The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets should have Ryan's mouth duct-taped at this point. There's nothing that he can do in public about the situation that is positive. If he can talk to Revis in private and get him in that's one thing, although that also raises the prospect of cracks appearing in the management structure.

The Jets should be talking with one mouth on this thing at the moment and that mouth should be Mike Tannenbaum's, unless Woody wants to take over the negotiations in which case Tannenbaum should be gagged also.

2. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

What did he say?

3. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Yeah, there's Only 1 TEAM for Revis....

I've lost a ton of respect for the man...... I think Neil Swchartz is adouche and he played the same BS with Pete Kendall... He Bullshits and then plays it off on Florio's site and the rest of the media as spin...

How the Hell does Neil Schwartz quote of the jets Lying make the back page of the Post????

Guy is a huge money grubbing douche.

4. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

I'd have to hear the comment live before agreeing with this. But I feel what you're saying.

5. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

6. Br4d

Schwartz only has one goal and responsibility in this process: to get Revis the most money he possibly can. You can make an argument that he should play by gentleman's rules in the process but that's just an argument. The facts seem to support the notion that Schwartz uses every means available, including lying (by inference if not directly), to benefit his client. So far in dealing with the Jets none of his clients have reached a satisfactory outcome for both the player and the team. I don't expect that to change in this negotiation. Either the Jets cave or Revis is damaged by a long holdout and hopefully (for both parties) a trade thereafter. The alternative is a nasty really long holdout that puts Revis career at risk.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If you're only concerned with one thing, the other thing shouldn't matter - especially when the other thing being offered is very fair. They can sit on the bonus/guarantee part as long as they want but they have to get to that negotiation first.

Revis wants 50 cents more than Aso per year.

8. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Revis = selfish and greedy.

Woody = full of it.

Tannenbaum = shady.

Case closed.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Hi, You must be new to the internetz

:)

10. Br4d

We should all look on the bright side. The words Vernon Gholston and Bust have not showed up in the media once this training camp. So Revis holdout is having one very good effect. :)

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

With the obvious disclaimer that we're of course better with Revis, Rex has the whole camp to figure out what to do without him. He's quoted in the Post today talking about years he had to play without Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and made it work. Last year we lost Kris Jenkins in October and made the run the rest of the way without him.

In a game where anyone can go down on any play, your coaches need to adapt and your team needs depth, I have confidence in both with Rex and the CBs we've brought in. This situation isn't great but it's a lot better from a coaching standpoint than a happy Revis being in camp and then getting hurt in Week 1.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

RichCimini‎: Rex Ryan, commenting on "blatant liar" quote from Darrelle Revis' agents, calls it a "blatant joke." #Jets
    Twitter - 2 minutes ago

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Yikes, Rex is just laying it all out there.

14. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I don't know if Revis really wants 50 cents more than Aso. They say that but it might be a bargaining position.

Trust me, even if you don't really care about total comp you get smoked if you sit down to the negotiating table having acquiesced to a big demand from the other side. Now if you traded off something like 10 years/120 million total comp for 50% of the money in the first five years of the deal or something, sure, but if you let the other side set the parameters you'll lose out.

15. MaddJettFann

MaddJettFann Banned

What happens if they give Revis the money he wants and then Sanchez says "Hey Im the first round pick starting QB and a cornerback is making more than me ? No way I want more money now " Sanchez is definitely more important to the team than Revis. Give Revis more money, but not the crazy numbers he wants, or let him sit out the season, We are going to the championship with or without him !

16. WhiteShoeWillis

I don't claim to know anything about negotiating an NFL contract but I am 100% sure that Tanny is. I think it's reasonable to assume that he negotiates this way with other agents, probably all the time.

10 years/120 million is plenty fair for total compensation.

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Any chance the whole team can implode before the first game? This is still the Jets.

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Conventional wisdom would agree with you, however in this case I think that Ryan is serving an excellent role here: he is speaking directly to Revis: come on in and talk about it w/us. we are your team. cut the bullshit and get your ass over here with us and lets go win this thing.

I think Revis needs to hear that message from Rex. Also its great use of the media to influence the fans to further see that neil schwartz is a douchbag who is not helping Revis and who is hurting the Jets. I think Rex is right on target here, and this may well resonate with Revis in a way that helps move this into a closure mode.

19. Br4d

It would take the team leaders collapsing in order to create an implosion. That means Mark Sanchez, Bart Scott, Kris Jenkins, Nick Mangold, etc. Those guys would have to begin fighting or fighting management for the locker room to turn. What do you think the odds are?

In terms of injuries it would just take a Sanchez injury or maybe Mangold.

20. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Agreed - if you look at the website one of the articles trash talking about how the Jets shouldn't be worried about Terrell Owens and that Revis could cover him blah, blah, blah (I can't fine the link now) it's something you'd expect in a forum on the net, not something you'd expect to see on a professional agent website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.