The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It's fair to wonder about that now, because Revis brought these type of questions on himself by pulling the 'dizziness' crap during minicamp. That's where he lost my support.

2. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Yes, if Revis isn't happy I don't think he'll play 100% with his heart. I also think Revis has a huge ego. He feels he's been slighted throughout his high school and college career. He wants payback for all the times he was passed up for defensive player of the year.

I also think his agent Schwartz screwed up on his first deal. It was a crappy contract and now his agent is still involved in the process three years later. Revis isn't playing from a position of power by holding out. He's digging himself a bigger hole by losing 20m guaranteed and getting fined 16k per day. The only way out if the Jets don't cave is a trade.

The Jets may have just been testing Revis to see how far he'd go. If they really want him they are going to have to show him the money.

3. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I don't think the money spent on salaries is a huge issue. It is the money spent on individual salaries that is bad. For the players, if a 50m guaranteed contract isn't made with a star then where does that 50m go? It certainly isn't spread out among the players. It goes into the pockets of the owners. So the system does need to be fixed but what I'd like to see is the players making a lot more in their base salaries across the board.

Spread the wealth.

4. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

CORTLAND — The Jets began their 2010 training camp with a dark cloud hovering overhead: Their best defensive player is missing and there's no telling when — if? — he'll return to the team.

As expected, Jets Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis, without the new contract extension he's been seeking, was a no-show at the team's mandatory reporting time yesterday afternoon at SUNY Cortland, where the rest of the team convened for the start of camp.

From the sound of things, this has the potential to be a protracted, contentious journey for the Jets and Revis, who's scheduled to make $1 million this season and wants to be the highest-paid player at his position. That means making more than the $15.3 million average salary Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is earning.
    RYAN'S HOPE: Rex Ryan said he was disappointed Darrelle Revis did not show at training camp, but he has faith a deal will get done.
    Jeff Zelevansky
    RYAN'S HOPE: Rex Ryan said he was disappointed Darrelle Revis did not show at training camp, but he has faith a deal will get done.

This is how entrenched Revis is about his position: By holding out, he waived a guarantee for $20 million in salaries in 2011 and 2012. He, too, is subject to a $16,000 fine for every day of his holdout.

Because Revis, by holding out, declared the strength in his conviction on this matter by giving up that guaranteed money, it means he won't be back until he is thoroughly satisfied with a new contract.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum revealed last night that he made three proposals to Revis' agents and all were rejected.

"We're disappointed he's not here, but surely it's his prerogative not to be here," Tannenbaum said. "I can tell you over last 72 hours we offered a long-term deal that would have made him a Jet for life. We offered a short-term, Band-Aid deal and offered to get together. And all three of those were rebuffed. We will keep the lines of communications open. We're working hard to find a solution."

Tannenbaum added, "We have a fundamental disagreement in total compensation."

Revis is believed to be seeking significant up-front fully guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus. Tannenbaum said he's been "flexible" on how the money is distributed.

It's believed the stop-gap offer the Jets made was raising Revis' 2010 salary to $3 million, which was not sufficient for him since he wants top cornerback salary.

This, of course, is an interesting dynamic considering the fact it was just announced this week that both Rex Ryan and Tannenbaum had received contract extensions. And their money is all guaranteed.

"I'll give him my contract and I'll take the one that he turned down; let's just go for it," Ryan quipped yesterday.

Ryan, turning more serious, added, "Darrelle is a great player -- the best corner I've ever been around. Certainly I'm disappointed. I really thought in my heart he would be signed by now, but that never happened. I still hold out faith he will be signed sometime. We'll see if I'm right about that.

"We want to get Darrelle back and be part of us."

According to Revis' agent, Neil Schwartz, Revis "deliberated with his family" about the decision to hold out and that the thought process took until late yesterday.

"This was a major decision, an extremely hard decision," Schwartz told The Post yesterday. "Obviously, he's extremely disappointed nothing was worked out."

Sources said that Revis was actually advised by his representatives not to participate in the team's offseason program, including minicamps, but Revis said he wanted to be there for Ryan.

Sources, too, told The Post that Ryan had a recent conversation with Revis and his people and indicated that the team was prepared to do something to alleviate his contract issue.

There is speculation brewing that team owner Woody Johnson is holding back the cash for guaranteed money, which is the holdup.

Revis, according to friends, has become extremely disenchanted with the Jets for what he perceives as a complete lack of effort to make his contract right in his eyes.

There'd been rumblings in recent days that he was serious about holding out despite the financial consequences. When he wasn't at Florham Park for yesterday's morning's mandatory conditioning run before the team departed for Cortland, that was a sure sign Revis was going to hold out.

He, however, had until the 5:30 p.m. team meeting to arrive without being considered a holdout.

At 5 p.m., Schwartz called The Post to say that Revis would not be in camp.

mcannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/darrelle_disappears_on_day_CFdlqDayvtAQz2zxTsLelN#ixzz0vRtjarph

5. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

ok, I if Revis is being offered only 3 million this year that is fucking ridiculous. Pay this man at least 10-12 million this year. 3 is just pure nuts. Shame on the Jets.

6. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

This sucks just fucking put the team in cap hell, and pay this guy. I wont give a shit if we win the Superbowl, and he is a major key to it.

