Off-Season Evaluation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

I am currently not to happy with our current offseason moves. I believe we are opening up new holes unecessarly while we could be correcting other positions. I really did not like the release of Thomas Jones because he was one of our most important components last year and was very solid for us. TJ is worth every penny and has been very dependable. And from what i hear leon washington mite be leaving which would hurt us even more. Our running game was our biggest strength last year and now were dismantling it. We went from going into this season with one of the best running back tandem to a question mark of our depth at running back. Thomas Jones will be very hard to replace espicially his production. More pressure will now we unecesarly put on sanchez. Also, although i like the cromartie pickup, i do not like the release of kerry rhodes. Yes he did slack last year but seemed to come on at the end of the year when we need him most. Having a safety at 6'3 with good speed is rare at the safety position. One reason our defense was very good last year and not great was because of our lack of "big play, playmakers" on the defense. Kerry Rhodes is a game changer who was the unique ability to create big plays. There is no way we will have near as talent as a player as kerry rhodes at safety this year. Right when we were on the cusp of having the best secondary in football, we take one of the brighter spots of our seconday away. All in all, i believe we've created more holes than we had at the begining of the off season. Other than needing a de, olb, and wr, now we need to find a new safety and new running, wholes that were before filled by very important players to our team. Replacing TJ and Rhodes productivity would be near impossible this year and we are a worse team for it. Anybody else with me here?

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Goodjobrepeatingeverythingsaidinmultiplethreadsalready.Ithinkyourareontosomething.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At least he knows where the space bar is.

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

What'saspacebar?

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm not getting crazy about things just yet. I have to believe we are going to add to what we have, especially in the defensive backfield.
    Rhodes had to go. He was a prima donna who didn't live up to his own hype. He wasn't respected in the locker room from what i've heard and he wasn't the "lights out" playmaker Rex or even he envisioned being in this defense.
    We all used to blame Mangini for not playing to his strengths but the guy was exposed and has not met expectations.
    While i loved TJ for his leadership and his work in the weightroom his play down the stretch declined and we really do need to get younger the position.
    I still wouldn't mind resigning him but i don't hold it against Tanny/Rex for looking at what other options are available.

7. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

With our Line anyone can run for us. The only reason to keep TJ was his work ethic and character but for 7 million dollars we couldn't keep him for that alone. I wouldn't mind us going after someone like Mike Bell from the Saints hes a RFA which we wouldn't have to give up draft picks for.

Everyone keeps talking about Oshiomogho Atogwe the safety from the Rams Id like to go after him but I think Rex is happy with what we have now unless someone drops to us in draft.

Kerry Rhodes has tons of talent but his head gets in the way.

I've had no complaints at all with the moves so far we are handcuffed with the final four crap. I wouldn't mind us going after some RFA though especially ones that are proven players why waste a draft pick on a potential when we can get someone thats already proven.

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Kerry Rhodes and "Playmaker" do not belong in the same paragraph.

9. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Leon is not gone yet and I hope he stays.I really like Leon and think the Jets should keep him.We will replace Kerry,I'm not worried about that part of our moves.I really want them to keep Leon though so I'm praying that they do, we can't afford to lose both TJ and Leon. Now that I think about it we haven't actually lost either player, we did release TJ but he might end up back in our lap.Leon should not go I can't emphasize this enough, I like Leon, I like him a lot. Do you like Leon as much as I do? I know Rex likes Leon and I know that Tanny likes Leon and it appears you like him as well. Either way whether you like him or not we need to win, that is the only goal we should really have. When Eric Smith replaced Kerry we really did not miss much, and now that we added Cro, well that just makes our defensive backfield that much better. Even if he did father numerous children in a number of different states. What are your thoughts on us keeping Leon? I want him, I did not know if I mentioned that or not.

10. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

Yea I dont believe the skys are falling or anything but just feel like we added a few more wholes. Although behind a good o line many rb will produce, TJ has proven he is above average and can get the job done far better than most running backs in the nfl. The number 1 thing we will miss from him is his consistency and reliability.

11. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I hope they don't add anymore wholes.

12. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

[​IMG]

This is a "whole" lot of something wouldn't mind being added to team

13. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

How many skies exactly do we have here on earth?

15. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Exosphere
    Thermosphere
    Mesosphere
    Stratosphere
    Troposphere

:grin:

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

how can you formulate an opinion on the offseason yet?....We're only 4 days into Free Agency!!

This thread shouldn't have materialized till July.

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Aren't those just levels?

Looked it up, I sucked in science class. Those are just the layers of the atmosphere.

18. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Yea i know I'm bored at work though

19. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Me as well, otherwise why would I look up that crap.

That being said, I learned something today so thanks. :up:

20. Devin G

Devin G New Member

I for one am pretty happy with the off season moves thus Far and it is still extremely early. I truley believe TJ was the prodcut of a great line- the only big runs he had, came from gaping holes. He NEVER made some miss in the backfield and break one for 60 yards. If he signs with KC as rumor has it- i think he doesnt break 1,000 yards next season. He he doesnt fumble and all that good stuff, but he was a product of our great line.

Regarding Kerry, so glad he is gone. How many times did he have a chance to really put a hard hit on someone but soft shouldered him instead. He had the chance to lay Wes Welker out and barely touched him. Also against BUF on Thursday night he had a chance to light up there TE and didnt- Matt Millen chimed right in and said that was why he got benched. We need someone back there that scares recivers. I for one liked the way E. Smith played when he had the chance- alteast he tackled people.

If we somehow pick up Adalius if he is cut, that STL safety i keep hearing about about and a somehwat decent RB i would consuider this off season a huge success cosider we couildnt sign a FA's.

Oh and if we can sign coles on the cheap- i would take him.