The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I think they would love to make sure Revis never plays for another team but they other considerations:

1) He's under contract for 3 more years.
    2) The uncapped year has many rules that prevent you from restructuring your own players. With Revis the issue is the reallocation rule.
    3) If the Jets give him a $30 million bonus now in two years his agent will be crying that Revis only makes $4 million a year and we will be back to a holdout.
    4) If the Jets want to guarantee him either roster bonuses or salary in the future they can only guarantee that money for skill or injury. Like Brick, Revis would have to take out some type of expensive insurance. This is not the Jets fault, this was agreed upon by the players association. Revis and all the other guys that are in line for that 2nd big contract should all complain to the union for agreeing to the uncapped year.
    5) If the Jets give Revis some sort of large signing bonus, what happens when they have a new cba and that money kills the jets salary cap?
    6) Harris, Mangold, Braylon, Santonio and Cromatie can all be free agents after one more season. We do want to sign at a minimum 3 of these guys but probably 4. If the Jets tie up a large quantity of their future salary cap with Revis it's only going to be more difficult to keep these guys.

My biggest issue with the holdout is that Revis was not a 4th round pick that made a million dollars over the first 3 seasons in the NFL and he's worried that if he gets hurt this year that he will never make big money (Leon Washington). Revis original contract was for $36 million for 6 years. It's not like if he played out the contract that he would be poor. That's what bothers me about him holding out. Even if he blows his knee tomorrow, he would still never have to work.

The Jets should offer him the choice of two things:
    1) They increase his salary this season a few million so he doesn't have to play a season with a total salary of $1,000,000. After the new CBA is in place they give him a new long term extension.
    2) Similar to Andre Johnson, he keeps his current contract and after the third year he gets a two year extension with a $10 million signing bonus for skill or injury and $10 million per season. That would mean that for 2012-2014 his total compensation would be $45 million. If the new CBA gives the Jets more flexibility they can rip up that contract and give him a new contract with bonus money and higher salaries.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's one of the main points that only someone dishonest refuses to acknowledge. Revis could have had the final two years guaranteed absolutely. just because he was playing this season for only $1 million doesn't mean that was all he would get if he got injured. he would have seen every dime of his original contract. every single one. all he had to do was show up.

3. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

i thought the jets had the option of buying those years back... if he got hurt badly that probably wouldnt have happened

4. 624

624 Banned

“Kris Jenkins just said he was texting Revis yesterday and Revis told him he thinks he’ll be back soon. Per 1050 ESPN. For what its worth.”

Saw that quote online.

5. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

The actual problem with this hold out is that he misses all the off season training , being able to bond with the new players and makes himself look bad when others similar to him who deserve big contracts like Mangold and David Harris are working with the team shunning there contract demands.

Revis has to watch out because many of us know that when a player holds out and misses every important thing in an off season he is very viable to injury because of poor conditioning or lack of new schemes with the added defensive players.

I personally love Revis as a Jet but this look as a star who wants a contract no matter what the circumstance won't help the Jets newly reved superbowl hopes.

6. ........

........ Trolls

I'm curious, because I haven't seen it, where it has been stated that the Jets have already exercised their buyback option. I was under the impression that they were supposed to do so AFTER this season, in which case that $20 million would not yet be guaranteed.

EDIT: I'm fairly certain of this, actually. The Jets can't buy back the final two years until he voids the final two years of the contract. Since he can't void the final two years until after this season, I can't see how the money could be guaranteed as of right now. He likely just triggered a clause that removes the guarantees on the buyback altogether. I'd assume that in that case, he has to meet certain performance incentives in order to receive the full amount.

#1126 ........, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter when it is or isn't bought back, the guarantee part is out of play now that he missed time.

8. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

serious???/ where? also giegergeiger said he will be back on twitter soon so that is a good sign.

9. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

He's not coming back without some sort of new deal so it's Tanny's move.

10. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

The only way the Jets weren't buying the rest of that contract is if he had a career ending injury.

11. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

from what little interviews I've seen in the past, and from what everyone else says about him, Darrelle Revis really seems like a good guy and a great teammate. Of course, everyone wants to get paid. But to what length does each individual go to?

One thing I think can be said with some certainty is that missing camp, missing your team, missing Hard Knocks, all of this is tearing Revis apart inside.He desperately wants to be with the team.

12. ........

........ Trolls

I know it's out of play now. It matters because of this, the statement after which I posed the question:

JetBlue has stated a few times that Revis was guaranteed the $20 million as of right now. As in, he could have shown up for training camp this year and been guaranteed the full contract. I can't see how that's true since the Jets have the option of denying the buyback on his contract should Revis void the final two years.

If he had been injured this season, it was my impression that the Jets were under no obligation for those final 2 years. The clause doesn't trigger until the next postseason.

13. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

There is no way the last two years didn't get bought back unless Revis suffered a career ending injury.

14. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

joe namath

dunno if anybody posted that quote.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Well aware, thank you. My whole point had to do with his guarantee status if he WAS injured this season. In other words, posts like this:

I'm genuinely curious since I was under a different impression. Could someone with relevant information share it?

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Correct. That money wasn't going to be guaranteed until the Jets bought back the final 2 years. But He has already made a lot of money so it's not like he's going to be poor and on the streets if he blows out his knee.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I was under the same impression. What JetBlue is saying flies in the face of everything that has been reported about his contract. I read in a couple of places that Revis was able to opt out of his rookie deal at the end of league year 2010, and at that point the Jets could buy those years back for guaranteed cash.

#1137 abyzmul, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  18. JetBlue

I'm saying it under the guise that Revis could have easily had those years guaranteed with the simple request while negotiating a new deal and playing. what do you think the odds were the Jets would have refused to do so and get the best defensive player in football for a mere $7 million per year? probably not very likely, so it isn't as if it is some far fetched notion to base an argument on. if he stepped on the field this year without doing so it would have been on him, but the Jets would have never made him play for $1 million and no other guarantees if he brought it up.

19. JetBlue

no it doesn't, because I've stated several times the context in which I am speaking of it. Revis was never going to play this season for only $1 million guaranteed, but could have played this season for $21 million guaranteed under the very same contract if he chose to.

the idea that he would risk injury for only $1 million dollars is as speculative as my guaranteeing the money for the sake of argument because neither happened. but which seems the more logical scenario in which he would have played this season under the salary of his current contract? the $21 million is. the constant assertion of risking injury for only $1 million is far more ridiculous an assumption.

20. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Im not sure. You'd have to see the exact language of the contract to see if they could guarantee the buy back years now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.