I wouldnt give a shit if we went 0-16 for 10 years as long as we win this shit this year.

That being said we need Revis ASAP at training camp, and if he misses preseason games well that isnt good. Revis needs to be in football shape when the season starts, and he wont be if he misses preseason games, and a huge chunk of TC.

7. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Active Member

That is the wrong thing to do. First of all, why should we? Yes, he is a great CB, and the backbone of the D, but he is under contract for three years. He just gave up the guarentee for the final two years. He held out to get THIS contract, now he wants more.

Second of all, giving in to a disgruntled player with three years left is just bad business. If you do it for one, then you will see more and more hold out, no matter if they are great or not. The Jets FO are trying to find a fair offer to the team, Revis, and will not set bad practices that will come back to bite them with other players.

IMO, I would give Revis 7-10 days to work out a contract. If nothing is agreed upon, then move on to Mangold and Harris to get them signed this year.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

0-16 for the next 10 years :mad: shame on you, don't get so desperate

Revis will be there, and you bet your ass off he will be in shape when he returns, if he wants to holdout, as long as he is in uniform by week 1 then whatever let him lose his money and take that chance, I wish he would of learned from his uncle the cons of holding out on a contract

The Jets community will soon begin to turn on him, Jenkins is already talking about life without him and how we can win without him (which I doubt) but whatever I guess we will see what goes down

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Revis received an average of $5 million a year the first three years which is very good for any player not to mention a rookie. He was and I say was to receive a GUARANTEED $7 million average over the next three years which would still be very good money.

Him wanting to be the highest paid CB and overall defensive player in the league is BS, him and his agent can co F*CK themselves.

We will be better with Cromartie and Wilson than we were last year starting Lito and Revis. Let him set out, maybe the Raiders will trade for him and they can pay him what he wants. I say two 1st round picks and a 2nd would get it done if he refuses to sign a non Raider like contract. Raiders don't have to pay for a starting QB anymore or a RB so they can afford him.

10. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Why's that? Revis is under contract for three more seasons. It would set an incredibly ugly precedent to hand out a couple of million dollars to every player that is unhappy about their contracts. The only way Revis should get 10-12 million a year is if they sign him to an extension.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If this actually happens, I want Aso on this team that's for sure, if that can't work, I want plenty of 1st rounders, Michael Bush, and some more players that are worth taking from the Raiders, ROB THEM BLIND

12. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Raiders wont pay Revis Asomugha money..he did that deal to fuck the league over, and isnt that fucking crazy to sign two corners to that type of cash.

btw: i doubt revis will be traded.

13. RowOneJetFan

RowOneJetFan Guest

revis and butthead, every day he stays out makes me hate him a little bit more. Newsday one sentence pissed me off today. They quote "one of revis's agents" How many does he have. Jets gave him three choics, 1. long term deal to keep him in uniform rest of jets lift, 2. A short term deal, 3 face to face meeting with Mike Tannenbaum at Revis's house to see exactly what he wants.

Revis refused to one and two and refused to meet Mike Tannenbaum even if he was at the front door of his house.

Revis is fixated on earning more than Nnamdi's 15 million, he is like a little baby who must be paid the most, regardless of fact, his real choice is sit out entire year and keep paying a $16,532 penalty and pray to God there is no players strike after that and Jets don't win superbowl without him.

If there is no players strike and Jets fall apart at that position cause he is not here he can make a fortune in free agancy. For a religous man he sure loves to gamble.

Does not matter the owner of the team, head coach and GM all said they would take care of Revis. Revis is a butthead, Derrick Jeter, would never do this.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Including the signing bonus that Revis received upfront as a rookie, his current deal is worth $7 mil per year. To say that he is only earning $1 mil this year (salary) is a joke. Just because he already got the signing bonus a couple years ago doesn't mean that it isn't part of his compensation for this year.

He is getting a total of $7 mil for this year without a new deal regardless of how he and his agent try to spin it.

15. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

According to PFT(I know you guys hate them) the reason they can't get a deal done is that Woody won't let Mike T give Darrelle a big enough signing bonus...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/02/on-revis-tannenbaums-hands-apparently-are-tied/\

16. boshhemi487

boshhemi487 New Member

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Don't be cheap, woody.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The last 2 years were always window dressing and the Jets went to Revis after last season discussing a new deal. This mess is on the Jets as well, I expect they'll gte something done in the next couple of weeks and I won't be worried until he is missing preseason games but it's not fair to blame Revis alone for this when the Jets deserve their share of the blame.

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Revis won't sit out past August 10th. Let's just hope they can agree on a deal before then that works for both parties, and then move on to Harris and Mangold.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think people that are angry at Revis for this situation are bad fans/not loyal. I think it's the total opposite of not loyal.

You are picking a side in a business negotiation. I'm neither angry at the Jets nor at Revis. They are both taking the hard line in negotiations. I can't become emotionally involved in that. If Revis isn't in camp until the last week, so be it. As long as he stays in shape and doesn't get himself injured during the regular season because of it.

I'd much rather reads reports about players that are actually in camp on know how the rest of the team is developing, but because of fans that get emotionally involved in this business negotiation, it will dominate the headlines. And that's what I hold against those fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.