*OPINION* best receiving corps in Jets history?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Moore was kind of a poor man's Toon and we already had Toon, so I didn't love that pairing as much as Toon and Walker. That mixture was probably the best I've seen because even Keyshawn and Chrebet were both posession WRs. The thing there was we had Ward as a deep threat and Curtis Martin in his prime with Vinny at QB, so there was everything around them condusive to being successful.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The thing was though that in '98 Curtis was playing hurt all year and had his worst full year w/ us. In 1999 Chrebet missed 6 games and they played w/ Mirer and Lucas all year.

3. Italian Seafood

My point is they had the surrounding cast in 1998 to be successful, even if it wasn't Curtis' best year. I don't remember him being hurt, I know in 2002 he got hurt in the first game, 1998 I don't remember.

I'm saying the group you like, Toon, Moore, Mathis and Burkett, perhaps they would have thrived with a better QB and running game, I don't know. I never thought much about that group, as I mentioned, aside from Toon I wasn't overly impressed with any of them. Mathis did well when he left, Toon was done by mid 1992, Moore never lived up to his billing and Burkett was a nice player but not that memorable.

4. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Best WR corps that I actually saw was Toon and Walker, since I think both of them were better than Keyshawn and Chrebet.

5. Italian Seafood

I'd have to agree. Toon was better than Keyshawn in the same basic role, and Walker was light years ahead of Chrebet, a legit deep threat.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Only two Receiver duo's had 4 straight years where both receivers had 45 or more receptions in Jets history (Maynard / Sauer 66-69 & Keyshawn / Chrebet 96-99)

Another great receiving duo we had was Maynard and Art Powell 1960-62

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Curtis actually missed a game in 1998 and he averaged 3.5 YPC for the year.

Toon and Moore were really good, Burkett a good role player and Mathis showed what he could do when he left us. WR wise that was an excellent group that never really had the chancew to blossom b/c of injuries and the QB situation.

8. Italian Seafood

Two things I can remember by Burkett. He blocked a punt early in the 1991 home Miami game to get the Jets off to a good start. That was important because it was six days after the Chicago MNF meltdown and got them going again, also, paired with the season finale we swept Miami and got in the playoffs. The other was in a key home loss vs Indy late in 1993, ultimately cost us the playoffs. He caught a long pass or something but didn't score, then we ran a reverse and lost yardage, taking us out of FG range. We ended up losing something like 9-6.

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think Keller and LT/LW(?) catching balls out of the backfield will be the most productive in this offense.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Toon and Walker were definitely the best the Jets ever had. This group has the potential to be better if Edwards gets over his dropsy syndrome. Probably much better.

11. mainejetsfan

mainejetsfan New Member

I've followed them since the Titans. Sauer, Maynard and Lammons was the best Jets receiving corps I've seen.