Pre-Camp 53 Man Roster Prediction

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KleckoNamathToon, Aug 1, 2010.

1. KleckoNamathToon

Here is my pre-camp 53 man roster prediction as of 8/1/2010.
    I know there is not much to go on but I love watching for the bubble guys
    and with Hard Knocks and all, I thought it would be fun to take a stab ahead of time.

I'm holding to what seemed to be the Jets preferred approach last year, 25 offense, 25 defense and 3 special teamers.
    Sticking to this unwritten rule makes for some hard decisions this summer.

QB
    -Mark Sanchez 6, QB
    -Kevin O'Connell 7, QB
    -Mark Bruenell , QB

I think I would prefer Clemens, but I'm holding out hope O'Connell is worth something.
    I might have gone with Ainge, here but two years in a row of "personal issues" worries me.

I am praying we don't waste a spot on 4 QBs this year.

RB
    -Shonn Greene 23, RB
    -LaDainian Tomlinson 21, RB
    -Joe McKnight 25, RB, KR
    -Jon Conner 38, FB, ST
    -Tony Richardson 49, FB
    -Chauncey Washington, RB,KR

Six RBs is a lot, but McKnight, Washington and Conner all help on ST.
    If Shonn goes down for an extended period I don't think LT can carry the load
    so I think the JETS will want another option. If Washington
    can still go on the PS that might be preferable, but one way or another
    I think the keep another guy around just in case.
    Another possibility here is TRich rides into the sunset by the end of camp.

WR
    *-Santonio Holmes 10, WR (4)
    -Braylon Edwards 17, WR
    -Jericho Cotchery 89, WR
    -Brad Smith 16, WR,KR
    -Laveraneus Coles 87, WR
    -Larry Taylor 15, Conn WR,KR

Six RBs means only 5 WRs. I like the Coles resigning
    and I like it even better when he says he realizes he might be gone after 4 weeks.
    I like larry Taylor over Clowney because of special teams, and, well, you can't win games in August.

TE
    -Dustin Keller 81, TE
    -Ben Hartsock 84, TE
    -Jeff Cumberland TE/WR
    I choose Cumberland over Mulligan on the hopes he is a real prospect but I can see them going with
    Mulligan if he is a better blocker.

OL
    -DBrickishaw Ferguson 60, OT
    -Vladmire Ducasse 62, OG,OT
    -Nick Mangold 74,C
    -Brandon Moore 65, OG
    -Damien Woody 69,OT
    -Rob Turner 75, OG,C
    -Wayne Hunter 78, OT
    -Matt Slauson 68, OG

The only question here is Ducasse or Slauson the starter.
    I still don't understand why Turner is not being given a chance to win the job,
    but nowhere is he mentioned so it is what it is.

26(1 suspended)

DL
    -Shaun Ellis 92,DE
    -Mike Devito 70, DE
    -Ropati Pitoitua ,DE
    -Sione Pouha 91, NT,DE
    -Kris Jenkins 77, NT
    -Vernon Gholston 50, OLB,DE
    -Matt Kroul 93, Iowa, NT,DE

This is a lot of DLs for a team that sometimes activated 4 for a game,
    but other than Ghost they all are being talked about this off-season.
    I think the Ghost has a spot, but if Rod Wright impresses, who knows?
    For those guys who expected Douglas back or wanted another draft pick on the line, who do you cut?

LB
    -Calvin Pace 97, OLB
    -Jason Taylor 95, OLB
    -Bryan Thomas 99, OLB
    -Bart Scott 57, ILB
    -David Harris 52, ILB
    -Jamaal Westerman 55, OLB/ILB
    -Lance Laury 50, ILB, ST
    -Kenwin Cummings 54, ILB

I had written off Cummings up until the last mini camp,
    especially after last season with injuries they still didn't give him any downs inside.
    He could still get beat out by Reamer or Satele but right now they seem high on him.

