Jets Trade For Cromartie (2011 Conditional)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JAMESDEARTH, Mar 4, 2010.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Cromartie hits like a bitch, and I've taken some shots about him in the past. BUT...

I think this move will be beneficial for him and the defense. Cromartie will be playing A LOT more man converage than he did in SD, so he won't be asked to tackle many running backs (unless they get out past the backers) anyway. Plus, a change of scenery will be huge to this guy. He was intensely unhappy in SD, and Rex is a players coach.

Furthermore, if he can play at the level he did in the past, he will be a huge upgrade to the defense. All he is going to be asked to do is blanket the #2 guy, and play ball hawk. Cromartie is one of the better man coverage guys in the league, and being across from the #1 CB in the league is going to be a huge advantage. Additionally, this will help our pass rush without adding a pass rusher.

If all goes well, I can see this move producing 7-8+ turnovers than last year (that's interceptions, and fumbles), and improve our QB pressures/sacks.

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I like Cromartie, he reminds me a lot of Kerry Rhodes which kind of confuses me about the support but in the long run I think its a good move. Strengthens our CB depth and maybe makes people want to throw at Revis more since Lowery isnt on the other side.

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

If he plays like 2007, then watch out.

Or it could be a complete bust, and in comes Lowery.

This moves has great potential.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Ryan likes what he sees, he must have a plan for him.

5. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Woke up this morning all depressed because didn't think we'd be in the news cuz of the final 4 FA signing rule. Low and behold I was wrong think its a huge upgrade for us.

6. Tight

Tight Active Member

Damn seven kids...Shieeetttttt

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Well... He's not my favorite player, but fills a need. Pushing the pick back is good and we gain flexibility in the draft. I guess I'm happy.

8. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Exactly!

I'm a big ND goober, so I'd love for us to get Tate now!

9. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

A lot of talent, plus a lot of baggage... Could go either way. If he buys into the system, it's a steal. If he does what Rhodes did this year, we're looking at another Lito Sheppard...

10. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

My thoughts exactly.
    I really like this move. Cromartie is younger and is the FAR superior athlete to Sheppard.

Basically, the defense just got better by putting Crom on the other side of Revis. I don't see how that could be debated. Say what you will about how he hasn't lived up to his 2007 uber-stud year, or that he can't tackle....Cromartie is someone that the opposing QB is aware of. His athletic ability is scary, and he can make an insane play at any moment.

Now I totally would have preferred Nnamdi, or 1995 Deion Sanders, but for the price I think Tanny made a nice deal that upgraded our defense.

BTW, statistics show that Cromartie is the father to at least 10% of this message board.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

lol...well I hate ND with every bone in my body... and I'd love for us to get Tate. :grin:

I feel the kid is a great talent that could play slot to start and become a feild streching threat as well. Plus he's a very good return man.

12. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

This is a great trade because of what we gave up for him.

He can be a good CB on this team.

13. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Look at the wing-span my dudes. The wing-span.

14. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

is the front office just a little too confident in rex ryan's swagger rubbing off in a positive way on underachievers like cromartie?

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm definitely not a big fan of this trade, but if they had to trade a pick for him, at least it was in an uncertain and likely more shallow talent pool like 2011.

Cromartie was a very good cover man in 2007. That's nice. We're going into the 2010 season.

I'm resigned to hoping that Rex and Pettine and Thurman can get this guy focused on the field, to keep him focused on football, and keep him from exacerbating the problems he has had in the past during paternity issues, legal battles, on-field performance problems and issues in the locker room. Rex, so far, hasn't been able to do this type of thing with Rhodes, who has far, far less in terms of distractions to keep him from focus. This one could very well turn around and bite Rex in his ample and uber-confident ass.

Time will tell.

#315 abyzmul, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I remember Buttle talking about the idea of getting another top corner to go with Revis and take this D to another level. I liked the idea when he said it and I like this move.

17. HOI

HOI Active Member

Priceless shit..on Finheaven regarding the Cro trade...my fav

"By losing Lito and getting Cro the Jets just downgraded their secondary....David Lowery sucks too..."

I love these morons

18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Alert for cortland

Agreed. Think about, how many opportunities are there out there to find just that? For the price Tanny paid, it is certainly a risk worth taking.

I was less thrilled this morning than I was last night when I heard about it because I didn't know about his "Travis Henry-like" off the field lifestyle. That takes the bloom off of the rose for me. But, that's where the risk lies, and why it wasn't a higher pick - in THIS year's draft.

**** ALERT FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE****
    ATTENTION DAD'S IN CORTLAND NY: KEEP YOUR DAUGHTERS LOCKED UP AND UNDER COMPLETE SURVEILLANCE LAST WEEK OF JULY THROUGH MID AUGUST. MAD IMPREGNATOR ARRIVING IN TOWN. DON'T WORRY HE WON'T TACKLE YOU.

19. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Hey I give the front office for thinking out of the box on this one. Our system and a change of sceanery may be the perfect thing for him.

Now, I would like to see the pass rush strengthend and a dynamic slot receiver added to this team.

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

What a great trade. Wow, that guys a very good player. For a 3rd rounder next season? Wow.