The "we should get Torry Holt" thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I know everyone hates posts like "hey this guy is a FA player, should we get him?" and I totally get it but IMO picking this guy up would make a lot of sense, let me explain.

What we need in our WR group is a dependable guy with great route running and great hands. It also wouldn't be bad if that guy could bring some veteran leadership and be an example for the young WRs (like Cotchery is right now).

Holt is all these things! He's a great guy, has GREAT hands, is a very good route runner and still managed to get 700yds in an absymal Jaguars passing game.

Having such a solid guy on the field could really help Sanchez out, and also all of that experience, success and hard work could rub off on some of the younger guys.

In addition to this he has already worked with our WR coach so he'd be familiar with all the routine exercises and could help us get the best out of a highly talented yet unpolished WR Edwards.

Getting him would also prevent us from using a draft pick on a WR and addressing other needs.

He also would be the only old WR on the team.... the major knock on him would be speed but as a #3 WR that isn't really all that important.

So did I convince you guys? Hope so!

PS I wrote this because 99% he'll be RELEASED by the Jaguars so he would be free game for us.

2. Sanchez All Day

Sanchez All Day New Member

wow I kinda like this...

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Holt is a guy I wanted us to bring in a year ago... if he gets cut, it would be a solid move that buys us a season before we need to bring in a young WR. also correct me if I am wrong, but isnt next seasons class supposed to be loaded at the WR position?

also I still wouldnt hate trying to acquire a guy like Freddy Barnes on top of bringing Holt in, let Clowney walk and bring the ultimate possesion receiver prospect (from this draft) in to learn from one of the all-time greats

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Coulda just kept Coles if thats what the jets wanted to do

5. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

We definitely need another WR, but I don't see how the intangibles of signing a washed up veteran is going to solve that problem.

6. Sanchez All Day

I like Holt as a player and role model but we might need a quicker shifty guy to play the slot

7. Sanchez All Day

Maybe bring him in...and draft a WR late in the draft to eventually play slot

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I wanted him last year too :) but he wanted too much money.

I like the idea of waiting a year before drafting a WR because next year will be loaded (although this year ain't bad at all) plus I think all of our WRs could benefit from training one season with a guy with THE ring and who's known for training his ass off.

having him would also give us flexibility in the draft... if a guy we REALLY like falls to us good... otherwise we are already set.

If we don't get someone before the draft it's almost a lock that sooner or later we'll have to get someone IMO.

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Remember Leon is coming back...

Edwards + Cotchery + Holt + Clowney/someone + someone + B. Smith (more of a trick guy than a WR) would be a kick-ass WR group.

10. Sanchez All Day

Great point lol

We'd have two of the most reliable wide outs in cotchery and holt but also have probably the most unreliable wide out in Braylon

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

an offseason of Watching the way Holt prepares would no doubt have an effect on Braylon, no way it could be a bad effect, but it certainly wont make braylon work less, it may inspire him to learn how to catch the ball, and become a reliable target for his young gun

12. 1EyeWalker

1EyeWalker New Member

Great idea Mambo. Lets top it off with bringing Thomas Jones back and signing Pennington to backup Sanchez. Thank goodness Tannenbaum is our GM.

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Hehe I'll PM Tanny immediately then :p (on second thoughts, was it ironic? If so thanks nyjetsrule as usual :) )

If we get Pennington as a back-up and sign Torry Holt I'd be really really happy !

As for TJ one day I love him, one day I say we should move on... all in all I'd be happy if he stays one more year but if we can bring in someone like Cadillac Williams in his place I won't be disappointed. I also want to see how our #3 RB Chauncey Washington does in the off-season... I loved the pickup late last season. Didn't want to turn this threa in a RB discussion, sorry.

PS In case it was ironic because of the age factor I think we are a really young team at many position and we can afford to have a couple of old guys.
    At QB we have Sanchez and Ainge so a 34yr old back-up isn't that much of a problem... at WR no player currently on the team is older than 28... at RB Leon would be I think 28 and Greene is a rook.
    I agree we shouldn't be looking for a vet say on the DL... but at the above mentioned positions why not?

#13 Mambo9, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

just guessing here, but do you not like the idea because Holt is old? Well the guy is an all time great at getting open. he is still one of the best route runners in the NFL, so i do have faith he can get open against #3 cb's in the nfl. He has never been afraid to go over the middle, so he really should be ideal in a #3 capacity, next year we still won't be a pass first team, but we certainly could use a slot guy with the basic skill set to do the job.

If you don't like the idea try giving reasons, or something to back up your argument

15. ........

........ Trolls

We had tons of Holt threads last season and the consensus was that his age was a problem then. That hasn't changed. He's a year older, and a very temporary stopgap.

However, the situation has changed. Like you said, we have severe FA limitations and we have a need for a reliable slot target. Last year, he was being talked about as a temporary #1, which he no longer is. Now that we have Edwards, though, and no Stuckey, our needs are different. I'd love it if we addressed the need for a 3 in the draft, but Holt would be an excellent temporary solution this season either way. Now, the one caveat is that we'd need to give up on Clowney and Wright too if we were to go after a WR in the draft AND Holt. I have less of a problem with the former than the latter, but only for ST purposes.

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I dont think Holts age would be a huge issue since he wouldnt be in on many plays.

I wouldnt expect him to be on the field any more than 15 plays a game max. And that number could be substantially lower if the ground game is going well.

17. ........

........ Trolls

Also a good point. Again, it's an entirely different situation from last year when people were looking at him as a temporary #1. It's absolutely worth discussing now.

18. Paraphoe

Paraphoe New Member

I wanted Holt last offseason...

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I wouldnt call their passing game abysmal. Garrard did make the pro bowl sort of and sims walker is nice.

20. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Don't know if Holt is the guy, but signing a receiver would save us a draft pick we could use on the trenches.