should hold his contract for the next three years and let him sit at home! Lets see if he has the leverage then. Mevis -Have fun in allaquipa that hell hole deserves you!

13. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

I sure hope you're right. We absolutely need to keep one of the two new receivers, though, or that position will be in dire shape.

14. kbgreen

It falls on him because he hired the agent!

15. WhiteShoeWillis

I think you're being too emotional about this to think about it rationally. I guess we'll just disagree.

16. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

I still find it silly to see fans, as well as many in the media, not recognize that regardless of whether Tanny approaches Revis first, Revis would still be holding out for a new contract.

Does anyone really believe Revis, under any circumstances, would have been willing to play for $1m this season? After the year he had and the agents he has polluting his ears? Honestly?

Tanny approached Revis first, IMO, to set things off on the right track right out of the gate. If you feel confident a player will demand a new contract come the offseason, and that player is the best player on your team, why not reach out a friendly hand and say, "hey, we're here for you and we want you here for life"? IMO, as I've said in previous posts, this was a very rare occasion where Tanny's genius backfired on him - and not because of the move he made (because the move smart), but because many in the media are so ignorant, they can't put two and two together and recognize why he made first contact.

#3416 dthomas53, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  17. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

As agree 100% with the bold, here.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

They would have a lot less leverage to hold out with 3 years left if Tanny didn't open up negotiations. Once that door was opened, they had to try and get the best deal they could.

And if you think Tanny opened the negotiations just to be a nice guy or "show good faith" I have a bridge to sell you.

19. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Mevi$?...... Really? Is there a point to that?

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think we'll have to keep one of the WRs but who at this point I have no idea which. Knowing the way Rex loves his CB's I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see Cro Mart back especially if Wilson struggles (which I don't see)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.