Joe McKnight Fails Conditioning Test (UPDATED 8/1: He passed it)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scoffaveli3, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The broken leg was one of those freaky things, could have happened to anyone in a pile. Leon was never in and out with injuries like a Santana Moss or one of those guys.

2. ........

........ Trolls

Sure, but not as typically as you're trying to make it sound. From 2007 - 09, when he served as Jones' backup, 5 of his 11 rushing and receiving TDs came in the first half of games. The yardage on those 5? 60 yd, 18 yd, 7 yd, 47 yd, 18 yd. Only one from inside of 10 yards.

You're both just going in circles at this point. Probably time to move on.

He's never been the best pure runner in the league, he was possibly underused, but we never got a chance to see if he could handle an increased load without diminishing his production.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

TheJetsStream

nothing more to see here.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...because Leon Washington can't carry a team.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That's great news.

Move along, darksiders.

6. ........

........ Trolls

I would tend to agree, but it's still based on assumption. We very well may see what happens when he's given an increased load if that Seattle backfield situation remains the same going into the season.

We know Pete Carroll loves rotations, but if Leon is healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him exceed his carries from any given Jets season. I don't think he's a 200+ carry back, but we never got to know. After his rookie 150 carry season, he was in the 70s for the rest of his time here. I'd imagine our CS knew something about his ability to carry the load, but again...he did well that first season.

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

He was just starting to get the bulk of the carries in the playoff game at NE his rookie year and doing well when the Jets turned the ball over, the game got out of reach and that was it for the running game that day. Then they got Thomas Jones and Leon was never the #1 back. There have been smaller guys who have been successful #1 backs, not a whole lot but it's been done. After the injury who knows? With Greene and now LT here he would have had the same role, I honestly have no idea what's going on in Seattle but I wish him the best.

8. ........

........ Trolls

He's competing for carries now with Julius Jones, Justin Forsett, and Quinton Ganther (may be forgetting someone). It's hardly a stretch to think if he's healthy, he's a limited lead back in that group.

9. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

Thank god. I was hoping there wasnt an underlying problem he had, which let him fall to the fourth, that our guys didnt see. Can't wait for Hard Knocks so I can start making my own opinions of players rather than reading tweets and other shit.

10. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Assumption? He was given a shot as the number two and couldn't hold up. The guy cannot carry a team. That's the plain truth he's not solid enough to handle it. Not unless he's in Philly in 2004.
    If Seattle thinks that giving him more handoffs is going to lead to resurgence, they will be in for a rude aweking. He's at his best when he is catching the ball. That's how they should get it to them.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Wait a second, Cato. We're talking about the best pure runner in the NFL here.

If Seattle's coaching staff actually gives him a chance, he'll SHATTER Chris Johnson's 2009 stats.

12. ........

........ Trolls

Yes, assumption. He was given solid carries in 5/6 games last season prior to his injury and averaged 4.6 YPC. That's our sample set for Leon Washington getting used in a small role as a rotational back. I'm sure not going to say that a broken leg is the definitive sign of too many carries and not being able to hold up rather than just a freak injury. I'm assuming he's not lead back material, just like you are. Seattle would be a terrible place to find that out, but I don't think Seattle is looking for a single lead back anyway. I'm guessing if Leon's healthy he averages 12 - 15 carries a game for them, and that he's a decent back with game breaking potential. Any more than that and I assume he loses explosiveness and wears down.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Exactly. I don't know how the injury will affect him, but a broken leg isn't a sign of wear and tear, just the sign of a big hit. Leon wasn't' touching the ball that much more last year, it was more of a freak thing.

Washington could have definitely been a complementary back. I don't think a broken leg proves that he couldn't. Any back can get that if they're hit the wrong way.

Leon's like Jamaal Charles or Jerome Harrison or Jerious Norwood or other change of pace backs like that. Given 25 carries a game, they'd probably put up big numbers while healthy, but they'd probably wear down.

I don't think Leon is a 200 carry back, at least not anymore. But I think he could have handled it. Probably not too much more, or he'd begin to lose effectiveness. But he was always effective as a Jet, and he never got the chance to have a lead role, so yes, it is an assumption he couldn't handle more of a workload.

It was a freak injury.

14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I think you're limiting him with this "in the NFL" nonsense. Clearly he's the best pure runner. Usain Bolt could learn a lot. You're not a runner unless you have a football in your hands.