The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't think that date means anything to him, he knows he's not going to be a FA anytime soon anyway so he'd either get his longterm deal here or in a trade w/ another team so I don't think that date will bring him back.

3. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I would give him an ultimatum on when the deal does get done. There are others too that need addressing and if he can't come to the table and talk (at least) then MT and Co move onto the next contracts.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I guess Tanny and Woody seriously miscalculated what Revis would ask for when they approached him about a new contract. It's hard for me to believe that they were that unprepared for the contract negotiations being that they've already had trouble with Revis and his agents before.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

For reference. Here's an article about Revis' agreement in 2007 after holding out for 2 weeks of Training Camp:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2976504

7. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Having gone through this already with Schwartz on numerous occasions it falls back on Tanny for being naive, unprepared, or just indifferent. Revis deserves more money but Tanny should have better laid the ground work at the beginning when he proposed ripping up the new contract.

Then again maybe he did and Revis is just being a douche with his gimme, gimme, gimme.

Pay Mangold and Harris, worry about Revis later.

8. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

His hands are tied right now in this current season as to how much he can really offer. Guarantees are tough right now, and a 30 million dollar signing bonus is not likely. (I'm just throwing a number out)

Revis seems to be dead-set on earning more per year then Aso, so let give him a 2 year deal at 15.5 per and see if he's still the best in 2 years. If not then we can pay him much less according to Revis' logic.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Good point. But that did seem to be a bit of a big deal in the Revis camp a couple of weeks ago though.

10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

That and why the fuck would the Jets want to give him 25 million bucks when they have him signed for cheap. No salary cap restriction means you can pay what you think is reasonable for any player you want - not give away all your profits because of one whining baby

Agree he should honor it, but the Jets did screw themselves when they told him they'd make him the highest paid at his position. I don't see how this thing is getting resolved. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sit out for 5 weeks, and then if the Jets are doing well he's fucked for the whole season, or if they're not doing well then beg him to come back at his price

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Plus, if Woody is limiting the amount of signing bonus to give to Revis, there's no way he's paying him $25 Million for one season either.

12. I price,negotiate and settle Injury claims for a living, and most of the time the given plaintiff works through an attorney. I realize that athletic contracts and your average neck and back accident case have a lot of differences but I was disappointed to hear of Revis's side rejecting the face to face meeting.

This is a very effective tool for both sides when negotiations and values are at an impasse. It allows both sides to basically lay out all their issues in a more intense yet intimate setting.There's no phone,fax machine or email to hide behind.Everything is at the forefront.It allows the client to speak for them self on the issue and hear from the defense's perspective what their concerns are within the given scenario. These meetings never go the same way twice. You get alot of personalities, agendas, and emotions all at the forefront. It isn't always pretty. But 99.9% of the time it gets the case's ultimate direction concrete. Most of the time this settles the case and if it doesn't, it's obvious to both sides that either more information is needed from outside sources or that litigation is the best course of action.

I'm a big advocate of this process and it sounds like Tanny is too. Unfortunately some attornies(and this case agents) see it differently. They either are with-holding information from their client that they know will be mentioned face to face, don't think the client will present well, or want the case to drag so that they get what they want via nuisance. Don't underestimate Tanny offering this exercise or Revis' side rejecting it. Revis' side knows the only leverage they have is their silence. They don't care at this point about anything except their bottom line and that they think the jets will severely suffer w/o Revis at TC. That strategy can backfire...and I think it's disappointing.

13. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

I agree, time for Rex to ask Revis out for a beer and a couple of steaks.

Did i do that backwards...no thats right.

#313 Chrebet86, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  14. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I have the perfect solution, pay the man in PSLs. The Jets have an infinite supply!

15. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

It really is, too. They should have just kept their mouths shut on that. He held out of a 6th year on his deal, and has a $20 mil guarantee for the last 2 years of the contract he held out for in 2007. But they went and told him they'd do it, so now they have to. And it needs to get done now.

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I could be remembering this wrong, but didn't Revis want his rookie deal to be 4 years and it was Tannenbaum that wanted it to be 6?

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I posted a link to an article about the deal in 2007. Revis wanted 5 years, and Tanny wanted 6 years.

18. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Ultimatum's are never helpful and generate a good deal of bad will. In negotiations where you hope to have a long term relationship with someone, blatant ultimatums should almost never be used.

That doesn't mean Tanny shouldn't say something along the lines of "Darrelle - I just don't think we're making progress here at this time and I'm going to focus on a few other people's contracts for a little while."

At the end of the day, Revis is following a good contract or bust strategy. From what I read Revis can't void the last two years of his deal if he doesn't hit certain performance thresholds this year. Revis will need to have a face saving way out of where his agent has put him in order to get out of this situation. This suggests that, at the end of the day, Revis will probably have little choice but to accept the jets deal as long as there are a few minor changes made to make it look better than it really is or sit out potentially the next three years.

#318 edray10, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  19. Salz

Salz New Member

The guy is a fucking asshole. He has held out before. He's a cocky piece of shit with the worst agents in sports. Yeah, that's right, these guys are worse than Scott Boras. Real slimy, just like their client. Love the guy as a player, but I'm not wearing his jersey ever again. Time to find a Leonhard one. Now there's a guy you can root for.

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

While I absolute believe that Jet Management lies to the players and that's a disgrace, Revis has gotten a complete pass, cause we all like him and cause of what a great player he is. He is completely in the wrong here and he was extremely difficult when signing his first contract, also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.