The "we should get Torry Holt" thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Feb 6, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Another potential option to upgrade our #3 WR spot? They just mentioned on ESPN radio that Coles could possibly be released by the Bengals due to his lack of production in comparison to his big contract.

2. patcrain01

patcrain01 New Member

I agree. Holt is WAY long in the tooth and has slowed down significantly in the last 5 years.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

You're talking about upgrading a position (#3 WR) that will have a relatively minimal impact on the Jets offense. We're a running team with plenty of receiving options barring injury.

I don't see any issue using an older vet to patch upgrade a position that should have a minimal impact.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Haha. I was talking to MB about that. I fully expect to see him cut with Caldwell's emergence and Brown's tight fist.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

That would be the perfect fit IMO. He knows the system and has played slot here before (albeit in a diff system).

I was always an LC fan too. I'd love to see him back here as our #3 guy and to finish his career a Jet.

6. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

I don't think he's a big Tanny fan though. Maybe he'd swallow his pride and come back though, I wouldn't mind that at all. Very few come tougher than Coles.

7. ........

........ Trolls

I was shocked when the Bengals of all teams gave him that much, but with the rumblings of an uncapped year, I figured it was a low-risk situation for him given the fat roster bonus he got. A low signing bonus and high escalating salary. Still, it was an awfully expensive year for the Bengals. Time for Brown to cut his salaries down as much as he can.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

I think it was mostly about money for him. He thought he was worth more than the Jets were offering. Obviously after getting that contract and promptly cut (if it happens) for lack of production, you have to accept you're not worth that anymore.

9. sportzfanrl

sportzfanrl Banned

Idk about him. we should go for younger guys

10. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

The major problem I see is that Holt would probably be looking for more $$ than the Jets need to be spending on a #2/#3 receiver. He may have lost a step or two, but he isn't washed up by any means. Still a solid, reliable receiver. Just not a #1 anymore.

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

It was about the money and the fact Coles wanted a multi-year contract while Rex said that he only wanted to give veterans 1 year deals.

If we find a way to bring back Coles on the cheap sure why not.

Holt is already making it public that he would like to play for Martz in CHI.