ESPN: Jets eyeing Iupati in Round 1?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ShAuN JoHN 9294, Mar 19, 2010.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We do not need a guard in the first round plus you have to question this guys competition. We have to get younger and more athletic along the defensive line. Ellis, Jenkins, Pouha, Greeen are all over 30. Plus we need to get more pressure on the QB becuase the secondary will be locking down opposing WR's with Revis and Cromartie.

2. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

So we need to replace our over-30 defensive linemen, but not our over-30 offensive linemen?

Outside of the gruesome twosome near the top, there is no 3-4 defensive end in the draft that would be a better value at 29 than Mike Iupati.

I agree with the comment about getting pressure and needing a rush linebacker, but once again, with the exception of maybe Brandon Graham, there is no rush linebacker that would be a better value at 29 than Mike Iupati.

Iupati and Alualu, Iupati and Alualu... I'm gonna say it like a mantra for the next month!

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Which position requires more atleticism and subject to injury more? The defensuive line. Ferguson, Mangold and Moore are all under 30 I don't see your comparison. Also how many Pro Bowlers we have on the offensive line vs Pro Bowler on the defensive line.

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Moore will be 30 when the season starts, I severely doubt the Faneca and Woody will be Jets in 2011, if they are starters our OL will suffer a severe decline.

While I agree with you that our DL is older and needs an infusion of youth just as badly, we need to maintain the elite OL into the future. Think about it, with the selection of Iupati, we don't need a starter on the left half of our OL for 5 more years at the very least. you can not put a price on OL continuity, especially when you are striving to have the best in the NFL.

Protecting sanchez is the most important thing to our teams success, remember that he will only be in his 3rd year in 2011 and without Faneca and Woody having quality replacements we could be looking at another adrien clarke and anthony clement season, do you want that?

Also last year it became established that we can sustain an injury or two along the DL and we can still be productive. We have no established depth along the OL, do we want to take that chance?

Of course I am not advocating moving up for Iupati, but if he falls into our lap, he is very likely to be the BPA and we shouldnt hesitate to take him.

We can always snag OL depth in the second with a guy like Alualu who I think is a better fit for us than Odrick anyways.

5. andrew.derwin

andrew.derwin Banned

A question about what unusal places have you had sex reminded me of being so young and in love for the first time. It brought back a lot of memories and this song came to mind. Top of the World by The Carpenters was popular back then. I guess it shows my age.

6. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Cool! ...

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

O-linemen tend to be more effective later in there careers than d-linemen and also tend to have a longer shelf life. I agree we need to start infusing youth on the o-line but the d-line is in more dire need IMO. We've spent 2 first round picks, as well as 2 other picks on o-line from 2006-2009 and haven't spent a single one on the d-line.

We don't even have a starting quality d-end on one side, and our starting NT has proven to be very injury prone. Ellis is getting up there and will start to decline sooner than later. Our only known backup on d-line will probably be in a pretty significant rotation with Jenkins too ...

That said, I wouldn't be disappointed at all with this pick, but I do not want to see us trade up for him.

8. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I would be very happy with Iupita, what a great pick, he would be an amazing talent in run blocking and give us a wide body eventually on the right side or between DBrick and Mangold, I also think he will be gone before we pick

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd settle for one. He's proved he can do it, let's move on to other stuff.

10. Fakterx

Fakterx New Member

One other nice thing about drafting Iupati is that he would have a whole season learning the RT position as opposed to the G position.

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

huh? iupati would be taking over for faneca as our LG of the future...

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I'll take a big lineman in the first round. In year one he can be backup and he can be a third tackle on some running formations.

13. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

He wouldn't be my first choice but I would be fine with taking Iupati in round 1. He would definitely play guard though, I don't think he has the footwork to play outside.

I think DE in our biggest need but we should be able to find one in the second round. This is draft is stacked with defensive linemen.

14. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I'd be fine with Iupati in the first round as long as we don't trade up. Would prefer a DE with the first pick though.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

In a normal draft, this would suck. Nobody wants to watch their team take the boring pick towards the OL. This year, I'm totally for it. This draft is heavy in the later rounds on defense anyway, it wouldn't really be a bad idea to go offense in the first. IMO.

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

he only problem is you draft a 1st round pick to be a starter or hopefully a starter from day 1. Mike Iupati should be a starter, but however would not be on the Jets this year.

We should draft someone later to learn behind our other guys and start next season.

Marshall Newhouse in a big faster guy who can play either guard or tackle and could be picked up in the 4th round.

17. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Iupati is a nice swing lineman who can come in and back up multiple spots this year, but Faneca has earned the right to come back.

I am definitely concerned with the level of play Woody and Faneca can sustain going forward, and it would behoove us to start on a contingency plan sooner rather than later. Since our bread and butter is the running game, Iupati makes a lot of sense. He's huge, versatile, and nasty, and he wouldn't have to play right away.

-X-

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

The only positions where a rookie could start on this team in 2010 are FS and DE(maybe someone takes Bryan Thomas' job away). Any other spot is going to be a backup for at least the first 4 games baring an injury or suspension. Are you saying that the Jets should reach for a FS or DE at 29 if there is no team willing to trade up? The Jets need OL help at LG and RT so getting two in this daft would not be a bad move.
    He's earned the right to return until he proves he otherwise. If week 6 rolls around and he's struggling in pass protection and the Jets have a viable replacement on the roster, his ass is benched.

19. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

a nice slot receiver could start immediately too for us I think...

20. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

diden't he get schooled at the senior bowl by geno atkins and company.