New York Jets to cut Faneca....per NJ.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matty Jets, Apr 24, 2010.

1. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

I believe that the "project" label is due to him not playing a lot of football in his life and still learning blocking angles and how to use his hands and feet properly. I think he is a "project" as far as playing tackle, but I think he is less of a project playing guard where he is going to be able to be slotted in between Mangold and Brick, those 2 will be able to help him and he will not be on a island like he would at RT. He has proven to be a fast learner and should develop quickly under the guidance of an OL guru like Callahan rather then a small school coaching staff, and the 2 pro bowl OL's on either side of him. I also feel that he is only going to be at guard for 1 season, I think after he learns the game and techniques better he will be taking over for Woody next year. This was not a Sexy pick, but it was a great pick to help secure our OL for the future!:up:

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

When he is officially cut rather than reportedly cut that link will mean something. I never said he wouldn't be cut, I said I may be wrong but I don't think he will be and I also said it does not make sense financially.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He is a project because he apparently sucks at pass protection. At the combine everybody beat him. He played left tackle in school so he knows the tackle position. They are thinking of him now as a left guard and moving over to replace Woody at right tackle next year. All of that reeks of "project"

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

When he went up against tougher competition in the Senior Bowl some of his flaws were exposed that had not been shown against lesser teams during the season.
    All coach-able, fixable flaws but he needs some time.

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Suprised they don't try to restructure his contract.

6. Don

Yeah, so am I. More surprised they didn't wait until final cuts if they are intent on getting rid of him. That's why this has to be about something else. They have to pay him the 5 mil+ anyway.

7. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

Maybe he will sign for less, since he know the Jets are close this year to going all the way.

8. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Agreed. I have yet to read any sensical reason for this move, which Newark Star Ledger says is coming on freakin Monday.

9. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Im surprised we cant trade him for a low round pick with all these trades going on hardly anybody gets straight up cut anymore.

Nvm i just saw his cap numbers no wonder he is getting cut

#189 Nesquik, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  10. Don

One more reason to question the true motive behind this. If the Jets are willing to just throw away 5 1/2 million dollars so they can cut him now then wtf haven't they already cut Gholston. There isn't anyone of this board who really believes this guy will ever see the field this or any other year.

11. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I'm not sure If I believe this. Willhave to wait till monday to know for sure.

12. skipper

skipper Member

As far as the timing is concerned, I think they had decided to cut him a while back and held on to see if they could get anything for him during the draft. When no one showed interest they decided to bite the bullet and cut him. I agree that there is more than meets the eye in this. We'll find out in a while what was going on.

People say that the backups have shown nothing. True, they have shown us nothing but they have shown the coaches plenty. Yes, Adrian Clarke was a dud, but the coaching staff didn't have him for a year. Callahan has had Slauson, Turner and Hunter for a while now, and he knows what they can do very well. I trust his judgement a hell of a lot more than that of a fellow couch potato who hasn't been at the practices, meetings and training sessions.

The FO is looking ahead and I for one am very glad that they are the ones making the decisions and not the emotion driven fans on TGG.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He's been coached by Bill Callahan for a while now. I'm sure he has a great grasp of the blocking scheme.

14. Don

If it wasn't true you would here the Jets, Faneca, his agent and everybody else on the planet denying it. It's been put in print. Holding out hope that it isn't true is just wishful thinking.

15. Dexter Morgan

Dexter Morgan New Member

I hope that isn't true.

16. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

I hate this. as much as i used to verbally-abuse Faneca through my tv set for being a complete liability in the passing game cuz of his shit-ass pass blocking, i realized that he is the true veteran presence on the o-line and an absolute BEAST in the running game. towards the end of last season he played like a monster and i definitely wanted the entire o-line back for their 3rd season together. now with him supposedly being gone, the chemistry is gonna take a huge hit, and this Ducasse guy is a big question mark. He never played guard in college so how do we know he'll be alright there? and how's he gonna be on those pulling plays to the right side which the Jets ran with Faneca SOOOO much last year?

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a lot like the Kendall move: a declining vet gets cut because the Jets want to develop his replacement. Like the Kendall move if the Jets adequately replace Faneca we won't care much about the move by October and if they don't it's going to wreck the season.

Faneca is maybe a A-/B+ player in the run game and a C-/D in pass protection. Overall he's a B player. That's the target the Jets have to hit to make this a decent move. I'd prefer a straight B guy to what we got out of Faneca because protecting Sanchez blindside is the most important thing the Jets need to do better on the offensive side of the ball next year.

18. ........

........ Trolls

I sure hope our Guard play is better this season than it was in 2007.

19. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

im sick and tired of this nickle and dime shit

20. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Here is my conversation with Jabba - relative to this and Vlad the Impaler

Me: so whats the skinny on this guy Vlad the Impaler

Me: you really think he can step right in and play right away?

I'll take his word over many people yelling about the sky falling because we are cutting Fanaeca