What EXACTLY makes Gohlston a lousy player?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mrgoose, Jan 25, 2010.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

He's a bust and MT and RR are just sparing Woody more embarassment that Mangini made this pick.

He won't even be in the league in 2 years. He's a guy who never wanted to play football, yet managed to con scouts and the NFL into giving him $20 MM for doing nothing for 3 years.

A bust ? Not really....he did alot better than the rest of his college graduating class.

2. mrgoose

mrgoose Member

Those of you wishing we'd Deep-6 him, be careful what you wish for lol....

It would be the Jets' luck for this guy to go to NE or MIA and for the "light switch" to click on and then wreck havoc on our team and around the league.

3. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Being a good 3-4 end does not = alot of sacks. It means holding gaps, taking up blockers and pushing them back so that the linebackers can fill and on blitzing downs to help collapse the pocket. Gholston is not a linebacker and never will be, the only way I see him making an impact on this team is for him to gain some weight and play 3-4 End.. He's got the strength and the body-type for it. LB requires thinking/football instincts and Gholston is not able to do either. He is better off rotating in with Ellis and Douglas to keep our line fresh.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

when he came out, didn't he have to take the wonder-lick test like 14 times just to get the 'minimum' passing score, which is 1, and the first question on the test is 'what is your name?'

5. mrgoose

mrgoose Member

Interesting idea...but the one thing that we know he has is speed. If he were to put on weight to play DE, he might negate the one strength no one disputes - his speed.

#65 mrgoose, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  6. Jetsfan711

Jetsfan711 New Member

Umm no, he actually did pretty good, 23 score I think.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

This is as true as Mangini threatening to kill anyone who didn't agree with his tyrannical decision to pick Gholston despite no one wanting anything to do with him.

Rictor - I'm not sure about Gholston at 3-4 DE for a couple of reasons:

1 - 30 to 40 pounds is alot, even by NFL standards.

2 - That pretty much negates any chance of him becoming a good pas rusher.

3 - I doubt having him switch positions AGAIN would help him.

8. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Ray Lewis has lost alot of footspeed over the years and he makes plays consistently because he has the best INSTINCTS. We do not need Vernon to play OLB, our OLBs are doing well IMO.. We need to take someone who has ability and use them in the right ROLE. We can a. get rid of him and take a loss b. Pay him to play special teams and hope he will get LB (hahaha) c. Have him gain weight this off-season (270ish) and consequently strength, have Ellis take him under his wing and rotate him in @ 3-4 DE to rest our starters. I've seen the guy take on multiple blockers, I've seen him push tackles off the ball and I think judging on how little bodyfat he carries for his size that this is possible. The guy is 260 and easily under 8 percent, he can gain some weight.. Have him go out to dinner with Rex all off-season, haha.

9. mrgoose

mrgoose Member

Love to see what his rating is in Madden next year lol...

10. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

He did play end at ohio state (albiet 4-3) and this is what got him where he is. 30-40 lbs would make him 290, he is freakishly strong even for 260, so I think he can play 3-4 end @ 270-275. The LB experiment failed, he is not capable of reading/reacting and no amount of athletic ability is going to make up for poor instincts at the NFL level. He is a THREE technique player, he needs to be on the line where he is at home. And this does negate him being a good pass-rusher, but it gives him a use on the team: To rest our ends and keep them fresh, maybe he'll make some impressive plays along the way and fufill his potential. We did draft him to rush the qb, but it's not realistic at this point. The LBs get the sacks in a 3-4 and Gholston has proven he's no LB.. So beef him up and put him in the position he was good at and see what the hell happens.

#70 Rictor33, Jan 26, 2010
  11. JetsLookingforDWare

Based on what...not doing anything there up to this point? And the plan to fix that would be to switch him to a new position where he'd also have to gain weight (on a very filled out frame mind you) and learn a completely different style of play?

3-4 DE is not 4-3 DE just because it's still called DE. The two positions have almost nothing in common besides being called DE. LBs do more than just get sacks in the 3-4...This is the main reason I can't stand the levels Gholston bashing eventually reaches...few fans have anything more than a basic knowledge of the defense...if that...and we've been running the D for what...4 years now?

12. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Based on the fact that he has been given ample opportunity to perform and has not. I UNDERSTAND the difference in 3-4/4-3 end. So I throw something out there and you immediately assume I do not know the difference between the two? I am not bashing Gholston, I am simply saying that there might be ways to make him an effective player. I am simply saying that LBs get more sacks in a 3-4 then defensive ends do. Not that the sole purpose of LBs in a 3-4 is to get sacks. It's a different style of play, but it's closer to what he was good at then playing LB and having to learn to read/cover in space. Shaun Ellis made the transition (he was a bigger 4-3 end) so who's to say Vernon can't? He's strong as hell.

13. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I highly doubt it. If he couldn't get motivated on a Rex Ryan team...

14. JetsLookingforDWare

He started 4 games in 2 years...didn't look bad either...Otherwise, I have no clue as to where the rest of this "ample" sample size came from.

You should at least know that 3-4 DE's play the 5-technique man...I made no assumptions, I just worked with what you gave me.

Another way to make him an effective player is by letting him develop...which the organization seems perfectly fine with doing. Again, it seems like a waste of all that athleticism and speed...and 2 years...to make him learn a new position AND change his body type around (after he already did so from this year to last year).

Ellis was actually drafted by Parcells as a 3-4 DE...

It's not even that Gholston can't do it...he probably could...it's just not something that would happen overnight and we already have a bunch of people whining about the first position change.

15. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

2 years is a little longer than overnight.

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I understand that everybody is all over Mangini for this bad pick, and deservedly so. However, how do we know that Mangini wasn't also behind the Revis, Harris, Leon, Keller picks?

17. JetsLookingforDWare

Mangini had little (see: nothing) to do with anything...pick, trade, or signing...that has worked out for this team.

But not that long in the grand scheme of things, especially considering the starting spots were locked down by good, solid vets (Pace being better than solid).

#77 JetsLookingforDWare, Jan 26, 2010
  18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

The grand scheme of what things? The evolution of man from a bipedal organism into some type of floating brain-fish? You're right, two years doesn't really matter. A career that averages 4-5 years for a role player with little promise? Huge.

19. JetsLookingforDWare

Pretty much everything.

20. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I had the exact same outlook. Afraid to draft him but more afraid to let him fall to the Pats and become a superstar. Somehow I suspect that affected the Jets' thinking too. It's always such a nuisance to be picking right before those A-holes!!