The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

very entertaining thread lol

anyways, as other probably have mentioned, The Jets should offer up the Band aid short term solution (which by most accounts, they have), give him 5M-7M this year as opposed to the 1M he suposed to make.....that's a good faith move to negotiate in earnest later on........Revis's camp should be willing to accept that. Yes, he's outperformed his deal, and should get re negotiated, but the fact that they want the Jets to meet what was piss poor negotations of another team (Raiders) is stubborn/selfish.

And if Revis's Uncle is advising him, yeah, he got a good payday, but who the fuck remembers him for anything? Revis has the potential to get paid and be a SB champ, Hall of Famer etc.........it shouldn't be all about guaranteed money, very short sighted on his part.

2. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

great first post... two words... i think we can expect big things from you

3. HenneToMarshall

HenneToMarshall New Member

Big things indeed.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Wait. What?

I specifically said that we're a Super Bowl contender without Revis, but a Super Bowl elite defense with him. Meaning an "all-time great" defense.
    ------------------

Anyway, people who are saying things like "would you trade Mangold for Revis" are missing the point entirely. Mangold isn't going to come close to Revis' contract number. He may become the highest paid center in the sport, but he still won't make what Revis winds up with. Neither will Harris. Not even close.

The key thing is, they do need to be paid. Mangold is a critical piece of our offense, and those who think he's easily replaceable, simply because we replaced Mawae with him seem to quickly forget that we traded up to get Mangold. Great centers don't grow on trees any more than great corners.

Mangold and Harris won't get a deal before 2011. I know that. I just think it's sad that Revis has gotten all of the attention in contract talks (besides D'Brick who got lowballed and ate it) while loyal guys like Mangold and Harris have to wait (and will be probably be tagged for their troubles.)
    ------------

One more thing, Revis' people gave the Jets another offer over the weekend. The Jets disagree on total compensation. He's looking for a ludicrous number and he's looking for a lot of it to be guaranteed. The deal they offered was "fundamentally no different" than any other deal they've discussed so far.

Revis' camp has a package they're standing pat on. They want what they want and don't want to negotiate. The Jets won't fall into that trap.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Classic MBGreen.

As opposed to those of you who are more than happy to ballwash him for pages and pages as he sits out and breaches his contract to the detriment of his teammates and the organization.

Thank you for that riveting insight. I'm not sure this thread could have survived w/o that comment.

You seem to be deliriously out of touch w/reality. Revis is under contract. He is obligated to perform thereunder and he is refusing to do so. He is in breach of his own contract, which he held out for just 3 yrs ago. Only a Complete Idiot would state that his contract is moot. Far from it. His contract is fully in force and totally valid. If Revis wants to keep playing games the Jets can let him sit out and not get paid for the next 3 seasons - Moot??? LOL. Guess Again superstar.

Thanks for once again re-stating the patently obvious. Whats next, MBGreen reveals that the sun rises in the east? You don't have to know exactly what is going on to comment on what is happening, what the possible outcomes are and what the best case scenarios are for the Jets.

Nobody asked you for your opinion as to what your silly brain thinks is retarded or dumb. Nobody actually GAS. The fact is that Mevis is the only guy under contract in the NFL who is insisting on holding out for millions more and basically saying FU to his teammates and the fans. If you want to support this primma donna's breach of contract than that is your opinion. The rest of us are not required to follow you down that trail of stupidity.

6. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

We didn't trade up for Mangold... We traded up for Revis.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

One other thing, to those who think we should extend an olive branch and give him a nice fat check for one year, you need to realize that after Leon Washington's injury, there is exactly zero chance of him accepting that.

He's going to wait until he's got enough years on paper to assure he's set for the rest of his life. Hence the demand for a lot of guaranteed cash.

Leon's injury really hurt us. More than just simply losing him for the season/his career.

On that front, I don't blame the guy one bit.

8. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I love how now that Revis is holding out PhinPhans admit he's one of the best defensive players.

When he is on the active roster, 10 other CB's are better then him. lol

9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by TommyGreen
    If he sits out in 2010, his contract freezes, so he'll still have 3 years left on his contract.

From a logical perspective that must be the way sports contracts work. Otherwise, you'd have the real possibility of a bunch of players with one year left on their contracts just threaten to sit out a year (if they believe they are grossly underpaid and could command a huge salary if they were on the open market). Then they would be able to declare themselves free-agents and be able to sign with any team for any amount. That would be an ultra-huge bargaining position (even with the life expectancy of a football career) and provide the clubs no assurances against this happening.

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The Jets may not be as good without Revis, but while they're competing for a playoff spot, Revis will be hanging in his home with Geiger. No endorsement deals, no shot at DPOY, no shot at a ring, and most importantly NO CASH FLOW.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

are you one of those special kids that wears a bonnet, sits around a mini-table and has tea parties with stuffed animals?

EDIT: you're clearly living in a fantasy world....and you've proven on numerous occasions that you're incapable of being objective. It was reported that Tanny went to Revis and they agreed he OUTPERFORMED his current contract.....WHY THE FUCK WOULD HIS CURRENT CONTRACT BE RELEVANT IF BOTH SIDES AGREED TO TEAR IT UP AND RENEGOTIATE?!!

#2191 MBGreen, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and they use him getting 'beat' by Ginn as the measuring stick...

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I can't recall if you're correct, but I know he was the second pick in the first round for us, so we got that additional pick from somewhere.

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Sean Gilbert is a good example since we're using him. He was franchised, refused to play for what the Redskins were offering him, sat out the season, then was franchised again.

15. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

John Abraham

16. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Do you understand that the next two years (2011 and 2012) are buyback years for $5M and $15M? They are for $20M total. Not $20M each year.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

If we gave him say $10 mil this year and guauranyteed the last 2 years I think he'd be on the field tomorrow and we could worry about a long term extension another day. I'm not saying we shoukd give him $10 mil but I think the Jets offered around $3 mil, maybe they could meet around $6.5?

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I seriously doubt that. Revis is looking to cash on his accomplishments in such a way that he could retire the day after he receives his contract if he wants to. Whatever the deal is, he won't take anything less than a long term deal that sets him up to never have to play again after that contract is up.

19. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Exactly.... And All the fans who cheered and yelled PAY REVIS at minicamp are partly to blame...

Team Mevis went back and said "Seeeeeee The fans are with you HOLD OUT TILL THE END"

I cringed an how naive these fans were knowing they were feeding the fire...

20. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the second #1 came as part of the Abe trade. Atlanta was pretty much against giving us a #1 for Abe, I think Denver got involved and they gave us one of their number 1's. In a round-a-bout way we got a number 1 for Abe and drafted Mangold with that pick...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.