The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Be careful. The Pay Revis a Jillion Dollars crowd considers that Blasphemy.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

That's the only card Revis is holding right now, which isn't exactly a hell of a lot to bring to the negotiation table. We just don't know how the defense will perform without him. If we begin the season 0-2 while giving up over 250 passing yards a game, then his position is strengthened. If we begin the season 1-1 or 2-0 while giving up only 200 passing yards average or below, then his position is severely weakened. It's a HUGE gamble for him, and I still don't think he's prepared to do that.

If he's hell bent on guarantees then he'd better accept the Jets next offer because there sure as hell isn't a guarantee that the Jets will be a disaster without him.

3. 2010LookinUP

2010LookinUP New Member

Revis is full of some other shit. Dude holds out FOR this contract his rookie year, and now he's holding out BECAUSE the contract HE WANTED is now not good enough.

Hey you don't have to tell me what he's making it too little for a guy of his talents. But dude got what he "wanted" 3 years ago!

So stupid.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets approached Revis to tear up his contract. So apparently they agree that his deal is not good enough anymore.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Deion Sanders played for more than one team for a reason. CBs aren't the end all be all for a defense, even the system Rex runs.

Even with that, I want a super bowl, and Revis can add to an already very strong team. I'd like to see him in camp for at least the last game of the preseason.

6. Hobbes3259

Everyone of sound mind agrees he's worth more than a million this year.

No one in their right mind thinks Crazy Al Davis should be setting the market price.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yes, and they have not done enough public penance for that fact. They should have said by now that they were looking to fix the deal for both sides and instead have run into a brick wall and will stop trying to fix it.

I have no doubt that the Jets were looking out for themselves #1 when they went to Revis. I'm not sure how anybody could be that blind about what would happen after that but we all have blind spots.

8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

This I disagree with. Obviously the Jets are much better off with him than they are without him but the defense is still gonna be one of the best in the league if he never shows up. Rex will have to change the scheme a bit because he isn't gonna be able to trust Cro or Wilson the way he did Revis last year but the defense is still loaded with talent without Revis.

Revis is great but unless we are talking about a quarterback I don't think it possible to say a team can't win it all without one particular player.

9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

It is not that the next 3 years at 21 million is not good enough, the Jets approached Revis to try and lock him up for the next 6 or 7 years.

If that cannot be reached 7 mil per year is still a fair deal. Is it under value for what Revis is worth after last season sure, but it is no way grossly underpaid.

10. Hobbes3259

Yup.

At some point, Revis, Ty Law, and Sean Gilbert and the Agents need ot be reminded that Revis is NOT a UFA.

He owes the NYJ one year at One Million. And if the Organization wants to pay every other player on the team and retain his rights they won't lose a single player in the lockerroom except Revis.

Revis can be held for One Million dollars for 16 Games, the Risk of injury and then the Franchise Tag.

Answer this...What's Revis' bargaining position, if Sanchez (God Forbid) blows out his knee tomorrow ?

Sanchez Blows out his knee, Revis will have the NFLPA suing the Jets to let him into Cortland on his current deal.

11. Br4d

We have no way of knowing what Cromartie would produce if had a high level of pressured throws come his way next season while matched up 1 on 1 with #1 receivers. He could be better in the Ryan defense than Revis. He could be better in the Ryan defense while allowing 10 more completions. He'd just have to pick off about 3 more passes to do that. In fact, if Cromartie turned out to be an interception machine in this defense, like he was in SD's man-to-man three years ago, he'd probably have QB's stop flipping the ball his way, a feat Revis never managed to pull off last year despite having a great season.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You did not put C on that list. I think center is a top five position. The Jets need to make sure Mangold is taken care of. The "quarterback" of the line is the center. Look at the Eagles last year. When their center went down, they went down.
    You did put NT and LDT third and fourth, respectively. It stands to reason that the player(s) who have to block NTs and LDTs are very important.

This was only an aside. You probably would have listed C next anyway. I'd probably rank the positions like this: QB, DT/NT/UT, DE, C, LT.

As for cornerbacks, maybe the position is overrated by the average fan and analyst. Then again, maybe not. Most Super Bowl champions had quality cornerback play. Teams can win Super Bowls with ho-hum running backs and linebackers and wide receivers, but it's difficult to win a Super Bowl with suspect cornerbacks.

#1552 Cakes, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

No way an LT is that low. Want to value positions look @ how they are drafted. Qb's and Lt's that protect their blindside are an order of magnitude more valuable than a Center.

14. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

How about this: Revis sits out all of camp and the season; The earth still spins, the sun still rises, and the NFL goes on without him.....For him to disrupt what would be an otherwise great season with endless possibilities... is to say the least. I have great confidence that rex will adapt, adjust, and create more extravagant schemes for the team that will not rest on the almighty Revis' shoulders. C'mon guys, we are way to close to the season to let a Prima Donna hold us hostage, and while I would love to have him on the field, I say you stck to the "team play" schemes, and fortify and accentuate the strengths of the team.....How many of ya thought we were doomed when Jenkins and Washington went down....huh? I say go forth, fuck 'em if he doesn't want to be a part of what could be the year we win the super bowl.....all his negotiations will be for naught then......

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is a great point.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I thought that way a couple years ago.

17. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

I was hoping this deal would be done today. Why are they waiting it out so long?!

18. Br4d

You can make an argument for Center in the top 5. I'd put it a bit lower than that but not a lot.

This is my entire point. It's not star power that matters at cornerback as much as not having suckitude there. The teams that have won Super Bowls recently have had good corners, not great ones. This makes sense given that they have also had great QB's and those guys are really expensive. Can't afford a superstar corner if you're trying to pay Peyton Manning.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

yes, that is what is occurring, they are just waiting it out, not being proactive, having meetings and negotiating, and just not reaching an agreement.

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

They're not "Waiting it out". They're negotiating. High level negotiations are never easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.