DB
    -Darrelle Revis 24, CB
    -Antonio Cromartie 31, CB
    -Kyle Wilson 20, CB
    -Dwight Lowery 26, CB
    -Jim Leonhard 36, S
    -Brodney Pool 22, S
    -Eric Smith 33, S
    -James Ihedjibo 44, S
    -Maurquice Cole 23, CB
    -Donovan Warren S, CB

10 is the magic number as they carries 10
    DBs all year last year.

ST
    -Nick Folk 2, K
    -T.J. Conley 8, P
    -Tanner Purdum 46, C,LS

Conley instead of Weatherford, just because.

Totally ridiculous at this point, but what the hell,
    here is my Practice Squad:

Kevin Besped OLB
    Brashton Satele ILB
    Cory Reamer ILB
    Marlon Davis G
    Aaron Kia OT
    Britt Davis WR
    Martin Tevaseu DL
    Emanuel Cook DB

Here is some talent in the final cut:

Clemens
    Ainge
    Clowney
    J Davis
    Woodhead
    Allison
    Mulligan
    r. Wright
    Coleman
    Jackson

Enjoy, critique, comment or provide your own.

2. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

i like it, lets see how Hard knocks shakes it out.....

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping Chauncy Washington shows something because I have no confidence in Mcnight and am very worried about Greene's durability.
    LT is no way capable of carrying this team if SG goes down.

I really feel the CS/FO has left us vulnerable at RB.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Here's the problem with that part. Washington's best ST attribute is lead-blocking for the KR. With McKnight back there returning kicks, Brad Smith can go back to his blocking position. Washington has a mountain to climb to make this team, and part will be proving he's better than Brad Smith at ST lead blocking. Not just good enough, not even as good as, but better.
    That's why the Jets drafted McKnight and will be keeping McKnight on the roster. We've even seen T-Rich carry the ball effectively. There is plenty of room to spread the ball around without adding a 6th RB. Shonn Greene isn't even expected to carry the team as a starter. RBBC is the status quo for a vast majority of NFL teams. One RB going down shouldn't hurt this team with the guys on this roster.
    Now you're just being ridiculous.

#4 CatoTheElder, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I've predicted Drew Coleman getting cut in three straight TCs yet he's survived. THIS is the year, folks.

Drew Coleman = CUT

6. 624

624 Banned

He will be here, don't worry. Drew Coleman to Practice is David Clowney to Preseason.

7. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I'm really hoping Rod Wright can earn a spot.

I don't think we're going to carry 5 safeties; I think Don Warren and James Ihedigbo are gonna battle it out.

8. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

Jets have already waived Britt Davis earlier today. I think Allison is slated for PS duties.

9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Remember when he was supposed to be Rex's secret weapon at WR?

10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Damn he was so Tall, how could we waive the tallness? This is bigger news then the Revis holdout.

11. AlabamaJet

AlabamaJet New Member

Cory Reamer has the type of mentality that makes for a true professional..............

#11 AlabamaJet, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  12. AlabamaJet

AlabamaJet New Member

Alabama has had many great Jets over the years. Namath, Richard Todd and Marty Lyons to name a few. Hopefully Reamer will have a great camp.............Reamer has always been a winner!!

#12 AlabamaJet, Aug 2, 2010
  13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

^^ worst case Reamer should be on the PS. Our team is stacked in a lot of places, and LB might be the most crowded, its going to be very very difficult to win a spot on this team outright. No shame in Reamer, Brashton Shatelle or Kevin Basped not making the final 53, making the PS is still going to be a major dogfight. Although I can see 1 of the 3 sticking to the 53, and the other two hiding on the PS.

14. KleckoNamathToon

Good info. Thanks

If Washington can still go on the PS that may solve the problem. Of course that makes another problem as they may be tempted to go the 4 QB route again.

15. KleckoNamathToon

Dang, that didn't take long. At this point I would give the edge to Allison.

