Jets, Giants resolve turf battle over their new turf

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jcjet, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jcjet

jcjet Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/15/jets-giants-resolve-turf-battle-over-their-new-turf/

Jets, Giants resolve turf battle over their new turf
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2010 4:54 PM ET
    To cap a day that began with news of a coin-flip that reportedly left Jets owner Woody Johnson outraged, the NFL has resolved the problem of two teams sharing a new stadium, with each wanting to be the first to play a regular-season game there.

According to various members of the New York media, the Giants will host a game on a Sunday, and the Jets will host a Monday night game that same weekend.

It doesn't mean that the games will be played in Week One. There's a chance that the new venue will be dark during kickoff weekend, with the Giants and the Jets each playing on the road. Then, the opening of the stadium would be one of the highlights of Week Two, with the Jets hosting the Monday nigh game that concludes the second slate of games.

The Jets also will open the preseason at the new stadium.

Meanwhile, look for the prime-time games to be played in Week One and the Thanksgiving games to be announced next week, in conjunction with the league meetings in Orlando.

I'll take the Monday night as the first Jets game in the new stadium!

2. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Here's the same story from Schecter at ESPN

Giants, Jets both christen Meadowlands
    EmailPrintComments

ESPN.com news services
    NEW YORK -- The New York Jets and New York Giants both will play at home in their new Meadowlands Stadium on the opening weekend of the 2010 season.

The NFL says the Giants will play on Sunday afternoon, Sept. 12, while the Jets will host a Monday night game the next day.

Opponents have not been announced; the full league schedule usually is released in early April.

The Jets will host the first NFL game at the new stadium during the preseason in August.

Earlier Monday, the New York Daily News reported that the Giants won a coin toss conducted by the NFL to play the first game in the stadium. The Newark Star-Ledger reported that the Jets, who paid for half of the $1.7 billion stadium, were unhappy because they were not represented when the coin was tossed.

Only once have the Giants and Jets opened a regular season on the same weekend at Giants Stadium. In 1991, the Jets played Tampa Bay on Sunday, Sept. 1, and the Giants hosted the 49ers on Monday night, Sept. 2.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

nice, sounds like a decent resolution

4. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Excellent I am in NY from 10th to 22nd so better get my tickets ordered!!

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I hate Monday Night games! especially week 1, we wait all year to see a game and now we have to wait another night? It sucks.

Not to mention w/ it being a night game I cannot take my son.

6. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

Definitely going to be Jets-Vikings.

7. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I think the sensible thing to have done would have been to move the entire fixture schedule around so that the Jets could play the Giants in the opening game.

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Thats pretty cool :up: Nicely sorted out

9. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Okay, I'm a big fan of this move. I like it. I like it.

10. ........

........ Trolls

Yeah, I feel sorry for all of the STH, but it's great for those of us who can't get to the games. I can spend all day Sunday with the ticket watching the rest of the league open the season and STILL get to watch my Jets. Huge win!

11. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

This is like two kids sharing a bedroom. I want my own room dammit lol

12. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

Jets patriots more likley. NFL loves to have a certain amount of drama during primetime games.

13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

They better play someone good or the game is not going to be sold out. People hate going to MNF games and since the Jets are going to have to sell individual games tickets to sell out, only the Pats, Vikes.... etc are going to be sold out. If it was a Sunday, it would be sold out since its the first game, but Monday, I am not so sure. Our STH hate night games since a lot of them come from Conn. and LI. I personally think the idea of both teams playing the first weekend and the coin toss determining Sunday vs. Monday was very fair. I would rather play the following Sunday then Monday night. I just put in for a day off on Tue.

14. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

Good move by Goodell. I like that hes giving us the spotlight of opening up the season on MNF.

15. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I am calling the Ravens, nice matchup with Rex's old team. Can't do Vikes, not sure if Favre will be playing and CBS will be pissed if they lose the Pats. Please, no Pats, anything but the Pats. Lets play the Pats at home in December.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't mind a MNF game to open up, the first game is usually way too hot for me.

Our first game at Giants Stadium was a Thursday night vs Pittsburgh, we lost. Last time the home opener was MNF was New England in 2000, the miracle before the MNF miracle, Vinny led a comeback over the Pats.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Sunday Night Football is the marquee game, MNF gets the crappier matchups the way SNF used to before NBC got the SNF package.

18. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

Either way SNF and MNF are the 2 marquee games each week. What I ment was that he could of gave the marquee game to the Giants but instead chose us for it. Maybe we are getting some respect finally.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I can handle this just fine. Early September weekends are still nice Sundays so I'll get to take the kids out to do something fun on Sunday and still get to see the season opener. Maybe I'll watch some of the Pats game if it's at 4pm to see how much competition they're going to be for the season.

20. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Good resolution, but now have to plan ahead to get 9/13/10 off. Hmmmmm...