The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am coming around to the opinion that it is more likely than not that Revis doesn't play for the Jets this year, which in turn means I for one will not pay much more attention to the rumors and such, until we hear otherwise, meaning he's back with the team.

But ftr from what we DO hear it sounds like both sides suck ass.

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

At least if they could agree on total compensation there would be hope. At this point, they aren't even close. If the signing bonus & guaranteed money was the only issue, we'd be getting somewhere.

3. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

From what I've read this morning, isn't the 10 years/160 million number something that the Daily News is assuming?? I'm not saying that can't be the case, because it certainly could be and does make sense.
    This really has spiraled out of control. Did it not occur to him and his camp what this holdout could do to...a) his value--money wise--based on what he's demanding. b) his standing with the fans of the Jets and the league as a whole. c) his overall play.
    Money is one thing but respect is a whole 'nother animal and the boat is sailing pretty quick in that case. Maybe Uncle Sean can remind Revis what happened aftewr his own year-long hold out. Except for the bloated contract, of course...

The lesson in all this for me is, I gotta stop buying/asking for jerseys. lol.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If they agree on total compensation wouldn't that essentially be an "agreement in principle" and probably enough to end the holdout

5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

As said earlier in the thread.

It's been stated that they are $40M apart.

It's been stated that the Jets have offered 10 years @ 120 Million.

120 + 40 = 160.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If you read the details in article it really sounds like the 10/160 is exactly right.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Total compensation is meaningless anyway. Whether it's 120 or 160 he will never see anywhere near that so I don't know why both sides are so stuck on it. He will be cut in three years or forced to renegotiate by then anyway. So really it's the guarantee and I don't know why they don't just decide to focus on that now instead of later.

8. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm not saying that can't be the case, because it certainly could be and does make sense.

From my OP about this. That really wasn't the main point of my post, though. I haven't seen one ACTUAL quote about that 10/160 offer, just a NYDN assumption. Like I said, it probably is true, though.

9. emania55

emania55 Member

I'm coming to the opposite opinion after reading this article i think revis is just holding out as long as he can to try and get the jets to raise there offer. i doubt they will and so eventually revis will sign he can't seriously believe he can get 160 mill

10. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

This was more my point....
    This really has spiraled out of control. Did it not occur to him and his camp what this holdout could do to...a) his value--money wise--based on what he's demanding. b) his standing with the fans of the Jets and the league as a whole. c) his overall play.
    Money is one thing but respect is a whole 'nother animal and the boat is sailing pretty quick in that case. Maybe Uncle Sean can remind Revis what happened aftewr his own year-long hold out. Except for the bloated contract, of course...

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

An agreement in principle would mean they have come to an agreement on all major parts of the contract. I don't think just coming to an agreement on total compensation would be enough to do that since guaranteed money seems to be a major sticking point.

All just my opinion though.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

I would say it's much more than an assumption. It's putting together the known facts to come to a logical conclusion.

x - jets total compensation offer
    y - dollars apart in total compensation
    z - team revis total compensation demand

x=120
    y=40

x+y = z

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Ok, I acknowledged that probably is the case.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Why do Revis' agents seem like retards?

Are they looking for a 10 year 100% guaranteed deal??

15. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but the Raiders deal with Aso was really not all that bad. They overpaid, no doubt-- but honestly, they overpaid for Aso's prime years. If he tears a knee up, or stops playing at such a high level, the signing is not going to cripple the team for the next decade. They paid to have the security of a short term deal so that when Aso hits 30, they don't have an overpaid has-been on their roster for 4 more seasons.

Think about our deals with Vinny, Wayne, Marvin Jones and Moe Lewis. Paying out these long term, big money deals for underperforming, aging vets. Those deals screwed our cap for 4 seasons. I would honestly feel better if the Jets gave him 4 years, $16 Million per, than 10 years at $12 million per. We've seen too many great Jets players turn into bums taking up cap space. 10 years from now, well into his 30's, I'm sure Revis will be another cap hog bum that we have to deal with.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

That assumes the Jets will raise their offer by a material amount. AND that Revis will then agree to it.

I am thinking that having both happen is less likely than he sits the year.

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Well, I've been saying this before. I really don't think they care as much about total compensation as we're led to believe. They just want Revis to get his $30 million up front.

18. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

It seems like Revis wants a $150+ million contract with very little possibility of him not seeing every penny of it.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

But what we do know is that the Jets won't even negotiate the guaranteed part until the total compensation part is agreed on. So why not just agree to whatever figure that is (within reason) so you can begin negotiating what is important to you?

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Appears the Jets have set his value at 120 and Revis set his value at 160 and neither side is budging. It's awesome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.