The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The owners are asking for a 18% shrink. That was said about 2 weeks ago on Mike & Mike when the prez of the union was on the show & said that

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

They want to cut down on the revenue-sharing percentage with the players but the owners' own justification for it was to be able to pay higher salaries. It's bullshit to think that the players are not going to lose compensation but salaries and cap-related numbers should rise.

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/08/hard_knocks_episode_1_i_feel_l.html

Hard Knocks' Jets Episode 1: "I Feel Like A Failure"

Published: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 11:18 PM Updated: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 7:53 AM
    Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerMike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan painted a bleak picture of the contract impasse with Darrelle Revis in the first episode of "Hard Knocks."

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The now-infamous, Sopranos-esque Roscoe Diner meeting seemed to suck all the optimism out of the Jets on getting a deal done with Darrelle Revis.

That was abundantly apparent through the lens of HBO's Hard Knocks, which premiered tonight.

The cameras weren't allowed into last Friday's meeting between general manager Mike Tannenbaum, director of football administration Ari Nissim and Revis' agents, but they did capture Tannenbaum in the car ride back to camp in Cortland, N.Y.

"They haven’t said one thing that I agree with at all," Tannenbaum said to Nissim. "We’re so freaking far apart that I feel like a failure." "I wish I had another card to play here,” he added. “A one-year deal. A four-year deal. A 10-year deal. In good conscience, we can move on. Maybe go trade for a corner. In good conscience, why don’t we move on, and we’ll try again next year?”

The show did not follow the All-Pro cornerback, as it has done with previous holdouts, nor did it include his representatives (his agents have said they declined the chance for Revis or the Roscoe Diner meeting to be filmed). But the Jets' perspective -- albeit the one they chose to present on camera -- was painted as a bleak one as Revis' holdout for a new contract dragged through the first week of camp.

In a filmed lunch meeting with Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson, head coach Rex Ryan laid out his bold attitude his when it comes to his football team.

"We will not be bullied by anybody," Ryan said. "Nobody. Not in our DNA."

Tannenbaum was shown on the phone with one of Revis' agents, discussing that they would not put anything out in the media that would not help the cause of getting Revis signed. This was presumably before the messy back-and-forth of the last few days.

Ryan told the media last week Revis had still been included in discussions about the team's goals and plans, and that was captured in a team meeting after the player elected not to report.

"We don't have Revis in this building right now," Ryan said. "Does it matter that Revis is not here? (Gosh darn) he's pretty (freaking) good. But you know what guys, it's not about one guy. It's about leading the league in (freaking) defense."

Obviously, there was no shortage of expletives, the large majority originating from Ryan. Thank goodness it's HBO.

Other things we learned:

• Outside linebackers coach Jeff Weeks uses SPF 4 tanning oil at practice. And he takes heat for it.

• Tannenbaum is pretty darn proud of his trade for Santonio Holmes. "Who traded for him?" he said after a spectacular Holmes catch. "That guy's a smart S.O.B."

• Joe Namath is a stickler for proper hand placement when the quarterback receives the snap.

• Mark Sanchez thinks he has the best hands on the team. And ... he just might. His one-handed catches were slick.

• The coaches get fined for eating snacks (see: Ryan) and running shirtless (see: Weeks).

• A player getting cut is always, unconditionally terrible to watch. But director of pro personnel Brendan Prophett does it as well as it can be done.

• Ryan thinks his team is "better than you." Oh wait, we knew that.

4. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

I have that same feeling.

I think its because we now know there only 40 millioin apart.

and because the jets are willing to give him a big signing bonus, and or guaranteed $.

my prediction, revis will be in camp within two to three weeks.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't understand that. So they want to reduce the total pool of money available for player salaries, but at the same time give out higher salaries? How does that make sense? I must be misunderstanding.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

only $40 million??

7. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I mean I wish Adam would of gave a legit answer, but they did a spot with Adam saying he really expects something to be done next week.

Usually Adam gives a little more info, but he's been pretty accurate the past few months..

lets hope.

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

How does that work?

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No he doesn't.

Not now.

The Jets would be justified (and heroic)in eating the selection, and forcing to either play out his deal or retire.

10. CatoTheElder

Revenue sharing wasn't part of salaries that counted against the cap. If I remember correctly, the revenue sharing would come in after the season once the profits from the fiscal year had been determined and dispersed.

That's the best I can figure it. Otherwise the owners are just talking complete nonsense that absolutely no one decided to call them on.

11. CatoTheElder

Bahahahaha. Oh man...oh...wow.

12. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

yes ONLY 40 million.

when your talking about 120, 160 million, 40 million becomes ONLY.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Since Adam no longer works for the owners network NFLN he no longer is privy to inside info & like everyone else is just speculating or better yet guessing as to what may occur

14. WhiteShoeWillis

Revenue sharing is money shared amongst owners. I didn't think that had anything to do with players. The percentage of revenue used for the salary cap was the number the owners want to reduce AFAIK.

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

That is a 25% difference, I would say that is more than just an "ONLY" difference.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

No, no it doesn't.

17. emania55

emania55 Member

no it doesn't that's 33%. that's the difference between highest in the NFL and highest in NFL history it could be the difference between resigning Holmes,Edwards,Cromartie or not

18. CatoTheElder

The players also get a cut of the total profits as part of the old CBA. That's the 18% that Champ mentioned in his post.

19. CatoTheElder

We're not resigning all three of those guys.

Do you really think that an extra $4 million/year is somehow going to allow the Jets to bring back all three of those guys along with Mangold and Harris?

Cromartie and Holmes were already marginal chances of being resigned when we got them with Cromartie's chances dropping after the Jets got Wilson in the first. We didn't spend a first round draft pick on a player with the intention of holding him at #3 on the depth chart.

Holmes and Edwards are mutually exclusive choices. They are both #1 WRs and they are both going to want to start after this season. Holmes is taking this role because he really doesn't have much of a choice after being traded away for a 5th round pick.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm pretty sure the cut that the players get is the cut that is available in the salary cap. The players get their salary, and that's it. They don't get an additional "revenue sharing" check. At least that was my understanding, I could be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.