Jason Taylor seeming likely [edited]

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Apr 12, 2010.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wrong. In 2006, Tannenbaum drafted for need because we had holes at LT and C. Had we picked up a free agent at center or left tackle, it would have been a stopgap and we could have gone in another direction with one of those draft picks. That is the textbook definition of 'altered draft plans'.

2. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

God I don't know if I want this fag dragging his balls across Jets fans faces. Its pointless to pick him up.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Those were his words I used. I'll try to find the article. He uses the Free Agency to fill his holes and then drafts the best player available. That is his strategy

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No, it's not.

The Jets need to improve their pass rush. Jason Taylor can do that for a very cheap contract.

If Taylor signs, the Jets will be able to go after the BPA in this draft. Signing Taylor makes our team so much more flexible in this draft.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I still think we need to go after the Best Pass rusher in the draft, eve if we sign Taylor.

He's just a stop gap, not a long term solution.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I agree, he'll be 36 and at the end of the road...... I still want a pass rusher or a stout DE (which will be a big need in the near future) if their worthy of being close to the BPA at the time.

7. abyzmul

Yes, that is the strategy that he is using now, but it wasn't always his strategy as you said before. 2007 and 2006 were need drafts and they were addressed by drafting high and at times trading up.

You could say that 2009 was also a need draft, since we traded up twice for Sanchez and Greene, although you could argue that the Jets saw Greene as BPA on Saturday night as Day 1 ended and they convinced Tanny to go get him.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone that feels we need to make a pass rushing defensive lineman a priority in the draft.
    I also agree that while not liking the idea of JT in Jet green but realize that he can help us in our quest for a SB.
    The only fear i have is that the FO/CS is so focused on 2010 and selling PSL's that we don't chose players to develope for down the road to step in to positions of our aging vets.
    I don't want to come across as not having faith in Mr. T and Rex to build this team, not only for 2010 but beyond, but i just want them to see past 2010.
    We need an OLB no matter what.
    We need a DE to replace Ellis
    We need depth at NT
    We need to groom Woody's and Faneca's replacements.
    I'm sure it will all be taken care of i just had to say my peace.

9. MadBacker Prime

I think that is the main question right now. Are we just going for it all right now, for 2010. To sell PSL's yeah, but also because they realize how hard it will be to keep all our key players.

Maybe that's there plan, go for broke in 2010 and deal with next year, next year.

We'd all love it if we win in 2010, but I pissed will we be if this blows up in our faces and we end up losing some key players next year to top if off.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Right now 2010 is all we have because there are no rules in place and no guarantee there will even be football in 2011. Also, I don't think Jason Taylor is a move to sell PSLs, considering any Jet fan who is older than 5 and can read already hates the faggot.

11. MadBacker Prime

I agree with the JT part, that won't sell PSL's but if they spin it well enough that this is the final piece. Along with the Jet draft class-

Something like that-

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Someone like Everson Griffen would be fine with me...we'll be lucky if he's there at 29. I'd be fine with drafting a young player at almost every position.

Taylor improves this defense at a low cost. It's a good move.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

jason taylor does not fit in to any long term plans, whether he signs or not is meaningless to our draft. I'm not listening to Tannenbaum I am listening to common snese when building a football team. The players we draft we expect to contribute for 5-10 years not just for this year or next year so Taylor has no impact on our draft. I'd still draft a pass rusher if they felt he as the best available.

None of those moves alter our draft plans, IF for example we signed Cromartie long term and signed Braylon or Holmes long term we'd know we wouldn't have to worry about those 2 positions but that is not the case w/ Taylor who will be here likely for just one year and a max of 2 years. We have a better front office tha to use that strategy regarding the draft.

14. Odd Neck Stems

Edit: already posted on the last page.

15. abyzmul

That's why I used the term 'stopgap'. Addressing that position in FA changed pass-rushing OLB from an immediate production need to a position where the player does not necessarily need to produce immediately - IE a lower round pick.

That's right - the best available. Something you have the luxury of doing when you already have a stopgap player on the roster, which changes the draft strategy from need to BPA.

Signing them long term doesn't mean shit, and now you're deflecting. Bringing in Holmes means we can go BPA if there is a slot receiver available, but it also makes the likelihood of drafting one on the first or second round very low and lowers those slots on our value chart, because they are no longer needs.

Textbook altered draft plans. You're just arguing for argument's sake, junc. And it's a bad one.

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

No, it's not an argument that that is what happened... that IS what happened. They said so themselves. After the 2nd round ended, they saw Greene still available. They had him graded as a 1st round player. Terry Bradway and others went to Mr. T and said we HAVE to get this guy, and Mr. T was reluctant at first to give up the additional draft picks, but he finally relented and they moved up for him. It's not a debate. That is what happened. He was by far the best player on their board, so they moved up for him.

RB was not a position of need in 2009 with Jones and Leon on the roster. QB was a different story, we obviously needed one. 2006 was clearly a "need" draft, because the team was in shambles and we had no offensive line. But trading up doesnt mean it's for a need necessarily. It's usually a case of a team thinking the value of a player at a spot in the draft is just simply too good to pass up and they'll do what it takes to get him. Like Shonn Greene.

17. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

He should feel lucky we offered him a contract. Imo he's making us look like chumps waiting on him to make a decision. Yes or no its as simple as that. I really really hope he gets picked up by Miami again.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Teams that draft for need are usually the ones that aren't successful. BPA is the best way to draft and if that happens to be an immediate need then that's great.

If Jason taylor alters our draft plans our front office isn't very good.

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I think you're missing the point.

Drafting for need essentially means drafting for IMMEDIATE need. If we sign Jason Taylor, then getting a pass rusher in the draft doesn't become an IMMEDIATE need, meaning we can always wait until 2011 to take care of that.

Everyone NEEDS depth and younger players, but the question is whether or not we need them to start ASAP. As Abz was saying, since we've plugged in a hole at WR, and hopefully in the pass rusher position, then those two positions don't become an immediate need, thus altering our draft plan for 2010.

If you remember, we all expected to draft a CB in the first round since that position was an IMMEDIATE need. Once we obtained Cromartie, the next Immediate need became slot WR or pass rusher. Getting Holmes took care of the WR position, and if we don't get Taylor, we'll likely get a pass rusher in the first. If we do get Jason Taylor, then we can draft Best Player Available.

20. abyzmul

For a team that planned on running the ball as much as the Jets did in 2009, I would argue that RB was definitely a position of need. Rex came from a team that loaded up on rushing talent to balance out the inexperience of a rookie QB and they made it to the playoffs on the merits of a deep RB corps and a staunch defense.

Fast forward to 2009 and Ryan takes a rookie QB, and has Thomas Jones, 30 years old, and Leon Washington, a scatback who has never carried a full load. RB may not have been a glaring weakness, but if you saw how we ended up relying on Greene in 2009, I can't see how you can argue it wasn't a position of need.