The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 624

624 Banned

Wow another day or two and this is going to pass the Brett Favre thread in post count.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5449302

didnt see this article posted. it appears as though woodrow and baum are spinning the situation as they have been known to do in the past. they are going to turn all the fans against him... move on with life without him and never look back.

or at least that is what they will have the fanbase think.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Revis' deal:
    That would only make sense if the Jets were more willing to work with Revis on his numbers but all we keep hearing from either side is "we have given a fair offer" and "the offer hasn't changed" with each side taking turns throwing out each line.

So that leaves us with either Revis' scumbag agent(s) accusing the Jets' management/ownership of giving his client the runaround or the Jets' scumbag owner accusing Revis' agent(s) of giving management the runaround. We'll probably disagree on this point but I typically choose to ignore the owners first as a principle and that's why I'm inclined to believe the Jets are less willing to work with Revis' camp than they with the Jets. Tannenbaum has the talent to move the money around from year-to-year so it's not like it would be impossible to accommodate Revis' demands. We also have seen a history of this happening with previous players.

Tannenbaum reportedly made similar promises like this to Baker and Kendall, only to have it turn into a shit-show. It was pretty easy to dismiss Baker and Kendall because they were either underperforming or way past their prime. However, this is the third time this accusation has come up and Tannenbaum has not once denied approaching Revis' team about reworking his deal and saying that he deserved more. I for one am willing to believe that where there is smoke coming from three different sources, there's probably a fire. So either Tannenbaum isn't learning from his mistakes or Woody isn't bothering to communicate important details and restrictions to his general manager.

All of this leading me to believe:

If management is unwilling to pay Revis' demands because they are outrageous and there is no clear sign of Revis budging, then why not move along and try and lock up a few more guys before the free-for-all of next season's FA period(assuming the lockout can be avoided) hits. Why wait until next season to lock up at least one more of those four guys before they have to make a decision on Cromartie, Edwards and Holmes next year? Especially when those contracts would seem to be a lot more affordable and flexible than what Revis is demanding?
    I'm willing to bet 90% of this board would strike their mothers in the throat to be a fly on that wall.

#1723 CatoTheElder, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. CatoTheElder

No, the 3 year/$30million was supposed to be a band-aid, leading to a longer extension. Those three years would have taken the place of the ones on the books, sort of like Chris Johnson's deal only with more money.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread

Johnson already wants another deal. Lol. At least that's what 1 reporter said on ESPN over the weekend.

6. CatoTheElder

Link? He always wanted a new deal after this season, this year's deal was just to appease him for one year until they can rework the contract under the rules of a new CBA.

7. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the Jets can't guarantee him his money yet unless they pay him a huge signing bonus, which is the same reason why they can't sign Mangold to a deal until next year.

I haven't read the 87 pages of this thread but I don't even understand why Revis is holding out to begin with. At this point he has absolutely no leverage at all. He has three years left on his contract, the Jets can't guarantee him his money yet, he threw away the $20 mil guarantee he already had in writing, and, oh yeah, the Jets signed Cromartie and Wilson in the offseason so there is depth behind him should he choose to sit.

He is a part of the best defense in the league.. he has the chance to basically establish himself as a legend, but he'd rather throw a wrench in it all to get a few more pennies upfront. I love the guy, but if he sits out, I would love see his team win the Lombardi while he sits watching from his couch, counting all the money he doesn't have.

#1727 GBA, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  8. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

One of my girl friends has a really good relationship with Ari ....im gonna need to chat with her tomorrow about this ..haha

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

The easiest to pay? I'm not even sure what that means. As far as what the appropriate negotiation priority is, I'm going to rely on Tannenbaum & Co. knowing a helluva lot more about that then you do.

This is an insane statement.

You are scared by your perception that the FO isn't running around in public trying to sign everybody in accordance with your timetable? :smile: Thats insane too.

10. CatoTheElder

Abdul, why are you up so late? Did you have a scary dream about a monster in your closet?

Just go back to your room and play with your blocks and mommy and daddy will be home soon to tuck you back in.

11. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

I also feel that them having less left on there existing contracts but they are still willing to show up and contribute to the team even though there demands are being totally ignored makes their situations easier than Revis'.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I find it more credible to believe that the agents involved in each of these situations, who happen to be the same guys, have a scorched earth negotiating tactic in which they try to de-legitimize the other side by claiming they've lied to them. That's what makes sense based on this situation given that no other players have claimed "promises" were made to them and not kept.

Leon was a different thing, the Jets and Keels just couldn't come to an agreement on his worth. He and Keels never stated that the Jets made promises to them about a certain contract size and then reneged. The two situations are apples and oranges.

I fully believe that Revis is concerned about getting hurt like Leon and losing his big payday. That's why he's not in camp and won't be any time in the near future. He has no incentive to come in and potentially get hurt for a million dollars. The problem is that unlike Leon he doesn't have even the prospect of being a free agent in a year or two (Leon was screwed by the CBA optout by the owners or he would have been a UFA this year) at this point. The Jets own his rights for 3 years. That means that in the end they're going to get their pound of flesh: either a reasonable trade to some place he can't come back and haunt them or having Revis play for them or just watching him sit idle while his best years go by.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Poor little Cato, lest you forget son, you're the one that decided to come on here pretending that you had a clue about contract negotiations and letting us all know about how scared you are. Not me. :rolleyes:

14. CatoTheElder

I've also never heard Tannenbaum deny these accusations.
    Which is why I never mentioned Leon in that post.
    You don't lose a player of Revis' calibre and not have it hurt you.

15. CatoTheElder

Because you know everything about HBO shooting schedules, right?

Just a bit of advice, those emoticons don't actually make your point seem any more relevant or inane. Go make out with your Kellen Clemens Fathead and leave the discussion to the others.

16. 624

624 Banned

...and people wanted us to trade for Asomugha.

Imagine having that contract on your team during this fiasco.

Impossible.

17. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Exactly. Revis has less leverage every day. He can decide what he wants to do - he can be set for life and be a Jet or he can spin the wheel and possibly not make a dime playing football for 3 yrs.

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Since you are obviously unnable to intelligently discuss the Revis holdout topic without getting "scared", its highly unlikely that at this point anybody here is looking to you for advice about much of anything and specifically, the notion that anybody is the least bit interested in your opinion about the use of emoticons is friggin' hilarious. :rofl:

19. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?columnist=oconnor_ian&id=5450529
    Ian O'Connor article brand spanking new on espn. Take the article for what it's worth, but a couple of graphs down, Revis' agent claims the Jets STILL haven't guaranteed a PENNY of the contract. If that's true, that should piss off every Jet fan who spends one cent (which I've spent PLENTY on) to go to the games and it's shocking that the owner says one thing (how important Revis is to this organization) and does another (not guarantee a cent). This is bullshit if it's true, and considering Schwartz is his source, I have to think he wouldn't outright lie to a writer who reaches this whole country in a matter of seconds.

20. CatoTheElder

Posted already but it bares repeating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.