Ferguson wants more D'Money

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Doogstein, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I really hope that if we do wind up keeping Gholstons contract on the books it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.

2. jetjunkie

jetjunkie New Member

not even in the final year of his contract yet

3. soks45

soks45 New Member

i hate that the damn cba stupidness is throwing all this uncertainty around the new contractts for our young guys

4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually, history shows that teams struggle to keep all their guys after winning the Super Bowl. It seems like a lot of players tick the Super Bowl off their career-goals list and concentrate on getting as much money as possible over the remainder of their careers.

We'll see if the cap situation has any bearing on that.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

The core players on this team will get looked after, of which DBrick is one.
    If you have a look at whats going on right now with some of the puzzling penny pinching, it starts to become a little clearer.
    Saving money now to pay guys later on down the line is just economic sense.

Found this piece interesting....

I hope Bricks agent is an Alvin Keels type A-hole

6. Pustelnik

Pustelnik New Member

Seems like we will be clearing a lot of cap in these years. Rhodes had a cap value of 5,7 mio in 09, cutting or trading Faneca & Woody after 2010 will save us +10 mio, getting an OLB this draft will allow us to trade B. Thomas after 2010 saving 3,7 mio.

This should give us the room to resign the key players.

DBrick already has a cap value of 12,5 mio in 2011 - does he want alot more than that?
    Mangold has a value of 4,5 mio in 2010 - (I think Jason Brown is the highest paid C at 37,5 mio for 5 years and 20mio guaranteed. Pro Bowler Andre Gurode has a 6 year 30 mio deal.) Mangold will need a few more millions - not 10 a year!

The big questionmark to me is Revis - does he want Aso-money? Even if he does, I think we can make this work by making the necessary replacements on the O-line - but we have to start looking for future LG and RT. That is key.

7. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

I found this Interesting, it was the first time that I heard about the 30 percent rule. "It means that the player's salary in 2010 can't be more than 30 percent greater than the player's salary in 2009." For players who are looking to seriously renegotiate their contracts, they might be best advised to wait for a new deal between the player union and league. The only way around it would be to have huge signing bonus. As much as D'Bick (Mangold and Revis as well) already made last season it would be hard to believe that a new contract would generate more then 30% of his salary last season. Here is a link to what I am referring too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/21/30-percent-rule-still-looms-over-uncapped-year/

8. hazmat

hazmat New Member

This.

Has any young player received their big second contract this off season while they are still under contract for 2010 and beyond?

The rules make it extremely difficult to restructure this off season.

Mangold and Harris will be free agents after 2010
    Brick after 2011
    Revis after 2012

I would hope they can keep all four guys but the new cba will play a big part in that.

Also, Braylon, Leon and Cromartie are also on the verge of second contracts.

No chance that all seven of these guys sign long term 2nd contracts with the Jets.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I don't know what all the hand wringing is about. There is no cap right now. If there is a new cap, it will be high. The Jets don't have much dead wood on the payroll other than Gholston and he'll be gone next year. There are no restrictions under the current "final 8" rules when it comes to signing your own players. Why would the Jets lose any of Revis, Harris, Mangold, and Ferguson?????? It's not happening.

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

There are rules against restructuring your own players this offseason. If one of them was a free agent we could give them the bank but since they are under contract its nearly impossible to give them new contracts.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think this is why drafting some young blood for the OL is important, my guess is Faneca will be gone as will Gholston so that will take quite a bit off the books. Gholston is worthless on the field but losing Faneca's leadership will be huge but Mangold should be able to pick it up.

I don't think we can afford to lose any of the 4 mentioned but if we had to lose one I'd say Harris. He won't easily be replaced but Revis and Mangold are the best at their positions and Dbrick is a potential PB player every year.

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Brick needs and deserves his pay day. He also plays a position that is at a premium in this league. ProBowl LTs don't fall out of trees.

He hasn't even reached his prime years yet....I'm confident the Jets will lock him up in a long term contract.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We will need to draft a young guard on day one either this year or next year to replace Faneca if we are going to afford to retain our core players.

14. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Yeah, I love Harris but he's far and away the fourth man on that totem poll. The other guys are all among the top 5 at their position, with Revis and Mangold both being #1.

Before anyone starts: Joe Thomas, Michael Roos, Bryant McKinnie, Jason Peters are the only four that I'd give a shot at being ahead of Brick. Jake Long is pretty close.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Thomas Jenkins Gholston Faneca Moore Leon are all replaceable and can all be gone next year for some extra cash to sign Revis Mangold Brick and Harris.

16. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Give D'great wall of Brick his $$...

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would throw Clady in there as well but it is still a very short list.

By the time we sign our core players, Pace, Scott, and our other FAs will be seen as huge bargains.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The thing with Brick is that he has chemistry with the line and fits in with what we do. I think the goal is to go with more of a balanced attack as opposed to the ground and pound. I'd much prefer to bring in a guy who we know works then lose him and try somebody new.

I trust that Ryan and Co have the ability to replace Harris's production but to me we have so many guys on D that get the job done that keeping the top players on O is a much bigger priority.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I love Brick (have his jersey since he was drafted.) But he is not top 5.

According to everyone's criticism Brick took 4 years to be good.

Long in Miami was good immediately.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Oh also...please pay the guys.

I know it will get done but I don't want it long and drawn out to the point they get disgruntled.