The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

I just got a text message from ESPN saying the Jets and Revis reach a truce and will work towards contract resolution. I don't know what that means, but it's good news. He must have watched Hard Knocks and wanted to be back, badly.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The really, really sad thing about this whole situation is that the public opinion war doesn't really mean anything. There's no way the Jets give Revis more than the offer they made to him as their last-ditch offer before camp began. They're not going above 10 yrs/$120 million, the only question is how much they're willing to guarantee in the signing bonus up front.

Woody would get absolutely crucified if he bent to the top end demand that Revis is making. The other NFL owners would treat him like an outcast for blessing Al Davis lunacy on the verge of a labor lockout in which they want to reduce overall player compensation significantly. The media would call him a fool for letting a player with 3 years left on his contract call the shots and break the bank like that. The fans would be in an uproar because it would shortly become clear that signing Revis had cost us other players we could not now afford. There's no upside here for Woody if he caves.

That makes it incumbent on Revis to either accept the good-faith offer the Jets have on the table, working the guaranteed money as much in his favor as he can or alternately to make himself tradeable by indicating exactly what his demands are in public so that other teams can decide whether he's worth that or not.

The current situation is a travesty being inflicted on the Jets and Woody Johnson despite the fact that they have been as generous with compensation for star level players as anybody in the NFL short of Dan Snyder. Revis has created an enormous headache for the team and for the rest of the NFL and eventually he's going to be the one paying the price, although the Jets and possibly the NFL will pay in nasty installments along with him.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

per Cimini's twitter

baby steps....but at least they're heading in the right direction.

4. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Nail on the head.

However, I disagree that public opinion means nothing. This "truce" would have never happened if that were the case, IMO.

5. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

6. ........

........ Trolls

It certainly means something for his endorsements, too, although Tiger didn't lose all of his after the text message fiasco.

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I don't expect the Jets to cave......they're not going to cripple the future of this team for one player....i think we can all agree on that.

We also can agree..that Revis deserves and will be paid.

The question remains.....where do the 2 sides meet in the middle? I think we'll find out before week 1, IMO.

I believe the truce called between the 2 sides is a positive step in the right direction.....

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There is no "truce". That is just a term they agreed to use so that neither side looks bad and they can get back to the problem at hand. I am sure they are warring as much as ever.

#3208 Don, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  9. thedoc53

thedoc53 New Member

That looks promising. I don't know why i always go to read the posts on these articles though. gets me angry every time with people from across the country saying rediculous stuff that makes no sense and you know they won't look back and you can't tell them they are wrong or a moron.

10. jcluttrell

jcluttrell New Member

Hopefully something good comes of this "truce"

11. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

True, actually. I'm now noticing Cimini conjured up this term all on his own. Very misleading, but it's Cimini, so I'd expect nothing different.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Since you posted this, I expect revis in camp by the next hard knocks episode.

13. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Agreed. Precursor to the parties making sure they reach something reasonable where both sides can walk away feeling like they got a win. Revis will be playing for us this season!!!!

14. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

Translation Revis' team doesn't like not getting the last word in

15. thedoc53

thedoc53 New Member

quick update for anyone who cares: Tiger is pissed and boning the course so far

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm going to call it a "truce".......out of spite now.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

hahaha...if only Don's karma was THAT potent. :rofl:

18. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this whole "truce" thing, but any positive news is fantastic news at this point.

19. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

There is no way Revis could have watched that show and not wanted to get it done. This latest announcement was the 1st step.

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

His karma would be the equivilant of Cro Mart's super sperm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.