The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

Take a look back to the first few pages. Like I said, most of these guys have so little clue about their own negotiations. At a point like this, however, Revis needs to take responsibility, stand up, and challenge what's going on. Otherwise, he deserves any criticism heaped on him. He can hold out. That's standard, and I didn't fault him for that. The absurd demands, however, and potential disaster are absurd.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

yeah....my point wasn't to discuss their different positions or their importance to their respective teams.....just that it's another deadlock being orchestrated by these same two clowns.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, but isn't he only a RFA because there is no CBA this year and he has to wait an extra year? I thought he did everything he was supposed to do under his rookie deal.

4. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

There IS a CBA, but this is the Final League Year. His players' union bears at least some responsibility for his situation. It's not ALL on the owners.

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

that's irrelevant to the discussion

I was just pointing out that the Chargers are being held hostage by the same agents...who happen to represent their #1 wideout.

6. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Yes, Jackson has a lot less to lose. There's a very good chance that Jackson is a free agent under any new CBA, so if he holds out the whole season he may very well be an unrestricted free agent in 2011 (or if there is a 2011 lockout, 2012). Plus he's suspended the first few games this year so in a sense he isn't even holding out yet. And if he reports in week 10 he's probably a free agent the next time football is played.

The Jets control Revis for a long time. The only question is whether it hurts the team so much to have a terrific asset not contributing on the field that you feel compelled to sign him or trade him for value.

7. Don

Ok, the agents are the same. Their position is totally different. If I signed and lived up to my contract I wouldn't want to be tendered either. If Revis played out his contract and comes back three years from now looking for the kind of deal he is now nobody would be as upset at him either. And it was the owners who canceled the CBA, not the union, wasn't it?

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Hour? I don't think so.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the circumstances are certainly different in both cases......but the 2 players are both holding their teams hostage with extended holdouts.......the correlation: Schwartz/Feinsod

that's all i was saying......

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets and the Chargers aren't being held hostage, Revis and Jackson are. Although Jackson will wind up as an RFA next year which is exactly what he would have been if he signed the tender so he really loses nothing here. If the new CBA goes back to 4 years for UFA then Jackson actually gains, because he'll be a UFA next year given that he has the 4 years experience at this point. Revis on the other hand is still staring at 3 years with the Jets if he holds out the whole season. So he has no golden ring waiting for him at the end of the season like Jackson might if the new CBA reverts to 4 years for UFA.

Note the difference between Jackson and Revis. Jackson is not under contract to the Chargers this season, they just retain his rights. Revis is under contract to the Jets.

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I can't believe that some of you actually believe that Revis and his agents would allow Rex and the players in the same room with them during contract negotiations.

This isn't about Revis and Tanny/Woody. Revis hired a sports agent to do the talking, and Woody hired Tanny to negotiate with him.

12. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

When Roddy White was holding out:

13. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

That's rather foolish of Tanny. If Revis is scheduled to make $32 mils in those two years, probably around $8-10 mils would be part of the signing bonuses. So it really makes it an 8 year deal for $138 mils (8 years @ $16 mil + $10 mil cap hit). That averages over $17 mils. Tanny would structure in such a way that we don't get a huge cap hit if we trade or release Revis in year 8 or 9.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Oh gosh, that's hard to believe. Personality conflict between Schwartz and Feinsod and a GM? Where would we ever find evidence to support that? Nothing like having the charge of lying bandied about at the drop of a hat to make somebody hate somebody else's guts.

15. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

My problem is... IS THIS REALLY A BENEFIT TO HIS CLIENT.......

Look at me, I HATE Darrelle Revis right now. I can't look at the man's picture. He could be the best CB in the league for the Jets the next 12 years and I'll never get to the point where I look up to him and he's my favorite player. NEVER !!!!#^#*%*%@@%%!@1111

The damage he is doing to the chances of this team for the season are ireversable.. The WR"s should be learning and going against the best, the younger cb's should be feeding off Darrelle.. the TEAM should be bonding, the defense should be bonding..

Honestly, I'm sick, and I puke a little in my mouth when I think about it... I'm really not that excited to even watch Hardknocks with everything revolving around &*$&@$# Revis.

What this agent is doing is the best for the Agent.... He can't back down or else the next guy he goes to sign holds it against him.....

Then again, If I'm a young player I sign with an agent that gets deals done without hold outs and keeps my reputation Pristine.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

yeah...i see the difference....thanks, Br4d.

like i said....i was just merely pointing out the correlation of the two holdouts...in regards to the agent/FO negotiation relationship.

Actually, Steve032 just pointed out another correlation in regards to Roddy White's holdout .......seems like these guys have personality conflicts with everyone they try to negotiate with.

17. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

98% agreement. One caveat. Johnson is a billionaire dealmaker who probably would feel comfortable stepping in to the negotiations if necessary at some point. If I were Revis I wouldn't feel comfortable doing any negotiations or meetings by myself because I'm a pro athlete with very limited experience.

18. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Just Glad someone Finally said this...

19. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

If he signed tomorrow you'd forget about it in a week.

20. Don

Well, I think it is ALL on the owners and you will start to see that too when there is no NFL next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.