The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Okay, so the trade was before the draft. Fair enough.

I don't think that gets it done. Had the injury to Leon never happened, yes, I think it would have worked out. After seeing how the club tossed Leon out afterward, everyone is looking at it as "I have to get whatever I can as soon as possible."

And I can guarantee his agent is whispering exactly that in his ear.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

He won't do a short term deal. If he gets injured next season, or if he isn't as dominant, he won't be able to negotiate for the guaranteed money that he wants.

3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Revis has shown he is not willing to bend for any type of middle ground. He has a contract in mind and he is refusing to budge.

4. DJphinfan

DJphinfan Member

That's not true, on my own board, Iam on the record saying he's the best all around corner ive ever seen...

Honestly I didn't know that what I was doing was considered trolling...I just read the comments that without him you all would still be better....I just went from there....my bad.

5. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I don't think Revis would settle for $10 mil this year. That's too close to the "average" amount the other top corners in the league are getting paid. I think Revis would do it for around 12 or 13 IF he had even more guaranteed money in future years on a long term contract. But there's no way he'd do 10 mil for this year.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Yes he would b/c those last 2 years plus this year would be guaranteed. That's the reason he's not playing is b/c he doesn't have a high guaranteed # right now. He felt their guaranteed offer for this year was low, I think they could negotiate but who knows?

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So I haven't seen one person in this thread make the obvious correlation between Revis and Haynesworth. There is no way in the world that the Jets would give Revis the 30 or 40 million up front that he wants. Because there is no CBA they can't guarantee future years or future payouts. All they can do is give him a huge signing bonus and they would be fools to do that. He has already sat out twice in three years and as soon as that check cleared he would most likely find a reason to do it again. That's his track record. He made it and he has to live with it.

8. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Agreed, and then they were able to trade his rights to the Panthers.

9. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

In the NFL it's all about guaranteed money now. This isn't the MLB where a club is obligated to honor the full terms of the contract. The yearly contract figures mean nothing in the NFL unless a player stays elite and healthy throughout the life of it. Aso got $30 million in guaranteed money, Haynesworth got $40 million, Revis is demanding somewhere in between.

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

If that would bring his guaranteed money figure up to $30 million, then yeah that would most likely be enough.

The problem is that the Jets don't want to get stuck giving him $30 million in guaranteed money just to be pulled into this same situation 2 years from now.

11. Don

He really got 45 million guaranteed. The first two years at 15 and the third at the higher of 16.5 or whatever the franchise tag amount is and that is what Revis wants too.

12. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Yeah but Mevi$ should realize he's under contract and that Aso was a free agent and was signed by a stupid team. That deal shouldn't have happened

13. kaboom

kaboom Member

The JETS need to belly up to the bar and pay Revis.

I am shelling out $40K for PSLs and this is absolutely no time for the JETS to be cheap with the best defensive talent in the league.

There is no way that the new CBA will roll back salaries. Only hockey works that way.

This is all about guaranteed money. Make him a 6 year offer with $35M of guaranteed money and make the offer public.

The man deserves to be paid. Get it done Woody

14. Don

Actually, that deal wasn't so bad. He had played out his contract (unlike Revis) and Oakland had already tagged him once for 15 mil. They were going to tag him again and again anyway. So all they really did was give him a contract that amounted to what the tags would cost them anyway for the first two years and make the third year a crap shoot.

Again, the difference is he played out his contract. When Revis does that he can start earning the same kind of money.

15. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Sorry I got confused. Didn't understand you meant one of the greatest Ds of all time. Agreed.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The difference is that the Aso contract was for only three (3) years! 3 years!! Revis wants a long term contract at those amounts. Sometimes a team will give a higher number for less years or a player will take less money for more years. Revis seems to want his cake and eat it too.

17. Don

Yes and only to cover the cost of tagging him for those three years.

18. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I agree with you that he did play out his contract and that definitely should have bearing on the Revis case. However, I believe you're wrong in saying that they had already tagged him at $15M. I don't think that was possible because there were no other CB's making close to that much, so a franchise tag on a CB wouldn't have been nearly that high. I believe the tag the was originally on Aso for 2008 was for $9.5M. Therefore, the deal was really bad.

19. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Its been said a few times that the Revis thing is going to make other players think we don't take care of our best players... blah blah blah.

Isn't holding out and not giving into Mevi$' outrageous expectations sending the opposite message; i.e. that we aren't going to be pushed around by greedy players and their greedy agents? That no one player is bigger than the team. etc? I kind of want them to make an example of Revis.

Also, I guess the Leon example didn't resonate enough. The jets will put a reasonable contract on the table and its take it or leave it. We don't negotiate with terrorists.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

They used the QB tag price for that deal because they're smart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.