The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Certainly not the benchmark until multiple other CBs get new contracts that can be related to that one. Right now the only proper way to describe it is an abberation. Pretty much how Tannenbaum described it.

2. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

SNY.tv - Salfino: Proposing a Revis solution

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100810&content_id=13261202&oid=36122&vkey=12

I'm not a great with contracts, so I don't know if this is realistic or website filler. Thoughts?

3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The Jets are NOT being cheap. I'm sick of people saying that. The Jets are trying to manage a salary cap. They are also trying to keep Revis' salary at a reasonable level. They know that if they give in to one, then others will come calling. It's bad business on the Jets part and the surest way to dismantle your team.

4. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I've totally avoided this thread so far, mostly cuz I'm on vacation but partly cuz I'm just friggin sick of it, but I gotta say Hard Knocks just blew up whatever public opinion Revis had left. Maybe Schwartz and crew were hoping Tanny and Woody would come off as the irrational ones. If so it blew up in their faces.
    I think this may actually be the trigger to get Revis to bend. The best thing that could happen next if this doesn't work would be to see KW lighting up Eli in the next episode. He'll at least get the rookie showcase spot.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

In his Revises head Aso contract IS the b/mark plain & simple & that is why there is such a gap between him & the NYJs. He has said over & over again for the last 6 months or so that he wants to be the HIGHEST paid CB in the league. I do not know naturally if our FO was thinking he was joking or not during this period but now as push comes to shove everybody is beginning to realize that he has made Aso contract his benchmark & that is all that matter as far as he is concerned

6. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Beningo's about to have a heart attack :rofl:

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I have a totally different opinion across the board. Revis' contract will have a very long, potentially very negative effect on this franchise.

With no new CBA in place, a new one might have a cap that would preclude signing any other high priced players for years to come should Revis get his 160 million.

If Revis gets such a ridiculous amount of cash, what would it take to then try and sign Mangold, Harris, Cromartie, Edwards and or Holmes?

I'm sure you have seen Billick's critisism of the Aso contract the Raiders cut. Every NFL owner has a stake in this contract. They all want to hold the line to make the Aso contract an aberation, not a new ceiling for salaries.

I have no doubt that other owners are encouraging the Jets to make a reasonable offer, and that isn't a 160 million dollar contract.

120 million for 10 years garaunteed would be an incredible contract. But Revis won't even talk about how much should be garaunteed until the Jets agree to near 16 mil a year. For that... Revis should rot in a gym for the next 3 years, and I'm a fan, and I care. So do a lot of other fans, unless they are named Joe Benningo.

8. emania55

emania55 Member

i completely agree

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This is key.

I highly doubt anyone thinks Revis doesn't deserve $160M in terms of his ability. The entire problem is, the team has other contracts to contend with, and critical players who deserve big paydays as well. If all of that money went to Revis it would be unavailable for Mangold, Harris, Holmes, and Edwards. It would also cripple us in future years as well.

It's not about being cheap. It's about being thrifty. There is a difference as big as the Grand Canyon is wide.

If there were no salary cap, Revis would already have his $160M and be in camp. He would be the Jets' version of Alex Rodriguez. But the Jets aren't the Yankees, and football isn't baseball. The Jets have to do what's best for the team, and handing Revis all that money is not in the best interests of the team.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm not at all saying Revis should get the 160m. I agree with you entirely about the negative consequences should the Jets cave to his demands.

I'm speaking more to the whole back and forth arguments about whether its the Jets being dicks or the Revis camp being douches about this... it shouldn't be an argument of good vs. evil like some want it to be.

The Jets are going to do what's best for them and Revis is going to do whats best for himself as well... at the end of the day if those two don't match then the Revis era may very well be over. I hope it doesn't come to that, and that Revis recognizes that his demands are ludicrous at this point.

11. LeonNYJ

I love how he calls himself Joe Beningo, but his name is really Joe Benigno

Ben-een-yo

12. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

As do I. $120m/10yrs is a monster deal. Yes, guarantees need to be discussed, but the total amount over that time is still huge. Revis rejecting this outright forces me to lose any/all sympathy for him in this mess.

Until he comes to terms with Nnamdi's deal being BS, he can sit out the season, IMO. The only reason these d-bag agents continue to try and pull this crap is because GMs keep giving in at some point. Tanny, set the new precedent - this s*** ends now.

13. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

This is where I disagree. Revis' ego is in the way here, along with an uncle and an agent that are giving him bad advice as to what is and isn't in HIS best interest. There is IMO a very real chance Revis will sit the entire year and perhaps longer. How much more will he want if he leaves (loses) 12 million off the top by sitting this year? How is that doing what is best for Revis?

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

After watching Hard Knocks, I have a bad feeling that this could drag out for a very long time.

15. LeonNYJ

Revis is a Grade A idiot if he sits the year. He'll be taking a huge risk with a lockout looming for next year. If he thinks a team will even pay him $12M after sitting out 2 years, he's insane.

16. JayJayWorrall

JayJayWorrall New Member

Revis will back down. He will look at the talent on the roster and realise that this year he has a shot to be part of something. He will get an obscene amount of money though thats a certainty

17. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

The real fear is him coming back and pulling a Brandon Marshall during practices (or worse), causing distractions. If a player wants a trade bad enough, they usually will go to any length the try and force it.

18. moosle

moosle New Member

Titans fan opinion

Being a Titans fan (don't kill me, by the way), I can say that it sucked going through this contract stuff with CJ this offseason too. While I understand both sides, you wish they would just honor their contracts and get in camp.

19. ........

........ Trolls

I will say, it was some brilliant yet subtle editing on the show last night. Tanny's two lines definitely drew a line in the sand (paraphrased):

"Our goal is to get Darrelle signed. We're not going to put anything on TV that doesn't help with that."

"Well, we've made a good faith effort. We can try again next year."

In the eyes of the vast majority of the fanbase, it's now firmly on Revis.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I see what your saying but you have to figure in his mind getting paid as much as possible today is the only thing that matters because he's one injury away from there never being a tomorrow just like Leon.

You might argue that the Jets could offer Revis something like $80 mil over 10 year with the entire contract guaranteed vs double that with a portion of it guaranteed but I'm sure the way Revis' agents feel is that the larger the contract the larger the guaranteed money that comes with it.

Gilbert never did anything after he got his pay day... what worries me is that Revis might have accepted this as a possibility, hence his willingness to forfeit the opportunities in front of him just to get that bonus... whether it be through the Jets or someone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.