Rhodes a better tackler than Leonard !?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Here is something I think in this case PFF neglects to take into account.

Where they make their tackles. A safety at the LOS or near has a more difficult time as opposed to a prancing pony that is out in coverage. So yeah Leonhard might have missed more tackles but I guarantee many came at or near the line where a safety is more apt to get blocked or shoved out of the way by bigger lineman etc.

So these numbers are not a shocker. Kerry is a bigger more physically gifted player. You would have to be blind not to see that. However, they were used much differently. It is more difficult to discern how and why each made or missed tackles. I can also guarantee that Leonhard as small as he is wasn't carried by a ball carrier or hesitant to tackle like the more physically gifted Rhodes.

#21 Miamipuck, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Similar thing happens to baseball. There's this thing called Fielding percentage, and zone rating. Zone rating refers to how wide your defensive zone is, while fielding percentage refers to how errorless you are in fielding the ball. Naturally, higher zone rating usually is related to lower fielding percentage. Which makes a perfect sense; fielders - be it outfielder or infielder - that have high fielding percentage with low zone rating simply means they are not really hustling for the ball unless the ball is 'in his turf.' Big time liability in defense, if you ask me. This is because... baseball, at least on the defensive side of the ball, is a zero-sum game; if you add up all the defensive zone, you always get the full field. No more, no less. Thus, if one player sticks to his hole without making any effort outside his own zone, that means the neighboring fielders have to stretch their defensive zone that much - and wider zone means higher error percentage, so... you do the math.

P.S. Whoever that came up with the "Rhodes is better tackler than Leonhard" is a stupid moron that doesn't even deserve his own column (or whatever you he wishes to call it.) It just amazes me how people clearly devoid of thinking ability can write a stuff like that, let alone holding onto their job.

#22 Zach, Mar 21, 2010
  3. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Leonhard had a broken thumb.

4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I didn't see the stat where the safety makes a sack, causing a fumble, but doesn't bother to finish out the play, that's still going on, because he's too busy celebrating. Sherry definitely leads that category...

5. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

So, people are comparing Kerry Rhodes to a 5' 8" white safety now? How the mighty have fallen. Ed Reed lite, my ass.

Leonhard's going to be even better this season when he has full use of his hands.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That's one of the major problems with a lot of stats guys, they only look at the final stats when making an analysis. Watch the two play and you notice their styles are polar opposites: Leonhard will dive at ANY ball carrier coming near him, attempting to bring down anyone; Rhodes is extremely selective of when he tries to tackle, who it is, and how he does it.

Leonhard will make an attempt to hit regardless of his position, which can lead to broken plays since he will not try to reposition himself on the field. His size limits his range to a degree which causes him to leap at ball carriers, rather than allow him to take a few steps to gain a better reach. He has an all-out motor. Rhodes will abandon tackling someone for the chase in the hopes that he can catch up to them and snatch them from behind. He won't dive and take himself out of position which is hilarious because when he does try to make a tackle, he is usually in a terrible position and winds up getting bowled over.

7. steve-jets08

steve-jets08 New Member

on a scale of 1-10 who is a bigger pussy, i think that sums up this post

8. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

So when Rhodes attempted a tackle once a game he sticks it.

what a joke.

At least Leonard is out there trying to tackle every play.

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl8rmrb29x8[/YOUTUBE]

1:05 = Rhodes is a pussy.

1:40 = Leonhard* is a warrior.

Leonhard is one of my favorite players on this team and he is hands down the better tackler and better football player than Rhodes. Maybe not as athletic, but a better football player

#29 Martin&theJETS, Mar 21, 2010
  10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

That play in the playoffs when Leonhard hit the SD receiver, forced the "fumble", lost his helmet but still beat everyone into the pile for the ball showed me all I need to see. I don't care what some new statistic shows.

Honorable mention was the play he broke up in Cincinnati by taking out the legs of the WR inside the 5 causing another fumble. The man can play. I trust him to make the tackle.

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

That about nullifies the entire study.

12. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Michael Irvin is a retard.

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Kerry Rhodes didn't have a bad game either. A force-fumble sack and a pivotal onside kick recovery.

If Kerry Rhodes had Leonhard's heart, he'd be one of the best Safeties in the league.

14. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I didn't know Cromartie was on Cotch on that 3rd down conversion. Hopefully that guy won't look like such a prick when he's playing for us.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That site is garbage.

According to ProFootballFocus the following is true:

Kerry Rhodes was the 2nd best safety in the NFL last year.
    Jericho Cotchery was the 8th best WR in the NFL last year.
    Ben Hartsock was the 17th best TE in the NFL last year.
    Tony Richardson was the 29th best FB in the NFL last year.
    Thomas Jones was the 56th best RB in the NFL last year.
    Kris Jenkins was the 26th best NT in the NFL but Sione Pouha was the 5th best and Marqious Douglass (DE) was the 22nd best.
    David Harris was only the 21st best ILB.
    Nnamdi Asomugha was the 17th best CB.

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Clearly this site covers football played here:

[​IMG]

17. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Hahaha. Good point. Kerry could have been great but his mental capabilities limited him. Leonhard should be called Lionheart. He's smart and tries he reminds me of Wayne Chrebet on the defensive side of the field. I love the guy.

18. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

Leonhard was making fukin tackles one handed last year!! Kerry would have been on the sideline milkin the injury!

19. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That's the biggest problem with this type of a statistical analysis. It only takes into account what has been done, not what hasn't been done. Like when a QB refuses to look at whatever WR Asomugha is covering, or when a team decides to run away from Jenkins.

20. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

You can't quantify football, anybody who actually WATCHED the Jets play knows Leonhard played better all season.

That site is terrible.