Revis wants 20+ mills per season (M. Lombardi)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I disagree... look at how many vets got cut this year even if there was no cap just to save money.

Could we have kept TJ for 5.8 mill? Sure, there's no cap! But if the team feels he ain't worth it they're going to get rid of him.

This is still a business guys... and NO TEAM in the NFL is willing to just throw away money just because they can (except the Deadskins maybe)...

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

NOt really.... very few players get 10+ mill euros (13 mill dollars)... and most of them play in teams financed by the russian mafia (Chelsea) or with ridicolous WORLDWIDE marketing power (Man Utd, Real Madrind and Barcelona).

And they have a worldwide market... not just a US market... and they get a shitload of tv money.

Funny the only really crazy contract in the history of soccer was the one they gave to Beckham in the US.

3. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Well, that's basically my argument and point in a nutshell right there. This is fantasy land a.k.a. SPORTS. These guys are going to get paid, one way or the other. Football is America's sport, as much as baseball thinks it is. Hockey couldn't survive in this country if the lockout had gone on much longer. Football has the public by the balls. Salaries are just going to up. Fucking A-Rod makes more than 25 million a year. Revis will make that money, why shouldn't we be the team that gets to have him??

4. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

That doesn't apply here. Revis is not even 25 years old. Thomas Jones is an aging RB. Big fucking difference.

5. GreenMachine

David Beckham
    $32 million

Ronaldo
    $23 million

Zinedine Zidane
    $19 million

I could go on...

6. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

Say he gets $22M a year on average because it says Revis and agent expect a salary exceeding $20M. That is a $7M a year difference. Your saying that isn't going to cost us a valuable player? I think Revis is the man I love him but my argument is that $15-16M a year isn't chump change at all and in no shape or form should it be looked at as any disrespect. He will still be the highest paid CB and I'm pretty sure the highest paid defensive player in football.

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

How many teams pay that kind of money? Except the Yankees I mean...

Don't count Pitchers... they are the equivalent of QBs...

Because it's important to keep the other talented players as well...?

#47 Mambo9, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

spot fucking on.

9. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm not checking baseball's salaries, but I would guess of the top of my head 25 percent of MLB teams have a payroll over 100 million dollars. Obviously the superstars make the most. Dude, fucking Vernon Wells makes like 20 million a year. SAlaries are going up. SPORTS ARE FOR THE MOST PART RECESSION-PROOF. Especially fucking football.

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Actually no you couldn't :)

I live in Italy and am a huge soccer fan... and the list stops after another 4 or 5.

And all of those contracts were with Real Madrid. What you might not know is that Real takes 50% of the image rights of those players... guess how much money that is...

People thought they were crazy when they signed Ronaldo (not Cristiano Ronaldo) for at the time about 10 mill dollars but then they realized that thanks to him the team made an extra 20 mill in marketing income between commercials and T-shirts.

Much different world than the NFL.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

who gives a shit.....does spending that kind of money have to be considered a "trend" before it's deemed acceptable?

c'mon....

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Why not list some baseball or basketball players salaries.
    All you need to know is Brian fucking Cardinal (yeah, who?) makes 8 million a year to average 1 (1 fucking point!!!!) point per game.
    As Don King would say.....Only in America!!

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1 team over 200,000

8 between 100,000 and 150,000

21 under 100,000

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2009

They play a lot more games (TV income) and hav smaller rosters. No doubt the star players get more money!!!

NFL is an entirely different thing contract-wise!

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Revis needs to be paid, but $20 million a year is absurd within the salary cap that existed last year. I'm sure this is just the starting point for negotiations. Tanny will figure it out.

15. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

MB, what's that saying?
    Jet fan finds a bag of 20s and bitches because they're not 50s or 100s? Holy shit!!! This is sports. It's not your fucking money. They're jacking my ticket prices up, parking prices up, I have to drive to another fucking state to get to the game, it's an all day event, and my tailgating shit costs at least 100 dollars every Sunday. You know what??
    I still fucking pay the money, and I still go.
    This is fucking football! The man's one of the best, plays on OUR TEAM, pay him the fucking money. He should make more than Aso, sorry. He's the best at his position. Point fucking blank.

16. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

Baseball players play 162 games a year versus football players playing 16 games a year. Revenues are completely different. Theres a reason why a team like the Yankees can have a $200M+ salary on 25 players every year. They sell out 162 games a year plus playoffs, not 16.

17. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Bang, you proved my point. In fact that's MORE THAN 25 percent of the league. Thank you.

18. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

You need to be in shape to play football. You just need to show up to play baseball. Sorry, but that's the truth.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

bingo.bango.bongo.

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

No what I'm saying is that the Yankees are the only team in Baseball with enough money (or income) to do that.

I don't think the Jets have an income 2 times greater then the rest of the NFL teams to pull that off and still be inside the budjet they give themselves (because Tanny has said many times that even with no cap they still work on a budjet).

Anyone who says "we should keep Revis no matter the cost" says that because they just think "Woody is a millionaire, he'll find the money to do that". But if we sign him to that contract and we won't be able to hang on to Mangold and Harris because of it (since we still operate on a budjet) they will be pretty pissed IMO. And that's what I'm afraid of...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.