#15 KleckoNamathToon, Aug 2, 2010
  16. KleckoNamathToon

Until I heard all the big talk this Spring about Cummings, I was thinking this way too. It is going to be a great summer watching these guys duke it out for the last spots.

17. ........

........ Trolls

Chauncey Washington is not a KR. If you're keeping him on there for that reason, you might want to consider dropping him.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

www.jetsdaily.com

With training camp finally here, it's time to look at the 2010 New York Jets. 80 players are vying for 53 spots. Most of the players we already know, but as always, there are spots up for grabs for players who impress during training camp.

Quarterback
    On the Team: Mark Sanchez, Mark Brunell
    On the Bubble: Erik Ainge, Kellen Clemens, Kevin O'Connell
    Prediction: Last year, the Jets kept four quarterbacks all season. However, none seemed to assert themselves as the backup quarterback of the future. Mark Brunell was brought in to backup Mark Sanchez as a veteran mentor, so last year's three backups will be fighting for one spot. My money is on Ainge. Even though he's ill to start camp, at 24 years old, he's the youngest of the three, and he played fairly well last preseason. O'Connell has the size and the arm but New England gave up on him alarmingly fast. Clemens's best chance at the team is if he shows he's far and away the 2nd best quarterback on the team that should play if Sanchez goes down.

Runningback
    On the Team: Shonn Greene, LaDainian Tomlinson, Joe McKnight, John Conner, Tony Richardson
    On the Bubble: Danny Woodhead, Chauncey Washington
    Uphill Climb: Jason Davis
    Prediction: Five is usually the magic number for runningbacks on a team, with three halfbacks and two fullbacks. When it comes to depth, special teams and versatility is a must. Greene and Tomlinson obviously have spots locked in, and the Jets won't cut McKnight or Conner in training camp even if they are busts. There's an outside chance Richardson, 38, retires, but expect him to be on the team at least one more year until Conner takes over. Washington's role on special teams could be usurped by Brad Smith if someone else becomes the primary kick returner. Woodhead has a better chance at the roster because of his great hands. If he makes the team, it's probably because the Jets trust him more than McKnight as a change of pace back who can catch passes. Davis was on the practice squad last year, but the drafting of Conner all but kills his chances of making the team.

Wide Receiver
    On the Team: Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes*, Brad Smith, Laveranues Coles
    On the Bubble: Aundrae Allison, David Clowney
    Uphill Climb: Marcus Henry, Larry Taylor
    Prediction: Cotchery and Edwards are locked in as the starting wideouts to begin the season. Holmes's four-game suspension opens the door for one more receiver to make the roster. Coles is probably that guy. After four games, there's a good chance LC is gone unless he plays too well to let go of. Smith has a spot locked down due to his versatility and special teams prowess. Allison and Clowney will probably be fighting for the last spot. I give a slight edge to Allison because the Jets have passed over Clowney again and again, and Allison has the ability to return kicks if he's healthy. Henry has the size but has never shown much in camp. Taylor has an outside chance of stealing the kick return job, which is his only path to the team.

Tight End
    On the Team: Dustin Keller, Ben Hartsock
    On the Bubble: Matthew Mulligan, Jeff Cumberland
    Prediction: Keller is the pass-catching tight end, and Hartsock is the blocking tight end. That much is certain. Mulligan and Cumberland will be fighting for the third spot all training camp. Cumberland is an athletic rookie from Illinois known more for his receiving skills, while Mulligan spent most of last season with the Jets after New York picked him up off waivers from Tennessee. Mulligan is more of a blocking tight end who finally stuck on a team last season after rotating off and on Tennessee and Miami's practice squads. If Cumberland flashes enough receiving ability, he could steal the job. However, right now, expect him to be a practice squadder.

