" Cimini Plays Doom and Gloom Card " ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, May 6, 2010.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its so much easier if you paste the story.

ESPN New York notes the Jets still have a number of key foundational players to wrap up long term in the wake of San Francisco's major pay day for Patrick Willis.

The Jets appear headed for choppy financial waters with regard to some of their young stars, namely Nick Mangold, David Harris, D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Darrelle Revis.

You can bet that Patrick Willis’ five-year, $50 million contract extension, announced Tuesday by the 49ers, caught the attention of several Jets players and their agents. Willis, a first-round pick in 2007, had two years remaining on a five-year deal, but his club rewarded him for being one of the top linebackers in the game.

The aforementioned Jets have to be wondering, "What about me?" And rightly so.

The Jets have sent a dangerous message to their locker room this offseason, dumping well-respected, productive veterans such as Alan Faneca and Thomas Jones. Rex Ryan always talks about how he wants his guys to "play like Jets." Well, Faneca and Jones played like Jets and what happened? They received pink slips even though Faneca made his ninth straight Pro Bowl and Jones rushed for 1,400 yards. There's also the case of Leon Washington, who basically gave a leg for the organization and was sent packing in a trade.

The organization needs to show a willingness to take care of its own. The Jets have done it in the past, giving rich extensions to players like Jerricho Cotchery and Kerry Rhodes (gone), but the latest perception is that they’d rather take on one-year, hired guns than develop and pay homegrown talent.

God bless Cimini. He cites a fact the Jets paid Rhodes and Cotchery and then just makes up a "perception" based on nothing. Whose perception is this, Rich? Is it yours? Why does it matter? If the Jets pony up the cash to the guys you mentioned, the "perception" will disappear.

At any rate, Tannenbaum has shown he should be trusted until he cannot be trusted. A year ago, many of us were up in arms Washington was not extended. I was one of them. Mike held his ground, though. He knew that running backs aren't that hard to replace. He got a similar one in the fourth round of the Draft.

The best teams in the NFL don't get attached to players on sentiment. It's a ruthless business. Guys get replaced all of the time. Tannenbaum asserts a value to each player, and goes from there. When there's a guy he deems valuable like Cotchery, he gets an extension. When the team thinks it can replace a guy like Jones, he gets released. Mike has also shown he can work financial numbers as well as anybody in the league. That's why the Jets were a half from the Super Bowl four years after being 4-12 with the worst cap situation in the league. Something tells me Tannenbaum will place more value on premium young talent than aging players.

It's impossible to keep every single player in the NFL. Some guys may end up going elsewhere. The Jets are fortunate to not have many holes, which means they can aggressively address any that arrive.

Most teams would consider having that much young talent to lock up a great "problem" to have.

3. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Oh for fuck's sake.

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

:breakdance::breakdance::breakdance:

5. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I think for the Jets to lock up all 4 of these guys, all 4 are going to have to agree to take a 10-20% pay difference in relation to the top-contracts in the league. If they want to stay together as a unit and be (hopefully) dominant, it may happen. In Tanny I trust for now.

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

this should be fun... let the hate begin.

it appears that the last 4 paragraphs are someone commenting on ciminis comments.

the jets shouldnt have problems with guys saying what about me that have 2 years left on their current deal, they rarely extend guys with 2 years left and what san fran does really doesnt matter to how the jets do it.

he actually misses the issues that could be brewing which are the year after year guys coming out and saying that the jets lied to them. its been 3 years in a row that a guy has come out and said the jets lied about their intentions.

and hired guns usually dont work as well as home grown guys, but hey were trying to sell psls here :)

7. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Hahahahaha. As if on que.

8. JeTerps

JeTerps Active Member

This story actually makens no sense. He's clearly tryin' to sell some papers by talking about the now-popular jets in early May.

Here's why it doesn't make sense. He talks about how we let veteran players leave (Faneca & Jones) who were not home grown so that we can pay guys like Brick, Mangold, Harris & Jesus but then says we'd rather pay one year hired guns then taking care of our own? This makes no sense! We let those guys go so that we CAN keep our home grown talent.

And Leon? I don't want to repeat old news but with that injury and his desire to get paid, the fact we could anything for him makes just plain old good business sense to ship him out.

Mr. T knows we've got great home grown talent to pay and that's why we dumped those big names this season. And by the way Cimini, when you hire guys to one year contracts (Taylor & Holmes for example) you're situating yourself WELL to pay your home grown guys when their contracts expire.

So stupid...

9. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I think he thinks that it's aimed at Cimini.

Just so you know, alleycat, my post is aimed at you personally.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

A lot of teams have big money invested in RB and WR. We don't. A lot of teams have big money invested in safeties. We don't. This will help us be able to spread more money around to the BIG 4 coming up. I think either Edwards or Holmes will be gone. Cromartie will likely be gone and replaced by Wilson.

Plus Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas, Gholston, Woody will all be off the books in the next year or two, and they all make significant money.. and are all relatively easy to replace. Ducasse likely being groomed for RT, Gholston already useless, Ellis and Thomas are just role players at this stage of their careers, as much as I really like Ellis.

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Yeah both of whom are old in NFL terms.
    TJ well may get another good season, Fanaca too, but do you really want to throw cash away, when you can go younger and invest in the teams long term future at the same time>?
    Slow news day huh Rich :shit:

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cimini seems to have graduated from fabricating false anonymous source quotes to actually printing the private thoughts of players on the team now.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

*anonymously

14. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

And if you wrap it in QUOTE tags... :up:

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

16. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

GOOD MORNING RICH CIMINI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Were you sleeping the past 6 months???

You think the Jets just went "WOW, Cimini just opened our eyes"

NO... When Cimini was crying about all the cuts the Jets made, Logical people pointed out that every dollar counts... OF COURSE Revis is going to command top dollar....

The Jets knew they couldn't pay Leon, Faneca and TJ much in the next few years so, they cut ties now at those spots in order to develop younger kids...

And the Jets never could or did do a deal like Miami getting Brandon Marshall because they didn't have the money..... What they did was sign a bunch of people for basically 1 year tryouts - HELLO THIS IS NO SECRET!!!!!!

YES, the Jets will lose a few players next year, I'm sure JT, at least one of the wr's and possibly Cromartie are gone...

The Jets will lock up their core and fill the holes once again... They will draft a pass rusher, maybe another CB and move on... PRESTO.

How can any idiot act as if the Jets are setting an example in the locker room when they let OLD GUYS go... None of their young core players were thrown onto the street... WEAK!

This is NFL business.. And Cimini is a complete Dolt for writing an article as if he woke up yesterday... I guess he needed to write something exciting for his new gig?

I wish Cimini were here right now - If he were my buddy I'd give him a smack and say DUDE WAKE UP YOU SOUND LIKE DOLT

17. kelly

kelly Banned

mom ? ? :sad:

18. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Here's Cimini morphing into Mike Florio.

19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I was about to say, great response, until I read it wasn't yours lol. But I agree with the guys response 100%. Jets released guys who were aging, regressing and being a distraction. That is a common practice in the NFL. In Leon's case, it was a bad situation for both sides. Jets weren't willing to pony up $20 mil for him, and did not know how he'd come back from a major leg injury. So they decided to muster what ever they could for him and let him make that money elsewhere. Worked out pretty good for both teams.

20. Coach K

Coach K New Member

so Tanny sucks cause since hes been GM theyve drafted players so good they can garner top dollar for their position once their rookie contract is up?

yeah he sucks alright.