Offensive Line
    On the Team: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Vladimir Ducasse, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore, Damien Woody
    On the Bubble: Matt Slauson, Robert Turner, Wayne Hunter
    Uphill Climb: Marlon Davis, Robby Felix, Dan Gay, Aaron Kia, Charlie TannerPrediction: The Jets will probably go with eight linemen, leaving three spots for the backups. Hunter, Turner, and Slauson were the guys last year, so it's easy to think they'll be back there this year. Hunter's spot is probably the most vulnerable given his age (29) but it's hard to figure out which of the five has the best chance at taking his job. The starters are all safe. Ducasse still has to beat out Slauson for the left guard spot, but everybody expects him to.

Defensive Line
    On the Team: Kris Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito
    On the Bubble: Ropati Pitoitua, Matt Kroul, Vernon Gholston, Rodrique Wright
    Uphill Climb: Jason Lamb, Ty Steinkuhler, Martin Tevaseu
    Prediction: Jenkins will be ready for the start of the season after tearing his ACL last year. He and Ellis are locks to make the team and start, while Pouha and DeVito will see a lot of time. Pitoitua is a hulking lineman who was a long-term project a few years ago, and last year he started to see some game action. Kroul has been given a ton of praise this offseason, so it's hard to see him not making the team. Gholston will be given one last chance to prove he can play in the NFL, this time at a new position. Wright is talented but caught up in a numbers game on a team that doesn't play many defensive linemen. Also, Jason Taylor, Bryan Thomas, and Calvin Pace can all lineup with their hands on the ground on third downs, so there's no need for any more linemen.

Linebacker
    On the Team: Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Jason Taylor, David Harris, Bart Scott
    On the Bubble: Jamaal Westerman, Lance Laury, Kevin Basped, Kenwin Cummings, Cory Reamer
    Uphill Climb: Josh Mauga, Brashton Satele
    Prediction: Harris and Scott are as good an inside linebacking duo in the NFL, while Thomas, Pace, and Taylor offers a talented and diverse group of players on the outside. The battle for backup spots will be fierce. Laury was signed for his special teams prowess, so he should have a spot locked up. Westerman was last year's camp sensation, so it's hard to see him falling short this year. Basped and Reamer both have chances to be this year's guy. Basped has higher long-term upside as a pass rusher, so expect him to make the grade. Cummings and Reamer will battle for the last spot with Cummings having a slight edge. Reamer should make the practice squad if that's the case.

Secondary
    On the Team: Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Brodney Pool, Eric Smith, Jim Leonhard
    On the Bubble: Dwight Lowery, Donovan Warren, James Ihedigbo, Marquice Cole, Drew Coleman
    Uphill Climb: Brian Jackson, Emanuel Cook, Bo Smith
    Prediction: The three cornerbacks and three safeties will all see a lot of action on the field, so the last few guys all need to stand out in some way to make the final roster. Lowery has better ball skills than anyone else out there, and the Jets are trying him out at safety to try to take advantage of that. Warren is an undrafted rookie from Michigan the Jets are very high on making the same transition. Both are good bets to make the roster. Ihedigbo is a big hitter and good special teamer, but his roster spot is in jeopardy with all the depth at safety. Cole and Coleman both made the team last year, but now they should be competing for the last cornerback spot. Give Cole the slight edge because Coleman is a known quantity: he can't cover anyone. Jackson, Cook, and Smith need to really impress to have any chance at cracking the team.

Special Teams
    On the Team: K Nick Folk
    On the Bubble: LS Tanner Purdum, P T.J. Conley, P Steve Weatherford
    Prediction: Folk is the only kicker on the roster, so despite his struggles last year with Dallas, he should make the squad. Like Folk, Purdum is the only long snapper on the team, so it's hard to predict anyone else. You can bet James Dearth is on speed dial though. Conley and Weatherford will battle for the punting job. Conley impressed in mini-camps last year, but that didn't carry over to training camp. Weatherford is replaceable, so if Conley shows some consistency, he can take the job.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think Marquice Cole, Drew Coleman, and Donovan Warren are all fighting for the same spot.

Ihedigbo is a solid role player.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

pullin' for Warren here....he's got more upside than the other 2 scrubs.